Does anyone here do No-S without S Days?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gettheweightoff

Does anyone here do No-S without S Days?

Post by gettheweightoff » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:46 pm

I tried a floating S day and it was a full out disaster. I planned my treat but it turned into an all out crazy day. I really, truly cannot do S days and I don't even want to attempt another one.

So I'm wondering if anyone here just does no-s everyday without S days.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:05 pm

It's generally not advised.

Yes, your S-days may be over the top at first. Go through the 21 days with them like that. Consider them a learning experience - you don't like them, they're awful, etc. Okay. That's how they are. They're probably also really close to how you used to eat. The contrast is instructive.

Over time, they will probably settle down on their own, as you see that you don't like them the way they are. Not as a result of restriction, but as you get more in touch with "what do I really want? what will satisfy me?" etc., and realize that excessive eating doesn't feel good.

If they don't OVER MONTHS, then you take action. But for a while. live with them.

There are a some podcasts/threads on the topic (search on "S-days gone wild") that may help. And if you haven't read the "phases of No-S" above, this is a good time.

But trying to cut them out altogether is usually a recipe for disaster. It becomes an ordinary diet, and eventually, you fall off the plan and give up.

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Sometimes the only thing that gets me through the week Green is the promise that I can have whatever forbidden thing I'm craving on Saturday.

Because nothing is completely forbidden - it's just only allowed on certain days. And that gives me something to look forward to. And makes the whole plan seem doable.

And if I'm being really good 5 days a week, it's not going to kill me to eat a little too much chocolate 2 days a week. In the beginning, that would have been WAY too much chocolate 2 days a week. But eventually my body figured out that I didn't actually like to overindulge - even in my favorites - on S days.

But it takes time for the 5 sensible eating days to start to influence the 2 free days. 21 days is a good bench mark for building habits, but I don't think it's always enough time to get the S days completely under control. But that is okay. What is a few weeks or months of nutty S days if it lets you develop a lifestyle of sane eating?

So if you are *really* concerned about S days, and can absolutely not bring yourself to have 2 S days a week, then *maybe* consider only doing 1 S day a week. But I really wouldn't recommend eliminating S days entirely, because I just don't think it is sustainable.***

What is your biggest vice food? Look at yourself in the mirror and say: "Can I go the entire rest of my life without ever indulging in Vice?"

If the honest answer is: "Yes, I can definitely live my life without ever eating Vice again," then you could eliminate S days.

But if the answer is: "Definitely not!" or "Ummm, I'm not so sure..." or even "Well, not the rest of my life, but I could make it until my Goal Weight, and then I could eat it...." then I think you owe it to yourself to find a way to Moderate your intake of Vice instead of Eliminating it.

For me, NoS has been a blessing in that sense. It's the first "diet" I've ever been on that I didn't find myself constantly thinking about how great it will be when I "finish this diet and can eat whatever I want again!" Because it really is a reasonable enough approach that I *can* do it forever.

That's not to say that NoS is the answer for everyone, but I think that it is a good answer for people who choose to Moderate rather than Abstain. If you want to choose to abstain, that's fine too (and I know that it can work) - but I think it's important to know yourself and know whether or not abstaining is a viable option for you personally (I know that it is NOT a viable option for me). Because we are all different - which is why there isn't a magic weight loss bullet yet....

***The exception to this, of course, is if you think you would do better as an abstainer. Which is totally a know yourself kind of thing. But if you were initially drawn to NoS for a reason, make sure not to forget what that reason is. :-)
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:00 pm

I think it depends on your goal. For me personally I want to stay under 130 so can't do 2 s days. I usually give myself one free day, which I enjoy some treats, but in moderation. That is me though.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi. I stick to 3 meals/no snacks between meals seven days a week. I incorporate snack foods or sweets as part of the meal on S Days. I abstain from eating in between meals. Hope this helps : )

Edited to clarify: I do not abstain from any food. I only abstain from eating between breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's a habit.
I still eat snack foods and dessert but I eat it at mealtime on S days.
I don't eat out as often as I used to but I will eat fries and nachos as part of meal even on N days.
: )

I still eat too fast. Sometimes my plates are too large. At times I have to eat a meal in my car...but No S works for me. I love it. Nothing else works. I have failed on every diet except for the No S lifestyle. It's the only thing that has tamed the compulsion to overeat...and I have been doing this along time!

