Just an Observation.....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoSRocks

Just an Observation.....

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:58 am

At work today I met up with a lady whom I hadn't seen in a couple of months. She was looking absolutely fantastic, her hair looked very strong and shiny and her skin was absolutely glowing. I also noticed that she appeared to look much slimmer than the last time I saw her. She was telling me that upon the advice and guidance of her Dr. that she had given up sweet foods entirely and now only ate 3 regular meals a day. I praised her on her will power since I didn't think i could abstain entirely from sweets and desserts for the rest of my life. I then went on to tell her about the No S Diet and the similarity between plans except that on S Days one was allowed sweet foods etc. She in turn remarked that she didn't think she would have the willpower to eat a limited amount of sweets ! Whilst it would be tempting to try to resist the sweet foods in order to speed things up, I don't think I will go down that route, at least not in the forseeable future but she certainly was an inspiration.

sarahkay

Post by sarahkay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Wow! That is really something! I agree with you, I couldn't abstain from sweets completely, but that's really cool to see the No S concepts working for yet another person!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:46 pm

That goes under the "people are different" category for me.

For some folks, total abstention is easier than "some." There are cases where I have a hard time understanding that, but I have come to believe it is true for them.

Here's a post on a blog I read that got me thinking about it:
http://www.happiness-project.com/happin ... ainer.html

People REALLY ARE different, in so many ways. I have come to deeply value places - like this board - where such differences are acknowledged and respected.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:49 pm

KCCC wrote:People REALLY ARE different, in so many ways.
I have come to deeply value places - like this board -
where such differences are acknowledged and respected.
Image KCCC, I strongly agree with your above-quoted statement.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Definitely an abstainer here! I remember the summer when I didn't have even one bite of dessert - and we were on vacation then, mind you (plenty of temptations around!). At first it did take some willpower, but after three or four days of "detox" skipping sugary stuff was easy-peasy.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:53 pm

I did the abstainer thing for most of my life. Or rather a pattern of abstinence, then going overboard. Since I did not make life-long abstinence a success, I figured I'd try the moderation route.

It has been successful for alcohol for (I think) three years. This year, I think my most urgent problem is my eating habits and I am going to focus on the same for that.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks for all of your input, guys! This No S site is really great and has been keeping me 'sane' as I try to get through this very stressful period in my life as far as my eating patterns are concerned. (I will refrain from using the dreaded 'd" word :roll: :lol: ) ....and I am once again grateful for the feedback.

I strongly agree with all of the comments you make here. What works for some doesn't necessarily suit another. I don't think I've ever been able to abstain from sweets etc. for any length of time and if I do try to go down that route, I usually find it has the opposite effect... I end up throwing in the towel after a day or two (if I even get that far) then bingeing and gaining ! :twisted:

It's oft been said but sometimes it takes certain situations and incidents to remind us that People are indeed very different!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Interesting topic. I suspect I'm an abstainer but I'm not entirely sure - had to go cold turkey when I gave up cigarettes a million years ago. I became pretty much instantly and heavily addicted to them when I tried them as a teenager and there was no way that I could just smoke moderately - ever. It's different with food because you have to eat to live. I've been considering abstaining from sugar, mainly because it is so difficult to get back on track on a Monday after a very indulgent sugary weekend. But, from past experience, I'm not sure that I would manage to abstain from sugar entirely and forever without it bringing the whole of my NoS habits crashing down...There was a comment under the article that KCCC linked to that was interesting. It basically said that it depends on the level of desire or addiction. If it is a very strong and controlling desire (like the one to smoke), then abstaining is better) but if it is a weaker desire that doesn't entirely control you, then moderation is achievable...that rings true for me.

BTW - I'm another person for whom simple carbs triggers cravings and binges. I definitely do better when I stay away from white processed or carby foods, whether on an S day or an N day.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:22 am

Hi funfuture! I hope you don't mind me sticking my 2 cents in.... :wink:
I was thinking about what yourself and others have written about abstaining entirely from sweet foods whilst on No S and I admire anyone who has the willpower to do so and finds success with it. From my own perspective, I have mixed feelings about abstaining entirely from sweet foods because I found the reason I kept going with No S the first time around with decent results was the fact that if I got a craving for desserts etc, I knew I had my S Days to look forward to and somehow persuade myself to wait it out for just a few days longer and then I could eat whatever i wanted. The flip side of this (and there's always ONE :lol: ) was I was going pretty much overboard on the S Days to make up for lost time and in anticipation of my next round of N Days. I actually got to the stage that I began to look forward to N Days because they were organized and by this time, had become second nature to me. I guess my problem was and is finding some middle ground. But the beauty of No S (had I the patience to keep going the first time I tried when N Days were starting to become easier/second nature for me) is that I could have taken my time and gradually made some small changes here and there on my S Days which may have added up over time. EVEN THOUGH ONE CANNOT FAIL ON AN S DAY !!! :) :) :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:40 am

Hi NSR - always happy to hear another 2c worth!

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:18 am

I dunno if I am more a moderation-er or abstainer, but I do know that there are times when my only motivation to not grab a cookie or bite of cake (and they're always hanging around my office), is that I know I can plan out and have exactly the sweet I want over the weekend.
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6