Feeling weak...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Älskling

Feeling weak...

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:48 pm

I'm noticing that if I don't eat a lot (and I mean a lot) at lunch that I'm really getting weak before dinner. I don't just mean a little bit tired but I feel faint and shaky. I know I should probably have a snack in that case, but has anyone else experienced this? This didn't happen to me the first week and most of the second week so I'm thinking that my portions have gone down or I'm not eating the right kind of food.

Today I broke down at around 3:30 to have a snack because I already felt a little wobbly so I had a small snack (only 150 calories). It did make me feel better, but I find it so strange that this is happening now.

Maria

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:58 pm

Perhaps you could keep lunch as the largest meal of the day - but I had the same problem initially. We often eat late and would sometimes go for a walk in the evening first, so I kept a bottle of apple juice in the fridge and would have a glass when I got home or before we went for the walk, just to give that bit of energy to get past the weak feeling. It worked, but I don't need it anymore.

Also check that you're getting enough iron, etc.

kellenheller

Post by kellenheller » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:06 pm

When I first when on my diet, I didn't know it was called NoS. I just thought I would eat 3 meals a day and no snacking. I first tried it with 3 meals a day, but like you, could not make it from lunch to dinner without feeling weak and getting a headache. I do a lot of technical work, and simply couldn't concentrate because my blood sugar was so low.

So I took my food and divided it up into 4 equal meals, with one of those being at 3:30. Worked great, although sometimes I would go to bed awfully hungry.

After about six weeks, I started shifting some of meal number 3 into a larger meal #4 to make it to bedtime easier. Worked great!

Now, at about 10 weeks, I'm finding that I often am not that hungry at meal #3 time. I'm experimenting with eating a slightly larger lunch and shifting the rest of the meal to dinner, so that I'm at 3 meals.

I think it just took a while for my body to adjust to longer periods without eating, and now that it has, it's telling me.

So my personal advice is to go ahead and do four meals for now, and adjust as you go along IF your body tells you. YMMV :)

AND note that meal #3 was not a snack. It was a well balanced, if small, meal of some protein, carb and fat. I would still think of just having a fruit or breakfast bar or something as a snack and not recommend that.

So far, since November, I'm down 27 lbs, so I guess it's working :)
ping

Kevin

low blood sugar?

Post by Kevin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:40 pm

Hey. Let me introduce myself. My name is Kevin. I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and a No-S practitioner.

I know all about blood glucose. :0)

What you are describing are the typical symptoms of low blood glucose, which you really shouldn't fuss with. If you believe you need a fourth meal (not a snack!) each day, then have one. Just make it consistently no more than you need. For quite some time, I needed one while I was adjusting my insulin dosages. I don't anymore.

But I also have to tell you that half the time I think my Bg is low, and I'm hungry, my Bg isn't low at all (I know this because I test it with a meter). Hunger is one of the cluster of symptoms that surround low Bg, so it's easy to make a learned, but invalid, association.

Eat four meals for a while if you think you need to. You can reduce to three later once you get used to it. Don't feel bad about it. Lots of small steps can amount to long journeys.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:43 pm

I experience this, too. My lunch has to be a pretty good size to get me through the 6 hours or so until dinner. If I don't eat enough for some reason I get very weak and a little dizzy. When this happens, I will have a small glass of orange juice to tide me over. Works every time!

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:38 am

I've been getting this too lately. By 5pm I often feel very unwell. A glass of milk can help.

I think it's because I fell off the no s wagon over the holidays and now it's as if I'm startig over again :oops:

When I first started last september I had the same issue so I started having a protein shake in the afternoon. The protein shake worked and I still lost weight but after a couple of weeks I found I didn't need or want it any more.

JWL

Post by JWL » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:34 am

Try making sure you are getting a good dose of protein with lunch. This is not a scientific study, just something I've observed. If I don't get good protein with lunch, I'll be hungry again in a couple of hours.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:41 am

When I last tried no s, I'd start feeling constantly weak and fuzzy after a few weeks of it. My theory is that I was eating particularly badly, and getting vital nutrients from all the snacking.

This time it hasn't happened, I think the vitamin pills and possibly slightly better eating may be helping.

farmermarn

pay attention to your cycle

Post by farmermarn » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:17 am

I don't know your age or menstral cycles, but I mention this because you mention this happening in week 3. If you are premenstral you may need more frequent/smaller meals. You might be able to go back to just 3 meals after your period.

