I don't like S days at all and can't do it without bingeing

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gettheweightoff

I don't like S days at all and can't do it without bingeing

Post by gettheweightoff » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:58 am

I just started No-S 4 days ago and had been going strong. Today was my 5th day and I did well this morning and at lunch and had a scheduled treat for tonight for New Years.

My husband and I planned to cook at 6pm so that it would be ready at 7pm making it 6 hours after my last meal. However, we were running around and had some unexpected errands and we didn't get home until 8. I was starving and had my "treat" in the car. Because I was still hungry I ate another treat I had saved for another S day and then 2 cookies that the kids didn't want in the car... this lead to some bread and some other things....

I finally ate our meal at 8:40pm and although I am stuffed I was definitely out of control and binged and did not like it.

Now I know that S days are NOT a licence to go mad or to "be an idiot". But I am an idiot because I have a bad binge eating problem and I should have known better than even buying treats even if they were sugar free.

Eating without snacks and sugar has really, truly helped me. I have felt so good the past few days and in control.

I had been thinking about this S day for days now as I had a craving for sugar free chocolate almonds. They were good but because i was so hungry I wolfed them down.

So, my first S day was a total disaster and I hated the out of control feelings and experience of it.

Does anyone here do the NO-S "diet" without S days even though it's not recommended.

I just don't think I'm strong enough to do S days at all. I have done No-S and other plans like this before and every time I go outside the 3 meals I seem to go overboard and off the ledge. I feel pathetic and guilty and stupid right now. I suppose with tomorrow being the new year I am going to make my new year's resolution to go no-s ALWAYS.

Thanks for listening and for any suppor.
:cry:

:cry:

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:29 am

Oh, you are SO hard on yourself, and all this for an S day, a day when you CANNOT FAIL! Seriously, you need to repeat this a few times - you cannot fail on S days.

OK; you binged. That doesn't mean you can't do S days. It may just mean you went too long without eating. You may want to read KCCC's pinned post on the stages of No S, because it seems as if you're trying to get way ahead of yourself. It's unrealistic to expect that your first S day is going to be perfect. Was your first step? The first time you rode a bike? No S means learning and practice, and you'll get better.

One of the main purposes of S days is to serve as a release valve for the pressure of controlling your eating the rest of the week. If you're beating yourself up about an S day, you're losing one of the main benefits of an S day.

No S is not a diet; it is a lifestyle change. The changes you make are meant to last for the rest of your life. Do you really think you can go the rest of your life without a snack? A sweet? Like many, if not all of us, you need to learn how to enjoy these things in moderation. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

By the way, my love of chocolate-covered almonds is embarrassing. I usually start my Saturdays with chocolate-covered almonds for breakfast - and they are NOT sugar free!

Good luck with this. No S IS hard at the beginning, but it really, truly gets easier as time goes on.

RichTJ99

Post by RichTJ99 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:28 am

I wouldnt be so hard on yourself. I started right there with you & had a slip on Tuesday. I think you need to remember the 1 day at a time slogan. Just worry about today, dont worry about slipping up, just keep on trying.

I am also seeing how Starla is right in that its a lifestyle change. I see how my starving myself all day so I could nosh all night & stay on my WW points wasnt a healthy way to manage myself.

I am feelign better (though breakfast is still a challenge) & even though its 1245am & I have not eaten since 630, I know eating now is a choice vs 'having' to snack at night.

I suspect we are all "OCD" folks & if you can give yourself time to get used to it, it will become as normal to you as snacking all night is to me. I know once I do this for a while it will become the norm for me.

Give yourself a chance & just pick yourself up & try again tomorrow. If you fall off tomorrow morning, pick yourself up & start again tomorrow afternoon.

Again, I am as new at this as you so what do i know :)

Happy new year, tomorrow is another day. You dont need resolutions, just keep at it.

Thanks,
Rich

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:36 am

Thank you soooo much.

If you are really sure it will get easier I will keep at it. The binge was bad I'll admit but not truly as bad as I have done in the past.

