I keep waiting for this diet to get hard....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jammin' Jan

I keep waiting for this diet to get hard....

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu May 12, 2005 11:37 pm

but it doesn't seem to. Eight days now, and no-s days have been really easy. Surprising, because I have had several days in which dinner has been later than usual and I figured I'd be starving, but it's been okay.

My next goal is to buy a genuine sledge hammer. Oh boy, the family is gonna howl when I pull it out and start shovelling!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri May 13, 2005 1:19 am

Yay Jan!!! You go girl :)
Peace,
Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 13, 2005 12:05 pm

That's great news, Jan. It doesn't necessarily get hard. It was easy for me right from the start. But most people find they have some toughing out to do, so it's safer to expect trouble. And it's a rather nice surprise when it doesn't come, isn't it?

Still, my rule of thumb is it takes three weeks to habituate, so don't relax your guard just yet.

jools

Post by jools » Fri May 13, 2005 2:24 pm

HI Jan,

Glad its easy for you, thats wonderful ! For some people it just clicks, but like Reinhard said- 3 weeks til a habit is formed- and i agree- dont let your guard down.
It is a lifestyle change- but one that isnt obvious to people unlike some of the crazy diets we have all been on at one time or another :lol:
Its nice in that you dont have to tell someone you are dieting- which always lead to questions and advice etc... you know what i mean :wink:

Cant say that for the sledgehammer- though thats pretty darn obvious !

so sledge away

Jools

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 13, 2005 8:49 pm

So far, I haven't mentioned this to anyone at all, not even husband or the daughter still at home. No one notices anything because there isn't anything at all to notice....just me eating normal meals with the family!

Haven't bought the sledgehammer yet. At the end of the month, I'm going to be here by myself for a week :( , but I might use that time as an opportunity to get myself really established in shovelglove movements while I don't have to explain it to anyone.

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Fri May 13, 2005 10:02 pm

Jan I know what you mean about not saying anything. I am the same way. I think we are afraid of them noticing if we fail (again). I know that is my problem. Re: the sledgehammer. My husband had one in the barn and I brought it in the house and hid it in the laundry room (where I knew he would never go). Then I got worried that if he did see me hiding it he would think I was planning to do him in so I put it back int he barn and decided not to do shovelglove. I garden alot. One day we won't care what anyone thinks, even if we fail.

Good luck.

Marsha Lee

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat May 14, 2005 10:34 am

Dear Marsha,

Your reply was hilarious!!! :lol:

Go get that sledgehammer out of the barn, bring it into the house and use it!

This is silly, hiding like this. I think I will blow up the No-S "business card" to full-paper size, and post it on the fridge for all to see.

When I take my daughter to work today, I think I will stop off and look at Menard's or Walmart to see if they sell lighter-weight hammers and how much they cost.

Have a good couple of S-days!

Jan

gratefuldeb67

NoS announcements

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat May 14, 2005 12:28 pm

Hi Jan :)
You know, if your family is the supportive kind, they can really help you with your goal! And, because NoS isn't a wacky diet, but rather a normal and healthy way to approach eating, why wouldn't they even benefit from your example?
My son is very supportive to me and he does a 75% version, as he is nine and when he gets home I usually allow him one snack, not total junk food of course, like a glass of juice, or some granola bar (yes I know this is an S!) The thing is he runs around like a total puppy and is, in fact really hungry at those times, but I'm not about to make dinner at 4 pm...
The big offenders have been really curbed, ie: soda, ice cream, candy, cookies...
If the family, or your husband isn't supportive, or then becomes your "backseat dieters" that could be annoying, so make sure, when you make your announcement, that you want support, versus, nagging and policing... However, if they can help you remember to stay on plan, and you're not the type who would resent an occasional reminder, as my son does with me sometimes, that might help you too!
An outside conscience so to speak...
When I am close to a big cheat, :shock:
Richard will usually chime in,
"MOM... Think of NoS...." And that, usually, is the smelling salts I need to wake up from my non approved s craving! My home support system :) We nag each other, but it's just tough love and we are both healthier for it. I hope that by the time Richard has kids, NoS will be so ingrained, that he won't even have to think about it and he will just be passing down a healthy way of eating!
Hey by that time I wonder what kind of NoS community we will have?
I am guessing that all the 90's fad diets will be all disproved, or the exact opposite, there might be even more ludicrous ones out there! Who knows?
If you clearly define to your limits with the family, ie: tell them you need their support, and you will be making your home NOS safe, by purging the junk food from the fridge, I can't imagine how that wouldn't be helpful.
If they complain, just put your foot down. You, and your health are the main priority here.
Our Jools does NoS with her 13 year old daughter, incase you didn't already know this... Both of them are doing great :)
Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat May 14, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi Deb,