I am usually STARVING the week before my period and will have that same kind of shakey, weak feeling if I don't eat.

Just a thought.

Marni

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:45 pm

I think I will have to give the fourth meal thing a try. It's just a little hard to plan for that. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I'm actually surprised that this didn't happen to me earlier and actually anticipated something like this happening.

Freakwitch- I agree with you 100% on the protein thing and always have some at meal time. I also read that it's really important to eat a little fat because that slows down stomach emptying so you don't get hungry too soon.

Marni-I also thought about it being related the monthly cycle thing but it's difficult to tell. I'm breastfeeding a toddler and haven't had a cycle in over two years. There could very well be some hormonal stuff going on- I just don't know about it!

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:59 pm

Just my two cents, but childbirth and the like are my profession of sorts so just wanted to pipe in and say that if you are breastfeeding, i would highly recommend a fourth meal...producing breastmilk takes a lot out of your own system to make sure the milk for baby is nutritious, so you need to make sure that you are getting enough food to replace what is lost. Your baby will get what he needs, but it can tax your body if you don't refuel properly and regularly...does this mean you get to stuff yourself silly? NO! :lol: But if you are getting hungry to the point of getting dizzy, etc. then you need more calories.

my suggestion is to make your fourth meal something really healthy (if your worried about calories or something) like a salad with some protien in it (chicken, boiled eggs, etc) or a piece of fruit with cheese.

Plus, just because you haven't had a period, doesn't mean you aren't having a cycle per say...as women, there is always something hormonal going on! Especially if you are breastfeeding.

Just my two cents as a Doula! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:43 pm

Tricia- I'm hoping that there is actually something going on because I'd like to get pregnant again. That clock is tick, tick, ticking...

But in any case, you're right. A fourth meal probably would be better. It also sort of dawned on me today that during my first two weeks on No-So, I was really into the fact that I was going to eat whatever I wanted (sans sweets) so I was cooking up a storm and making sure I ate my vegetables, etc. This week I'm not so focused on food and have been eating mostly leftovers and takeout! So either I'm not eating as much per meal as I did earlier or I'm not eating as nutritiously.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:53 pm

How old are you Maria? I hope you get your wish of another child...
Two years without a period though?
Well... Who knows...
I know my years are over for that... Not because of a lack of a period ( :twisted: I can't wait to be done with periods already!!!) but just because I am not interested in having another child anymore..
I did think about it for a number of years when I was still dating this guy..
But it just wasn't meant to be... But boy do I have a great kid and I am so blessed...
During High school and college, for nine years I was infertile because I had endometriotic plaques and adhesions all over my pelvic wall and tubes... But, believe it or not, I think that was a good thing... I happened to be with a really blech boyfriend who, I am totally glad I didn't have kids with...
Then I had laser surgery many years later, during the time I was with my son's father, and right after that I got pregnant!
And now I have the best son and I'm happy with him... I will enjoy when he has kids himself... Right now I'm focusing on getting my own life together... (plus I'm not married or even dating, so it's just not in the cards! LOL..)

Enjoy and love the one you have now!!!
I loved breastfeeding!!! Yeah.. That cranks up your metabolism big time...
Make sure you take in enough foods which have lots of calcium and drink loads of water...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:13 pm

if you don't mind my asking, have you ever had fertility problems? Have you been trying to get pregnant? if not then i wouldn't worry too much at this point. the myth is that you can't get pregnant while breastfeeding, but that is not really true...some women do have a harder time getting pregnant though, but others don't...just depends on everyone's own unique body. also, how often do you breastfeed? (not sure how old your little one is, two?) If it is all the time, then your body is probably just still in breastfeeding mode, if it is only once a day or so, then different things may be going on. Have you had regular checkups with your doctor and told them about your cycle? That would probably be the best thing to do...

overall, i wouldn't worry too much if you aren't having any other problems, but a checkup is always a good idea. some women don't have a period the whole time they breastfeed, and other women start having them as soon as their six week postpartum is over. anyway, not trying to but in, but i am obsessive about all things childbirth related! :twisted: I so love my job! :lol:
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:34 pm

Hey Deb and Tricia,
I had my regular ob/gyn check up in November and my doctor didn't bat an eye when I told him that I haven't had a period. I'm not concerned that there's something wrong, I'm concerned that since I still breastfeed so much that I'm not ovulating. We haven't tried in earnest to get pregnant because it just seems unlikely to happen. My son who is almost 18 months old (I said no period for 2 years b/c I was counting the pregnancy) still nurses several times a day and a few times in the middle of the night. He eats but not a lot. I'm trying to distract him during the day when he wants to nurse too often but it's really hard because he cries so weaning is not really an option.
I haven't (knock on wood) had any fertility problems. It took me a few months to get pregnant but then I miscarried and got pregnant again two months later however I am 37 so I know things can change.

