Guilt-Free

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Guilt-Free

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:45 pm

I was looking at a magazine online and found an article about "Guilt-Free Treats." I think "guilt-free" treats are part of the ongoing problem -- they're "guilt-free" so people eat even more of them -- like the 100 calorie packs.

I don't think any food, including treats, should be associated with guilt, but treats should be something that you know you don't eat daily. It's a treat.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm

The whole food=guilt connection comes from a misunderstanding of what is gluttony. Ironically, in proclaiming a food "guilt free", that can encourage gluttony in that one does not feel any need to be self controlled in eating.

This kind of verbage leads to the worst kind of diet head thinking.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Oh very yes.

Let the treat be a TREAT, for pity's sake. ENJOY it because it's RARE!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.