Mint alternatives

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sporkfancier

Mint alternatives

Post by sporkfancier » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm

So, yesterday, I popped in an English mint before a client meeting, and didn't even think about the fact that it was a 'sweet' until long after. The problem, of course, is that i was just looking for a breath freshener, so i didn't even think of it as food/snack.

Does anyone have suggestions for good N-day alternatives?
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:33 pm

Altoids are about at minty as they get and I'm sure they aren't more than five or ten calories...
This stuff is really borderline and I wouldn't even worry about it, unless you are in the habit of eating ten mints a day, as candy, not as a quick breath freshener..
Of course, keeping a travel size toothpaste and toothbrush in your desk would be calorie free and better for your teeth..

Have a nice day Cam!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:09 pm

I like a nice hot cup of peppermint tea...calorie and sugar free.

How about sugarless minty gum?

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:36 pm

Jan-Tz wrote:I like a nice hot cup of peppermint tea...calorie and sugar free.
That's an interesting idea. I'll check that out.

Cam

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:40 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Altoids are about at minty as they get and I'm sure they aren't more than five or ten calories...
This stuff is really borderline and I wouldn't even worry about it, unless you are in the habit of eating ten mints a day, as candy, not as a quick breath freshener.
Yeah, altoids are good and strong--curiously strong, actually.

I suppose that's the thing, though, isn't it? It was more the problem of it being an English mint, which to me is far more candy than mint. Your suggestion of a toothbrush/etc. is a good one that I used at my previous job. Now, though, my office mates are pranksters, and I can certainly imagine pepper or something far more disgusting defiling any toothbrush I bring in.

What would be ideal would be some Xyletol mints, but I haven't been able to find any as yet.

Cam

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:00 pm

I don't think a little mint here and there would be a big offender. I personally don't think it would make a dent in your weight.

I also think that the difference lies in the reason you ate the mint. If you polish off a package of mentos, or constantly pop in mints because you're bored or feel like eating, that's different. If you take a mint to freshen breath before a meeting, little harm can be done.

Just my $0.02!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:16 pm

If you polish off a package of mentos, or constantly pop in mints because you're bored or feel like eating, that's different.
Precisely!

Peace,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:05 pm

How about sugar-free gum? That's what I use when I can't brush, though I also tend to be a compulsive brusher.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:09 pm

Hi Nathan!
LOL...