Detox day...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Detox day...

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:16 pm

If you ate too much Halloween candy this weekend, raise your hand.

Mine is up high. In fact, by Sunday night I didn't want any dinner. By this morning (Monday), I was still feeling icky. It's like I overdosed on sugary junk, and need to detox.

However... I am doing just that. I ate a very light breakfast and lunch, choosing plain food that would be gentle on my much-abused digestive system. And I'm now feeling MUCH better physically.

And mentally, I'm grateful that I've reached the point where I can have a really big bump in the road and still get right back on track. That I genuinely WANT to eat lightly because it makes my body feel better, and am not doing so out of misguided self-punishment or an attempt to compensate. That I recognize that kind of eating as "not normal for me (anymore)" and can just STOP IT.

"Mark it and move on" writ large. :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:12 am

I did! I ate a bunch of Halloween candy on Saturday night (my church had a big party that night), and I felt AWFUL all day on Sunday. Plus, I realized after eating that candy, that I really do not like that kind of chocolate anymore. It tastes way too artificial for me now.
Like you, I've spent the past couple of days eating foods that are much gentler and nicer to my body. I'm also at that point where I can move on and get back on track, after having a bad eating day.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:01 am

My hand is down. I had no Halloween candy! It wasn't a conscious choice. I didn't buy any and wasn't in a place where it was available.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:30 pm

wosnes wrote:My hand is down. I had no Halloween candy! It wasn't a conscious choice. I didn't buy any and wasn't in a place where it was available.
I didn't have any, either. I live in an apartment complex and knew we wouldn't be getting any trick-or-treaters, so didn't bother to buy any candy. At the end of the evening I did wish I at least had had one of those little Snickers bars or something.

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Same here marygrace! Our apartment complex has a large population of mature folks (also known as the 65+ crowd). In the past year I've lived there I think I've only seen a handful of kids and most of the time they are coming to see grandma and grandpa.
I actually wish some kids had come trick or treating, it would have been fun. However, not having that stuff around is way better for me. For some reason I'm way more likely to eat the fun size candy bars than the bigger ones. We have some regular sized M&Ms and Snickers in the house and I don't even dream of eating them--even on S days. The little ones however seem so harmless...until you've eaten 10!
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:08 pm

I think I actually ate less junk than I've done since I was old enough to eat solid foods, though it wasn't by plan. We had a big dinner before taking the kids trick-or-treating (pizza, so much healthier! :-)) and I was so worn out after that I was too tired to eat much. There's still a ton of stuff around so I'm sure I'll make up for my bout of relative virtue next weekend (butterfingers are my downfall).

And the truth is, I think it's OK (maybe even a duty!) to indulge a bit on Halloween.

Some previous discussions of the subject:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4284

Reinhard

levictoria

Post by levictoria » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Okay, I will proudly raise my hand here. I ate it, but I didn't gorge myself like I would have in the past with my "all or nothing" mentality. I think I had 6 Reese's PB cups between Thursday-Sunday.

It could have been much worse, trust me.
Victoria
Starting Weight 204.6
Starting Date Aug 24, 2017
Current 200.4
Total: -4.2

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 am

I imagine this is more of an issue in the US. I forgot in was Halloween until the day after.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Mostly an issue if you're in the US, have a kid of trick-or-treat age, live in an area that gets trick-or-treaters, and have a spouse who is determined to (a) offer the "good stuff" and (b) have plenty. (He overbuys drastically.)

And, of course, if you yourself just give in. :) Ultimately, I chose.

Like Thanksgiving and other "feast" holidays, not an issue as long as it's confined to one day and isn't a "season."