No Shilly-shallying!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mrsj

No Shilly-shallying!

Post by mrsj » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm calling 2011 the year of No Shilly-shallying or Get With The Program!

Last year I only played around with No S and the results reflected that.
This year I am getting with the program!

Anyone is welcome to join me at any time. This is NOT a challenge, more of a commitment.

It is not neccessary to post daily like in the old challenges. That's what the Daily Check-in is for. This is more to encourage each other along the way and to commit to long term No S habits.

I'll start:

I'm committing myself to a year of Vanilla No S. Modifications just don't work for me. I also commit myself to putting health food on my plate.
The only S that is well and truly habit for me is no seconds. I commit myself to making no sweets and no snacks as much a habit.
Last edited by mrsj on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

flutterby7

Post by flutterby7 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm with you! but I'm not posting my weight! LOL

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:04 pm

flutterby7, great to have you aboard!

I posted my weight because seeing the numbers in print is very embarrassing for me. It helps me to realize how big I really am and to GET WITH THE PROGRAM!

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 am

I've been sick since 5 Jan. Still with the program. I'm still under the weather and am looking forward to being better so I can start moving more.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can use housework as an excersize program?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 am

I posed these about a year ago. They're from Clara's Kitchen -- of the Great Depression Cooking videos on YouTube.

I enjoyed these from the book:
If you don't think you have time to exercise, just clean your kitchen. I think it's kind of silly -- the people jogging. Scrubbing my floors and counters makes everything strong and my kitchen looks good.
When I read that I wondered if she scrubbed the floor on her hands and knees like my mom and aunt did -- then I found the next one:
I like the old ways, and I always did. Even back then I didn't like change too much. I like scrubbing the floor clean on my hands and knees with a hard-bristled brush. It doesn't get clean any other way.
Walk to the grocery store. Because if you don't have a large car trunk to store things, you'll be forced to buy only what you can comfortably carry, which is most likely all you need.
Clara has never learned to drive. Neither did my aunt.
Always use the stairs. People tell me that I shouldn't be going up and down my stairs at my age, but I need them -- they keep me limber. So what if we wear out our shoes if we keep ourselves fit?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks for the input, wosnes! I don't own a car, so I range home the groceries. I'm still feeling a little shaky after my bout with illness, so I'm thinking to use housework to build up my muscles again. Like Clara, I like movement with purpose. ANY excersize program just isn't me.

Now, for a little rambling...

I've noticed that I fall to temptation for sweets and snacking when I'm bored or just don't have anything to do. A concrete example: Yesterday I was very busy at home and then went to visit friends. I literally didn't have time to eat. I didn't even feel hungry. At about 1930 I fell asleep on the sofa, woke up at 2330. Brushed my teeth and staggered to bed.
This got me thinking. Is a lot of my hunger just plain boredom?

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:41 pm

mrsj wrote: Now, for a little rambling...

I've noticed that I fall to temptation for sweets and snacking when I'm bored or just don't have anything to do. A concrete example: Yesterday I was very busy at home and then went to visit friends. I literally didn't have time to eat. I didn't even feel hungry. At about 1930 I fell asleep on the sofa, woke up at 2330. Brushed my teeth and staggered to bed.
This got me thinking. Is a lot of my hunger just plain boredom?
That's true for a lot of people. ::Raising hand:: :)

I also (used to) eat to avoid doing chores/work. I have mostly stopped that... though I sometimes substitute other avoidance behaviors, like excessive posting here. ;)

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:23 am

I'm still with the program! More by necessity than desire. We're pretty financially strapped right now, so it's Depression Diet for me! We're getting by, have a freezer full of food, the bills are paid. There's just not enough cash in the household budget this month for nonsense. I'll have to wait until the 27th when DH gets paid until I can have a treat. Then I plan on having some really good quality ice cream. Just a single dish, and really enjoying each spoonfull!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Sometimes necessity can be a great boon to personal self discipline. You go, Mrsj.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:02 am

Well, since starting the poverty diet, I've found that I'm eating a lot more nutritiously. I'm making everything I eat count. Just don't have the money for garbage food. When I feel a little hungry I don't snack or say to myself that I can call it a mini meal. I just do something else. I guess that's what people did in the olden days when food wasn't that readily available or when folks were on a tight budget.

