A Head Shaker?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

A Head Shaker?

Post by Over43 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:12 pm

I had 14 people over last evening for Holiday dinner. I bought a premade dinner from the local grocer and then built around it.

A relative I married into (can't choose???) wouldn't let her spawn have any gravy because I used butter in the rue, and then used the prime rib drippings. (It was tasty...) Her explanation is...butter is bad.

Thirty minutes later she sevred him at least 4 cups of ice cream with sprinkles. (I am not exaggerating on the amount.)

I don't know how to even work the thought process around this one? :shock:
Last edited by Over43 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

gk

Re: A Head Shaker?

Post by gk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Over43 wrote: A relative I married into (can't choose???) wouldn't let her spawn have any gravy because I used butter in the rue....
I gotta say....I just love how you word things... :lol:

Not a whole lotta logic there is there. Maybe she's delusional in thinking that ice cream doesn't count. I lived in that world for some time myself. :D

Too funny!!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:58 am

Here's my advice: it doesn't make any sense so don't think about it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:52 pm

wosnes wrote:Here's my advice: it doesn't make any sense so don't think about it.
Thank you. I have actually let it go. But, unfortunately for all of you, I had to say something to someone.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:41 am

Couple of kinds of delusional thinking going on here.

First is the idea that some foods are "bad" and should be completely taboo. Now, this makes some sense- you probably shouldn't eat any amount of things like rat poison. But then some people try to apply it to foods that people have eaten for centuries without an obesity problem.

The other idea is that what you eat is more important than how much you eat. You see, as long as you avoid the "bad" foods, whatever they are at the moment, you can eat as much as you want.

If butter really were responsible for the obesity epidemic, we'd expect to see a drop-off in obesity rates in the US around the mid-twentieth-century, when people switched to margarine. We'd also see higher obesity rates in France than in the US. That's not what we see.

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Um, the ice cream is made from the same stuff as butter - CREAM! It's just in a different form. Some people are just ignorant; they truly don't know any better.

Glad you've let it go...
Eileen

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Nicest of the Damned wrote:Couple of kinds of delusional thinking going on here.

First is the idea that some foods are "bad" and should be completely taboo. Now, this makes some sense- you probably shouldn't eat any amount of things like rat poison.
No, but you can take them as medicine!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Back in the day, I priggishly did not add the teaspoon of salt or whatever it was to the blondie recipe I made. Never mind the stick of butter or cup of brown sugar. Salt was BAD.

What I was trying to do was to do damage control. If I couldn't make the blondies good for me, then at least I could make them less bad.

Today, I add the salt. I also save the blondies with butter, sugar AND M&Ms! for special occasions.

Oh the knots we twist ourselves into...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Although really the best policy is to just let people have their prejudices, since we all definitely have our own, what may have been going on down deep is the idea that you make exceptions when the stakes are high enough. For example, many here have learned that they would have a moderate serving of a really good dessert but not 8 ounces of garden variety milk chocolate on an S day, even though it's allowed. Or alternately, I might have a lighter meal on an S day, but a rich dessert, because I can eat only so much food and still feel good. So she may have been projecting that an entree with "bad' ingredients is not worth the use of appetite, but even bad ice cream is, because HER attachment to sweets is greater than her attachment to gravy. I'm just guessing. Some will sacrifice for savory--the potato chip crowd-- and some for sweet. And many will foist it on their children, which is a tricky area. I don't have children, but I think I would opt for trying to guide them in trying to avoid being too full. but it's over now.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:43 pm

oolala53 wrote:Although really the best policy is to just let people have their prejudices, since we all definitely have our own, what may have been going on down deep is the idea that you make exceptions when the stakes are high enough. For example, many here have learned that they would have a moderate serving of a really good dessert but not 8 ounces of garden variety milk chocolate on an S day, even though it's allowed. Or alternately, I might have a lighter meal on an S day, but a rich dessert, because I can eat only so much food and still feel good. So she may have been projecting that an entree with "bad' ingredients is not worth the use of appetite, but even bad ice cream is, because HER attachment to sweets is greater than her attachment to gravy. I'm just guessing. Some will sacrifice for savory--the potato chip crowd-- and some for sweet. And many will foist it on their children, which is a tricky area. I don't have children, but I think I would opt for trying to guide them in trying to avoid being too full. but it's over now.
It amuses me because until rather recently, last 40 years or so, the question or observation wouldn't have been about whether ice cream is good and gravy bad, but the best way to make either one of them! I think that is more valid than whether one is good and the other bad.