Blessings and have a good weekend everyone!
Last edited by 3aday on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:40 pm

I agree with KCCC. It does take awhile for them to settle down. I don't think eliminating them is a good idea.

Having said that, there's no law that says every Saturday, Sunday or holiday must be an S day.
Reinhard wrote:There are just three rules and one exception:

No Snacks
No Sweets
No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

I think there are probably no more than 12 days/year that ought to be S days. They are major national and religious holidays plus a few others. With everything else, I think in terms of S events.

For instance, my birthday was last week and we went out to dinner. Only that meal was an "S". I had appetizers and dessert. The rest of the day was just like any other N day, even though I also went out to lunch (and purposely ate half of my meal -- it was HUGE -- because I knew I was going out to dinner). I did bring home a ton of leftovers, but they became meals over the next 2-3 days.

If you go to a picnic or barbeque in the summer -- that's an S event. The rest of the day is "normal." A birthday party is an S-event, as are anniversary parties, wedding receptions, graduation parties and so on. The rest of the day is "normal." Super Bowl Sunday, the whole day is normal until game time. Then we snack through the game. If we go out for a special dinner or lunch -- that's an S event. The rest of the day is not.

I've also found that being very picky about treats, especially sweet treats, helps. I don't do grocery store sweet treats anymore -- the quality isn't there. If I'm having candy, it's going to be good stuff -- same with pastries and desserts.

If I want something like french fries, chips, tortilla chips and salsa -- they become part of a meal. I don't have to do without the things I like.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

amake616

Post by amake616 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Different things work for different people but personally (for me) I think that'd be a pretty disastrous idea. I know I weigh too much but I basically like myself and the way I look even though I have my off days and would rather give straight No-S a fair shot before I potentially screw myself up by messing with the formula. I know how to lose weight on a strict diet - I lost 25 pounds doing that when I was 17 and almost 50 after I gave birth. And then gained it all back. This seems more like a method of eating that allows you a sense of control and a normal lifestyle than a diet which is obviously what I need, not necessarily just another way to lose a bunch of weight I won't keep off.

For me, I started No-S the first day of classes (January 12th) and have decided to give it until the last day of classes (May 12th) before I screw with mods or give up. I figure that's a reasonable length of time to give it a fair assessment. Maybe you could sit down and think of a reasonable length of time (for you) to give this before you mod or change it. It might not be that long but it'll give you a set date and maybe until then you can cut yourself a break, ya know? Leave it all in No-S's hands, lol.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:10 pm

I am moving away from the idea of S days to S opportunities. I give myself a set number a week.

However, the S day habit is strong so I like to keep S opportunities for the weekend.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:10 pm

The reality is that you have NOT been on No-S long enough to judge about S-days. You just haven't.

Do listen to KCCC and check out S Days Gone Wild. It's one of Reinhard's very best podcasts and they're all quite good.

You simply haven't been no-Sing long enough to figure out what your S days SHOULD look like. Honest no kidding you haven't.

wosnes does have an interesting point that an S-Day in general shouldn't be an "eat all day", but I'd say that even THAT mental restriction should wait at least three months. (I'm a six months before mod typa gal, meeself).
Last edited by NoelFigart on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Yes, when I was trying to lose not maintain. Now I am more in the maintenance mode. It wasn't like I was depriving myself or anything on the weekends, I still ate three full meals, I just didn't have the sweets or snacks in between. I was never a person who ate senconds so that is the easiest NO S for me. When I am doing strict NO S, I don't even eat a mint in between meals, it isn't the calories it is the concept.

Now I am more liberal on the weekends, more likely to have a piece of cake or some ice cream or something but nothing crazy.

