This habit thing has some clout.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ThomsonsPier

This habit thing has some clout.

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:46 am

Given that December is replete with festive eating opportunities (and for a number of other reasons), I decided at the beginning of the month that I wouldn't be too strict with my eating and allow an S-event every day in celebration. I tend to forget to take them through the year.

It appears that my habits have become more powerful than I had realised. It took me until the 14th, halfway through the month, to find anything that I deemed worthy of breaking the rules and consuming. Everything else either fit nicely into a meal or just didn't appeal. Since then, I've only had two more wilful 'failures' and both of those were for things that I would never eat outside the festive season.

On another note, I thought this might be of interest to some; it's a look at what people eat during Christmas when they're not focused on roast birds.

Merry Christmas!
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:31 am

The piece from the BBC about what others eat for Christmas is very interesting. The shrimp and rice caught my eye, but it all looked good.

Here's a similar piece from The Today Show. Again, it all looks good, and I'm really craving some meatballs. Herring, too. I've not had that in years! No, I'm not Swedish.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Turkey! I thought it would be a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding. Since I live in the heart of cattle country USA, we will be having prime rib, twice baked potatoes, "Chinese coleslaw" (which is neither Chinese nor coleslaw) and homemade bread using the recipe I posted in the Off Topic forum. I have boughten cheesecake and I'll make a homemade apple pie since my son didn't get any at Thanksgiving.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:29 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:Turkey! I thought it would be a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding.
Yorkshire pudding does generally make an appearance. The traditional UK Christmas bird is goose, but I've yet to find a supplier who doesn't charge a ridiculous amount. Turkey has taken over since they were brought in from North America.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

We've had ham and scalloped potatoes for years. My daughter is cooking this year and she's making a turkey. She's already emailed to find out how to make dressing and gravy.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:04 pm

It's summer here, so we tend to have a mixture of traditional and salady foods - seafood (e.g. king prawns), ham, turkey (the meat is often served cold) and salads and bread...followed by Christmas pudding, brandy butter and fruit salad...

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:43 pm

funfuture wrote:It's summer here, so we tend to have a mixture of traditional and salady foods - seafood (e.g. king prawns), ham, turkey (the meat is often served cold) and salads and bread...followed by Christmas pudding, brandy butter and fruit salad...
The cold meal sounds good.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:16 pm

I should have added that cherries feature largely at Christmas here too. They come into season about now and grace every Christmas table.