FTW: I made chocolate chip cookies!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

exdieter

FTW: I made chocolate chip cookies!

Post by exdieter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:36 am

It's an S day, here, and I decided I was in the mood for cookies, so looked up a small batch recipe and cooked them up for me and my husband.

I made seven cookies, ate 3 (one raw, two cooked). I'm totally full and totally satisfied. Actually, next time, I might just eat two raw cookies and leave it at that. Up until the past two weeks, I would've eaten a bowl of batter.

We've been together 10 years, and I have never once cooked chocolate chip cookies. He said to me, "I didn't even think you could make these." And I responded, "Actually, I just never trusted myself not to eat the whole batch."

Holy crap, ya'll. Do you realize what kind of life-changer No-S has been for me?? Can you imagine? It has been TEN YEARS since I allowed myself to cook one of my favorite foods!! (On a related note, up until no-s, it never occurred to me to look up a recipe for a small batch.)

This is the kind of win I just never expected when starting the plan. I can make what I like to eat without having the slightest urge to binge. After a lifetime of dieting, to have finally stopped gaining weight and instead gained this kind of freedom.... Totally awesome!! Thank you, Reinhard!!!!
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:08 am

Congrats! I love baking, so I like that No-S allows me to do it. I live alone so I usually bake, keep a few for myself over the weekend, and then give the rest away. It's fun for me and a bonus for my friends ;)
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Have you seen these: Small Batch Baking and soon-to-be-released Small Batch Baking for Chocolate Lovers

I've figured out how to cut down a couple of my favorites, but we're not big dessert eaters, except for cookies. I freeze extras in single serving portions.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

I think that's where my recipe originally came from! I might have to buy it. They turned out great. But maybe not until next weekend.... :)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:35 pm

A friend of mine has that book, wosnes, and I love it! (Need to get a copy of my own). It's brilliant.

Many recipes that have been passed down through the ages (especially for sweets) assume a large family. I mean, a pie is eight servings. That's dandy, but if I made dessert, it's probably going to be for three to four people, tops.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 pm

I have the book, too, though it's packed away right now. Sweet treats or savory meals, I cut nearly everything down to make less.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

harpista

Post by harpista » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:38 am

I've had Small Batch Baking for over a year, with this very idea in mind.

I guess it's time I tried something from it. :D
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:00 pm

I love that No-S allows me to bake. At this point, my most successful S-days are on days when I bake something "really good" for a treat.

I'll have to look at the small-batch baking book - I'm sure there are items in it I'd use.

But for chocolate chip cookies, I use a trick I learned from my sister. Mix them up normally, bake what you want. The rest, drop on a cookie sheet like you were going to bake them, but closer together. Stick the sheet in the freezer long enough for them to harden (10-20 minutes), then peel off and put in a plastic food container and put back in the freezer. When you want hot cookies, put as many as you want on the baking sheet and add a minute to the normal baking time.

It so impresses guests when I have hot, homemade cookies in about 10 minutes. And I can cook 2 per person for the family for a dessert.

(Of course, this works only if you've pretty much broken the snacking habit. A friend I told this to said that she discovered frozed cookie dough was GREAT, so had to stop making them!)

Summerwine

Post by Summerwine » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:30 pm

It's only just hit me that it would be completely OK for me to take up baking. I've never baked, because it felt like something that would lead me to immediate, irrevocable weight gain.

(Did not baking make me not obese? Ha! Too right it didn't!)

A friend shared with me a recipe for chocolate brownies, which she describes as "chocolate-covered crack". I can't wait to make them this weekend, when my boyfriend comes to visit.
Start date: 10 Jan 2011
4'11'', 31 y.o
SW: 178.8 lbs / CW: 177.4 lbs
Goal 1: 145 lbs (no longer obese)
Goal 2: 120 lbs (no longer overweight)
Final Goal: 110 lbs

"If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" John Crowley.

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 pm

@Summerwine, that's EXACTLY how I feel! So exciting!

I think I need to buy that small- batch book. :)