About Miss Hartshorne

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Blithe Morning

About Miss Hartshorne

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:00 am

I consulted with Miss Hartshorne about getting her own account here, and - much to my surprise - she demurred.

She said that she didn't really enjoy fiddling around on the Internets; it was a waste of time (pointed look at me). Besides, she was much too busy.

She's behind a sock since the business with the TSA and her knitting needles two weeks ago. She left the needles at home on the trip to see an elderly aunt, afraid they'd be confiscated. Fortunately, she brought her crochet so at least she is well ahead on her beanies for preemies. And then there's the Valentine's fundraiser for the Humane Society (she's on the board), not to mention the aqua-cise classes at the Y she just started. The aqua-cise classes surprised me because they were my idea as the footing has been far too icy to walk outside and she doesn't enjoy indoor walking. "You don't go anywhere," she once explained to me.

"But Miss Hartshorne," I said trying to convince her. "You are so good at things like habit and posture and being sensible."

"Not really," said she. "It's just that everyone else is so bad at it."

Maybe it's just as well that Miss Hartshorne doesn't get her own account...

So, we left it at that she would allow me to post the things she says or does or examples from her life as appropriate, as I long I don't publish her location, phone number or first name.
Last edited by Blithe Morning on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wosnes

Re: About Miss Hartshorne

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:34 am

Blithe Morning wrote: "But Miss Hartshorne," I said trying to convince her. "You are so good at things like habit and posture and being sensible."

"Not really," said she. "It's just that everyone else is so bad it."
I love it!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:09 am

Please give Miss Hartshorne our regards, and say that we totally understand, despite our disappointment.

(Though I won't promise not to nag for details of her life/opinions.)

I think she and Clara would have respected one another, though (perhaps incorrectly) I picture Miss H as being very, very British.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:08 am

KCCC wrote:I think she and Clara would have respected one another, though (perhaps incorrectly) I picture Miss H as being very, very British.
Miss Hartshorne's mother was British. Her father was from northern Vermont. So you can see how Miss Hartshorne comes by her opinions.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:01 am

If Miss Hartshorne was in a film, would she be played by Katherine Hepburne?

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:37 pm

With those cheekbones? No, Angela Landsbury is more in Miss Hartshorne's style.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:17 am

:D :D :D

harpista

Post by harpista » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Whence did this delightful lady originate (on the boards)? :lol:
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 am

harpista wrote:Whence did this delightful lady originate (on the boards)? :lol:
Harpista, she appeared on the Pizza Guilt thread. I don't know why she made her debut there, probably because the more I considered how to answer the post, the more I realized that when you disengage from the guilt and consider it objectively feeling guilty about eating pizza is really rather absurd.

Miss Hartshorne is blessedly free of emotional baggage (unlike me; I know what self recrimination pizza can induce). I suspect she misplaced hers about, oh 40 years ago and since she hasn't gotten around to looking for it yet, things like guilt over eating perfectly good food literally do not enter her mind.

Now wasting food, THAT can send Miss Hartshorne into a paroxysm. She is very careful to take only what she will eat and package up all the rest. Not surprisingly, she usually serves herself about a plateful. Until No S, I was concerned for her - what if she didn't eat enough and got hungry?

"It's not like I'm adrift in the middle of the Pacific now is it,"she said. "I'll eat soon enough. Hunger is nothing to worry about, not when you've got a full pantry."

amake616

Post by amake616 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:56 am

Blithe Morning wrote: "It's not like I'm adrift in the middle of the Pacific now is it,"she said. "I'll eat soon enough. Hunger is nothing to worry about, not when you've got a full pantry."
I'm sure even if Miss Hartshorne did happen to be adrift in the Pacific she would refrain from pointless dramatics such as naming inanimate objects Wilson and self-indulgent acts such as "melting down" or "hysterics" anyway. She would probably figure out a way to fashion a lady like hat to protect herself from the sun and calmly assess the situation.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:03 am

I just have to ask, has this years winter been as brutal in South Dakota as it has been in Eastern Idaho?
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Over43 wrote:I just have to ask, has this years winter been as brutal in South Dakota as it has been in Eastern Idaho?
Not brutal but not warm, either. It's been cold. For most of January, we were well under normal temps. Precipitation has been average. Psychologically it feels higher because we are still coming out of ten years of drought.

The thing which I find the hardest to bear are cloudy days. Last February we went six weeks without a sunny day. Today is shaping up to be sunny with normal temps (in the 20's) so it's going to be a good day.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:19 pm

amake616 wrote:I'm sure even if Miss Hartshorne did happen to be adrift in the Pacific she would refrain from pointless dramatics such as naming inanimate objects Wilson and self-indulgent acts such as "melting down" or "hysterics" anyway. She would probably figure out a way to fashion a lady like hat to protect herself from the sun and calmly assess the situation.
Right. With good posture and sunscreen since she always seems to have have whatever is needed on hand.

To be fair to her, Miss Hartshorne is a great believer in the potential of humans to rise and meet the challenges they are presented so if a melt down or two is what is needed to clear the mind, then so be it. Just don't get carried away with it because at some point one must Buckle Down and Get To Work. This is why she does not believe in molly-coddling; all of us are stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 am

First: Miss Hartshorn is awesome. I love her.

I don't have an internal Miss Hartshorn. I have an inner Madame Bonnevie. She's a very elegant French lady who loves her food, but understands that seulment un goût is appropriate to savor all the lovely, delicious things in life. She wears silk scarves, has love affairs and always serves dinner on a candlelit table. Mon dieu! She thinks gluttony interferes with pleasure.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 pm

NoelFigart wrote: I have an inner Madame Bonnevie. She's a very elegant French lady who loves her food, but understands that seulment un goût is appropriate to savor all the lovely, delicious things in life. She wears silk scarves, has love affairs and always serves dinner on a candlelit table. Mon dieu! She thinks gluttony interferes with pleasure.
I'd love for Miss Hartshorne and Madame Bonnevie to have a meal together. Can you imagine the conversation?

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:55 am

Please do imagine it. That would be fun.
Perhaps other characters will soon join as well. :-)