New NOSer with questions

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jethro

New NOSer with questions

Post by Jethro » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi everyone I'm new in NOS and have questions.

1. Sometimes I like to have for breakfast a protein shake. It fits in a plate. Does this count as a meal in a plate?

2. Sometimes due to unforeseen circumstances I cannot eat lunch. Do I use 2 plates for dinner or 1 for dinner and 1 for a midnight dinner?

3. I work out doing interval training on a stationary bike and elliptical for eight 30 second sprints 3 times a week.

According to the experts, each 2 minutes of sprints are as potent as 2 hours of aerobic exercise.

http://www.cbass.com/Sprintendurance.htm

Thus, my workout is equivalent to 12 hours of steady aerobic exercise per week.

Do I still need to do additional exercise for the remaining time on workout days -10 minutes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday - and for the off days - 14 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday - to accumulate the required 14 minutes per day five days a week?

Thanks !

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Welcome!

1. The protein shake would count as your meal for breakfast.

2. When you can't eat lunch, are you hungry enough at dinner that you really need two plates? I don't see why you shouldn't be able to have a little more at dinner... but even if you skipped lunch, two plates at once seems kind of excessive. Before you started the diet how did you handle this?

3. Exercise is not technically part of No-S - Shovelglove is its own system that calls for 14 minutes of exercise per day. However, I read the link you provided and I think that what he's saying is that these sprints are effective in making your cardiovascular system more efficient. It may keep you fit (in the sense of being able to do intense exercise), but may not be enough to help you lose weight if that's your goal. 12 minutes a week of exercise won't burn a heck of a lot of calories, even if they are extremely high intensity. It's up to you if you want to add more exercise or not. You could start off by just keeping your regular plan and then add in more exercise if you find you're not losing weight.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi Spudd!

Thanks for your response.

As far as number 2, before NOS I ate dinner until I burst. That's why I started NOS.

Seems to me the plate rule provides an automatic break on food volume.

My problem is how to fit the last 2 daily plates in the evening:

A. Two at once, or

B. Two evening dinners or

C. Only one plate?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Jethro wrote:Sometimes due to unforeseen circumstances I cannot eat lunch. Do I use 2 plates for dinner or 1 for dinner and 1 for a midnight dinner?
Spudd wrote:Welcome!

2. When you can't eat lunch, are you hungry enough at dinner that you really need two plates? I don't see why you shouldn't be able to have a little more at dinner... but even if you skipped lunch, two plates at once seems kind of excessive. Before you started the diet how did you handle this?
It's one plate at each meal, not 3 plates daily. If you're unable to eat lunch, you might consider eating a small meal (aka snack) as soon as you can after the missed meal, just enough to tide you over until dinner.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 pm

I skip lunch a lot because work can get crazy. I kind of vary what I actually do. I set the rule that if I miss lunch and then I'm hungry when I get home from work, I eat a small, lunch sized meal (my lunches are always just smaller than dinner - not that that's a good thing - and usually consist of something like soup or a sandwich or a small portion of leftovers).

Then if I get hungry well before I plan on going to bed, I will have a normal dinner. If I don't get hungry before bed or not until right before bed, then I just skip the meal.

Since I've been doing NoS, I've gotten better at distinguishing hunger from boredom. So I don't always need my 3rd meal. Sometimes I still do though, and this allows me the flexibility I need to mesh this plan with my somewhat chaotic schedule.

The biggest thing I recommend is coming up with *a* set of rules that you will use that make sense to you and fit your lifestyle *before* that day where you skipped lunch (less bias) so you have a plan of attack. If you try the rules and they don't work out, find another neutral time to write new rules for skipped lunch days.
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)