Happy Thanksgiving!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicest of the Damned

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy the turkey and all the sides, but without the sides of guilt or deprivation that people on some other diets get on days like Thanksgiving.

I'm posting this now because I'll probably be busy the next couple of days, getting everything ready for Thanksgiving.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:06 pm

And Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. I'm strategizing as I sit here. I'll probably eat a "late" breakfast."

Thanksgiving "dinner" is at 2:00 PM. I'll make a side plate, and have that about 7:00 PM.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:52 am

Happy Thanksgiving! (without all the searches for low fat recipes for all the holiday favorites -- come on, people, who wants fake gravy????)

:lol:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:04 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Enjoy the day -- and the meal!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Wishing each of you a Happy Thanksgiving.
Or....Happy special "S" Day.

BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Savor every bite!!!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:31 am

SpiritSong wrote:Happy Thanksgiving! (without all the searches for low fat recipes for all the holiday favorites -- come on, people, who wants fake gravy????)

No doubt. I hate, this time of year, coming across articles exhorting us to have a "healthy" Thanksgiving and Christmas by replacing real holiday food with nauseating, fake "low fat" versions of stuffing, turkey, "eggnog" and the like. Only a demented sadist would serve diet "gravy" and diet "cake" for the holidays, but I'm sure it happens. In the paper today, I am looking at an editorial telling us to avoid stuffing, gravy, and similar to be "healthy," as if one day a year were the cause of obesity and must be strictly regulated.

The whole point of holidays is that you get to indulge....for that one DAY (not the entire two months.) If you eat like a normal person, there's no need to force down foul tasting low-fat garbage; eat the real thing, enjoy it, and go back to your normal No S way of eating.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:19 pm

RJLupin wrote:
SpiritSong wrote:Happy Thanksgiving! (without all the searches for low fat recipes for all the holiday favorites -- come on, people, who wants fake gravy????)

No doubt. I hate, this time of year, coming across articles exhorting us to have a "healthy" Thanksgiving and Christmas by replacing real holiday food with nauseating, fake "low fat" versions of stuffing, turkey, "eggnog" and the like. Only a demented sadist would serve diet "gravy" and diet "cake" for the holidays, but I'm sure it happens. In the paper today, I am looking at an editorial telling us to avoid stuffing, gravy, and similar to be "healthy," as if one day a year were the cause of obesity and must be strictly regulated.
Can we report the writer of that editorial to Homeland Security? If they're not a terrorist, they're at least clearly un-American.

Nothing you do or don't do on one day out of the year is going to make much difference to your overall weight. If you're fat, it's because you eat too much most of the time, not because you ate a lot on Thanksgiving.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Different festival, but I once read in a slimming magazine that it's not what you eat between 24 December and 26 December that matters, it's what you eat between 26 December and 24 December.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Too solid flesh wrote:Different festival, but I once read in a slimming magazine that it's not what you eat between 24 December and 26 December that matters, it's what you eat between 26 December and 24 December.
I absolutely agree -- with an exception for the 4th Thursday in November (or the 2nd Monday in October if you're Canadian).

Just got back from my daughters and we had a huge feast. Just like the last couple of years, I had one serving of everything and it all fit on one plate, plus one small piece of pie.

I was looking at the table before we started to eat and realized that with the exception of one dish, everything was made from scratch, including the bread and broth for the dressing. I was pretty proud of us. I even made the jellied cranberry sauce. It's so easy, and much prettier and tastier than the canned stuff.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:53 am

marygrace posted this article here last month:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20101011 ... -your-diet

The results of that study seem to indicate that it's the average number of calories you take in every day over the long term that determine what you will weigh. It averages out, as long as you don't splurge too often. Once a year is not too often.

Now, if you make an "eating season" out of all the time between Halloween and Super Bowl Sunday, that's an entirely different matter. As it is if you have some medical condition where eating a lot on one day of the year really could harm you.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:40 am

You forgot Groundhog Day, St. Patrick's Day, and The Master's. :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:17 pm

The whole point of holidays is that you get to indulge....for that one DAY (not the entire two months.) If you eat like a normal person, there's no need to force down foul tasting low-fat garbage; eat the real thing, enjoy it, and go back to your normal No S way of eating.
Agreed. I know a personal trainer who hosted Thanksgiving dinner at her home one year, and for dessert, she served high-protein diet cookies made with soy flour. When I heard that, I balked--but this is the woman who advocates eating protein shakes and instant oats nuked with water every 2-3 hours. Ugh.

On the other hand, my Thanksgiving was fantastic. A friend and I split most of the cooking for a vegetarian feast (it was basically a side dish extravaganza, but I think side dishes are the best part anyway), and a third friend made three fresh loaves of homemade bread. We had pumpkin and raspberry pie for dessert--I definitely ate too much, but it's one day and that's fine. Equally great, everything was made from scratch =)