Avoiding a binge

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ryan1972

Avoiding a binge

Post by ryan1972 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Sigh. I just "caved" and ate a snack on an N day. Not a big deal in the grand scheme, just some chips and salsa. My concern is .... how do you prevent a snack from becoming a full blown binge? I know in my head that I "should" just move on, have a plate of dinner in a couple of hours and go about my business ... BUT....there's a part of me that's thinking, "Screw it. The day is red now, I might as well do it up and eat everything in sight".

Any tips for dealing with the unexpected N day turned red?

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 pm

What's your goal?

CHOOSING to walk away and just eat dinner would mean you're reinforcing several things. You'd be reinforcing the meal habit. You'll be reinforcing that ONE failure can't have much power over you. You're stronger than one piddly failure.

And, for anyone who is a yo-yo dieter (I have that problem), you'll be setting a GREAT example about why moving on IMMEDIATELY from failure is the thing to do.

*WIDE EYES* Wanna be my HERO?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

ryan1972

Post by ryan1972 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. I know that you're right. I've been mired in diet mentality for years, always using the slightest mistake as license to eat more and more. I do know that one snack doesn't matter much; it's how I react now that truly matters.

Thanks again.

Ryan

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Well, there's red and then there's red. Right now, your day is really just a pale pink, the merest blush of red. Binge and it turns into a full on, glaring, zit-on-the-end-of-your-nose crimson.

As Miss Hartshorne would say "If you're in for a penny, there is really no good reason to go in for the pound if you think about it. Woolly headed thinking all the way around."
Last edited by Blithe Morning on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:09 pm

Think of it this way. If you are driving home from work and you accidentally run a red light, would you then think "oh well, I screwed up once today, might as well run them all!" And floor it through all the rest of the lights on your drive home?

Probably not :) Because that wouldn't make any sense.

Try to think of your diet in terms of events instead of days. So you ran a red light this afternoon and had some chips and salsa. The feeling sucks. But you didn't hit anyone and no one hit you. It was one mistake in a lifetime of eating. So take a deep breath, collect yourself, and move on.

For what its worth, with NoS was the first time I was able to internalize this and actually recover from mistakes immediately instead of waiting until the next day or week or quitting entirely. And it was a big turning point for me. It may take awhile, but I'm sure you'll have your breakthrough - maybe you can even have it today! Good luck!
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

Kevin

Re: Avoiding a binge

Post by Kevin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:14 am

I've had the same feeling. I think it is important not to beat yourself up. Finish the snack and have a good laugh at your weak-@ss self, get up and do something that will keep you busy for a while, get you out of your head.

ryan1972 wrote:Sigh. I just "caved" and ate a snack on an N day. Not a big deal in the grand scheme, just some chips and salsa. My concern is .... how do you prevent a snack from becoming a full blown binge? I know in my head that I "should" just move on, have a plate of dinner in a couple of hours and go about my business ... BUT....there's a part of me that's thinking, "Screw it. The day is red now, I might as well do it up and eat everything in sight".

Any tips for dealing with the unexpected N day turned red?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."