My family is very supportive, no problems there. I joined this program after five years on the McDougall Program (fat free vegan) and they were always okay with that. I only have about 5 "vanity" pounds to lose, so this isn't a big deal weight-wise. Husband has no sweet tooth whatsoever, and only eats one snack per day. Daughter is 15, and the most sensible kid you ever met. Only very rarely will she eat sugary foods, and like Dad, only has one snack a day. Both like to take second helpings at dinner, but they're doing okay with that.

This is a good program for me because I tend to munch a lot...seconds at dinner, snacks between meals. That's not good. I am happy with this, but I think I will apply it to myself and not to the family. They can make their own decisions.

I am glad to hear that your son is so supportive; I know that is very helpful to you.

I didn't have any luck enlarging the business card; it just pixelated all over. So, will print out "as is" and make it into a fridge magnet.

Happy S-day!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat May 14, 2005 1:31 pm

Ha!Ha! I did it! :D

I saved the business card as a jpeg into My Documents, then used photo editing software to enlarge without pixelating. As long as I was at it, I framed it into a picture of a piggie-chef, and framed that into a coordinating blue mat frame. Techno-mom strikes again!

gratefuldeb67

Techno Vegan Nosser!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat May 14, 2005 2:04 pm

You rule Techno Jan! And so does your fam. :D
How I wish I could say I want to lose 5 vanity pounds...
How about muliplying that by about 7! :evil: :P :shock: :wink:
You may just be the first official NoS fat free vegan here!
Veggies rule!!!
Hey Reinhard, are you "shuddering!" :wink: LOL...

Have a great weekend!
Love,
8) Deb

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Mon May 16, 2005 9:45 pm

FAT FREE VEGAN?!?!?!? FOR 5 YEARS???? Holy frijoles. I am in awe. Just speaking from the perspective of how difficult such a diet would be for me, I can't imagine that you would not have enough will power for NoS. You should have more than enough by a long shot. Are you doing NoS instead of your previous plan, or in addition? :shock:

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 16, 2005 9:56 pm

Hi Ariel,

This is instead of rather than in addition to. I like the freedom here. Nothing forbidden, just a time and a place for all good foods. This is easy, this is fun! I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am. :D

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 16, 2005 10:06 pm

PS, after I got up to do some stuff to get dinner on the table...

I think what Reinhard had to say in his No-S Diet homepage is the most reasonable and intelligent thing I have ever heard about eatilng. Fat-free vegan definitely fits his description of "focussed gluttony." I could eat all day from permitted foods, and so often it seemed like that's what I was doing. It was very healthy, and I lost my weight, but I was always thinking about food! Also, it was difficult to eat with others, and restaurants were really tough. Food shouldn't be this complicated! This is much better. Happy now.

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Mon May 16, 2005 10:06 pm

Hi Jan. Glad you're enjoying NoS as a replacement for the vegan diet. It certainly has the advantage of flexibility over just about any other diet plan in existence. I agree with all the good things that you and others have said about NoS, but I'm not actually doing it (yet). Right now I'm just doing SG.