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:57 pm

sounds like you are doing ok then. as for the little guy, i wouldn't worry about weaning him unless you feel like you need to...it's actually refreshing to hear of someone still breastfeeding after that long..some women only nurse for 6 weeks or so and then can't wait to stop...kinda sad...i was unable to nurse my boys, but both my girls were breastfeed until they were about two (at that point only about twice a day, morning and bedtime) They eventually just weaned themselves.

as for getting pregnant, it seems as though you are in good health so you may be right about not ovulating, or at least not very often...i'm just guessing here, but probably once you wean or cut down on the number of feedings, things will probably fall into place...anyway, not trying to pry!

hope all goes well for you!
***GRINS***
Tricia

SunnyCalifornia

Post by SunnyCalifornia » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:08 pm

Just out of interest, I have some recommendations for breastfeeding mothers and fertility. I am breastfeeding a beautiful boy (6 months old) and I have been eating a nutrient-dense diet pre-conception until now. This involves cod liver oil, pastured dairy and meat products and raw milk.
This diet is balanced and includes plenty of healthy fats. Just what you need to keep you going between meals. Their idea of healthy fats is saturated fat from pastured animals. I was conviced by all their arguments. I was amazed to discover that the cholesterol hypothesis is a hypothesis. Furthermore, many are not convinced by the science behind it.
Here is where you will find their dietry recommendations for breastfeeding:
http://www.westonaprice.org/children/di ... thers.html
It's facinating stuff and I hope it helps your noSing. As you can see, it includes plenty of fats and vitamin A and D foods. Great for fertility too.
They even have a page devoted to their healthy babies.
I love it. It has been such a positive health step for my family. And it makes noSing a breeze, if the three meals you do have fully nourishes you.
LOL
Sunny

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:23 am

I follow the 3 meal rule as I find that the most practical to fit in to my life and I have definitely found that I have had to increase my lunch otherwise I have the late afternoon shakes.

I now have a sandwich with a protein filling with a whole tomato, 1/4 a cucumber, a carrot or two, a piece of fruit and sometimes a breakfast bar. This definitely tides me over till dinner with no problems - and I suffer with insulin resistance. This is one of the reasons I love NoS - I don't suffer with the constant sugar surges because I am eating well.

Enjoy breastfeeding you precious son and when the time is right I am sure you will enjoy another pregnancy.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:34 pm

Sunny- Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with the Weston A. Price people and I have the book "Nourishing Traditions". Unfortunately, I find it very difficult to follow because the only way I could get pastured meat products would be mail order and you can't get raw milk in NJ (not legally anyway) but I do try to apply some of the principles to the way I eat.

Merry-
Thank you for your kind words. I hope you're right!

Maria

SunnyCalifornia

Post by SunnyCalifornia » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 pm

"Nourishing Traditions" is a great cookbook isn't it? I find the recipes too demanding now that I have a baby. I find the most I can manage is roasts in the oven.

It is a shame that we all don't have access to pastured animals and raw milk. It is how nature intended it.

Breastfeeding is wonderful - isn't it? The 10 pounds I gained during pregnancy is not going anywhere though. I figure my body needs to hold onto it for a while. NoSing has really helped me to slow down my weight loss expectations. I don't weigh myself too often. I feel I have a little more faith in this for the long haul.

It's so tempting to want the pre-prgnancy body back. But I do want it back in a way that will last and is effortless.

Good luck with this precious time Maria. I hope you find something that works. I think all of us realize that noSing is a way that works.

-Sunny

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:38 am

Sunny-
To be honest I don't think I've tried any of the recipes! Are there any you'd recommend?

As for weight loss, when my son was about 5 months old I lost about 15 pounds by counting calories (I ate around 1800 calories a day.) That brought me to about 8 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight (which was still higher than my ideal but a normal BMI.) I gained back 6 pounds over a year and then I started No-S. My point is, that the breastfeeding really does help keep the weight off because I've been eating like crazy for the last year. I think that if you continue nursing and doing No-S that the weight will come off.

My fear is that it'll be a little like quiting smoking when my son stops- my metabolism will slow down and the pounds will creep back on.

Maria