I think I'll continue the "poverty" way of eating even when my economy is better next month.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm in the same financial boat and I'm finding that not only am I eating well, I'm a) having fun cooking and b) really enjoying what I cook.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:38 pm

I notice that I'm much more creative in the kitchen. Trying to make something nutritious and filling out of next to nothing or what I already have on hand.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:02 pm

mrsj wrote:I notice that I'm much more creative in the kitchen. Trying to make something nutritious and filling out of next to nothing or what I already have on hand.
My theory is that if it's real food, it's nutritious. My problem is getting enough vegetables and fruits. But I'm not worrying about it.
Last edited by wosnes on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:51 am

I'm still on track, very motivated. I'm continuing the "poverty" diet even though DH and I have gotten paid.

I haven't been doing very well on the excersize front though. I've been really tired and lazy lately. Maybe it's early spring fever? Today I have to range to town. I'll take extra steps just to move.
Last edited by mrsj on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:34 am

Feb. has had some set-backs, but I'm still motivated. I just take it on the chin and move on. I'm dedicating Feb and Mar to really working on the No S HABITS. The no seconds part is second nature to me now, but I really need to work on the No Sweets. Once that S is mastered the No Snacks just follows.

Luckily for me, renew started a February Challenge. That really stops me in my tracks as I don't want to post a fail.

Today, 9 Feb is an S day for me. I just can't handle 2 S days in a row and I always cave on Wed. So, Saturday is N and We. is S! Instead of failing, I modify!

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:09 am

Most of my overweight friends are starting to shrink. I'm just standing still. All of them are just eating normal food, but smaller portions. Natural No S, they've just never heard about it. Not having treats every day like they used to. So, being inspired by those aroundme I've decided that it's time to really buckle down and QUIT SHILLY-SHALLYING!!!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:07 pm

mrsj wrote:Most of my overweight friends are starting to shrink. I'm just standing still. All of them are just eating normal food, but smaller portions. Natural No S, they've just never heard about it. Not having treats every day like they used to. So, being inspired by those aroundme I've decided that it's time to really buckle down and QUIT SHILLY-SHALLYING!!!
I do think portion control is important. Whether it's just smaller portions at meals or the absence of sweets/treats except for S days.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 am

Me, too. I finally found some mods for S days, which were my downfall. I haven't been following Vanilla No S for awhile, but I'm not far off. Even when i was, weekends were terrible and I just couldn't seem to accept having to make mods. The desire to (and practice of) gorging on sweets and snacks even when I wasn't hungry went on and on, month after month.

So this weekend, I took advantage of being a bit sick, and stuck to the new mods. They are generous, but I was eating more than these mods! I figure I can decrease them as time goes on. First, establish habit.
One-two fists-sized volume of sweets on any one day on weekend, but allowed both days. However, one day is okay if I feel like it. No need to eat sweets both days, though we are allowed.
Equivalent of one-two fists' volume of snacks only twice on weekend between any two meals. Instead of the steady stream of snacks all day both days.

Somehow, establishing the limits somehow also made it okay not to have to reach the limits. I ate less than was allowed this weekend and I felt so much better!

And the rules for N days are just as stated in the book. I am not too worried about those.

Good luck to us all.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 am

I'm in !

The only thing that works for me is to follow the plan strictly.

Good luck to all.
Berry

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:53 am

Well, guesw what. After all my blathering of no shilly-shallying, I'm up 2 kilos! I could just cry! So, buckle down. This month I've challenged myself to move a lot more.
Last edited by mrsj on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:52 am

mrsj wrote:Well, guesw what. After all my blathering of no shilly-shallying, I'm up 2 kilos!
I could just cry! So, buckle down. This month I've challenged myself to move a lot more.

01 Jan 2011: 93 kilos
01 Mar 2011: 95 kilos
mrsj
Occasional weight gains are common in life. Image
I've done more than my share of shilly-shallying.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:55 am

I've often been up 4 pounds after a weekend. They're usually gone by the end of the week. If you're going to weigh yourself, I suggest you do it every day for a week and average the results.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:48 am

I have GOT to pull myself together! Those xtra 2 kilos are killing me! After Urban Rangeing to town Saturday, my knees and feet are killing me! I'm too darned heavy for my tendons and my frame.