I'll keep at it I suppose but the S days still scare the crap out of me.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:34 pm

I agree with the others...you are too hard on yourself!! Give it time. They have already said it so beautifully that I have no more to add. Just want to chime in with my support for you. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Give it TIME!!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:57 pm

And I also agree with the others. You're being way too hard on yourself. I wouldn't even consider what you ate a binge. The day didn't turn out as you planned and you overate.

By going No-S always, you're cutting out a huge portion of the joy related to eating and other life events, setting yourself up to always feel guilt if you indulge.

I consider it more abnormal to go without S days than to occasionally over-indulge on S days.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:29 am

Thanks everyone.

Today I had 1 sugar free chocolate bar after my lunch and I waited for dinner.

I had my dinner and a sugar free high protein hot chocolate for dinner.

The only problem is that my cravings are back. I definitely had the temptation to start snacking today but I told myself that I had that chocolate bar and the hot chocolate and that is enough.

If I give in and have another cookie I will go all out and it's not worth it.

RichTJ99

Post by RichTJ99 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:05 am

Glad to hear that today was a better day. BTW, I also prefer the 'ease' of non S days. S days seem to add more temptation than I would like vs being days i get a treat.

I really love how simple this is, eat a bagel & banana for breakfast (NO SNACKS), Turkey Sandwich, Pretzels and an apple for lunch (NO SNACKS), reasonable dinner with an Apple (I am eating so much more fruit than I did before). No snacks after dinner.

Its just so easy to follow. I find if I eat something junkier for lunch, I pay the price in hunger pains before dinner. If I eat Turkey or some other healthier choice for lunch with fruit, I am OK until about 5:30 (dinners around 6:15).

While I am sure that the scale is wrong, I feel better without all the snacks.

Anyway, good for you!

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:20 pm

I am pleased to report that yesterday I did have 1 snack right after meal 2 I did not fall off and "go wild". I suppose m y first s days was definitely like training wheels and I freaked out a bit.

My cravings did come back with a vengence but I did not give in and I got right back on track. Today is an S day but I had two in a row already so I don't feel the need to use it because I was only 4 days in when I got my first two S days (there were 3 available since it was new years eve on friday).

Anyways, I hope the S days get easier. I happen to have a very all or nothingy mentality so that's probably why the freak out happened.

:wink:

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:29 am

gettheweightoff wrote:I am pleased to report that yesterday I did have 1 snack right after meal 2 I did not fall off and "go wild". I suppose m y first s days was definitely like training wheels and I freaked out a bit.
You did it! That means you CAN do it.

It DOES get easier. The first month is the hardest. You're fighting all the cues to overeat that we all are. But, in the first month, you're also fighting your own established habits. When you get your No S habits established, your habits switch sides and fight on your side, rather than against you the way they're doing now.

If you're still having a problem with snacks turning into binges after about three months, I've got some mods that you might want to try. I also had a problem stopping once I got started eating, and I added some mods to take care of it. But I wouldn't recommend starting any mods yet, not until you've got your No S habits well-established.

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:47 am

I did it.. I did it.

My second week on No-S had my S-day today and I did it without going crazy.

Yes, this can be done!

RichTJ99

Post by RichTJ99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:00 am

Great job!!

I am finding that I am thinking about food while I am eating it on S days during an extra snack period.

For example, today I had a few "oh's cereal" with my breakfast (its a sugary cereal imo). I enjoyed it.

At around 2pm I was out with the wife & she said lets stop by Duncan Donuts & grab the eggwhite veggie flatbread sandwiches (300 cal). I had lunch around 12:15 & while I did eat the 'treat' I did notice that I wasnt really so hungry.

During the eating I was thinking, I am not even really hungry & I am eating this anyway. It gave me something to think about.

I can see where getting more educated about why I eat & when I eat (bored) will make S days tougher to 'cheat' - though I know S days arent cheat days but reward days.

I didnt binge at all, but being a guilty person, I didnt enjoy my treats like I thought I would during the week. I was pretty excited for the S day.