Right now I am getting back in the groove from the holidays (when I didn't really worry too much about the NO S concept, just enjoyed all the good cookies, candies and leftovers.)

Now I am back on track and it actually feels better, more sane. 8)
Last edited by Strawberry Roan on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berry

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:38 am

Personally, I'd take the S Days. I admit I have thought about not taking them thinking I'll see better/faster results and it has simply backfired on me. (as in a cycle of bingeing/worrying about it/frantically searching for the perfect diet/ becoming a diet head etc. etc.)
Again - the emphasis is on personal here, doesn't mean to say that because it happened that way to me, it will happen to anyone else and they'll not be successful with it.

But I think a big part of the 'problem' lies in trying to set mods for oneself too quickly. At lunchtime today in a cafe - my favorite setting for reflecting on the No S Diet - I was thinking about how useful the No S Diet can be in retraining habits...and you can take as long as you like since this is FOR LIFE and not just another quick-fix diet plan.

I also wish i could follow my own philosophy at times since today - something i said I wouldn't do but got curious - I weighed myself. In the morning first thing without clothes on. I weighed 168 lbs. Doesn't seem like I've lost any weight yet or at most 1 or 2 lbs, but I do have peace of mind and as long as I continue on the No S plan, I seriously think/hope I will remain in this great state of mind. Life is so darn hectic and moves at such a terrific pace, I really don't have the time or the inclination to stress over my eating habits and my body image anymore. Well, she says, that is my goal for this year. To remain in this serene state of mind, free from food anxiety. It is so wonderful. I feel as if I am much more pleasant to be around too. I don't want to make promises to myself (emphasis on myself) I can't keep however, so my aim is not to weigh myself, ever. I guess I got curious enough this morning to see if the No S plan was working and it looked like I hadn't lost much if anything. I guess I should be happy that I have stopped gaining. That was my main concern - that I was gaining weight at an alarming rate and it was getting out of hand. Now how much more convincing do I need to fully surrender to the No S Diet as Nicole so neatly put it...?? Because losing weight is just ONE of the bonuses/wonderful side effects of No S and not the be all and end all. Oh yes, I would love, love, love to lose 20 plus lbs and keep it off forever and if there was a guarantee that would happen on No S no matter how long it takes, then I would be absolutely delighted. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee and I don't know how long it will take and if I ever will lose 5, 10 or 20 lbs. But I am in a happy and relaxed place right now and long may it last!!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Relax. Follow the rules. Make sure your N day habits are solid. Read the 'phases of No S' sticky. This is not about a quick fix for your weight or eating habits. You are relearning how to eat for the rest of your life. Good luck :D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:11 pm

idon'tknow wrote:Relax. Follow the rules. Make sure your N day habits are solid. Read the 'phases of No S' sticky. This is not about a quick fix for your weight or eating habits. You are relearning how to eat for the rest of your life. Good luck :D
I agree and would add -- don't worry about the S days right now. They will calm down as time goes by and you adapt to the fact that "nothing is off-limits." I think some of your bingeing is due to having been deprived on other diets and just diet head.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:52 pm

I totally get the philosophy of S days and it makes sense. However, I am not very interested in them... not because of diet head or that I am trying to lose weight faster or because I can't handle them (YET, 1 day I am will) but rather because I'm not feeling I NEED a treat.

For me I'm just thrilled not to worry about my calories, worry about whether I'm eating brown bread or white bread or that I'm eating something fattening. For me it feels incredible to feel full at a meal and to eat the whole meal without needing seconds or wanting a treat. I am just happy to feel more in control. Right now I eat 1 thing off of my plate and it sends me into a full on binge.

I was trying so hard to quit coffee in an attempt to be healthier and that I have read over and over that coffee inhibits weight loss and so I figured between being addicted and it not being healthy I tried so hard to quit and I couldn't. I decided to stop quitting things and just live. I enjoy coffee with milk and it helps me around 3pm or 4pm to tide me over until dinner.

I now have no more than 2 cups per day. The point I'm trying to make is that coffee is a treat for me. I don't have it with sugar or sweetner but it is my treat. The fact that I don't have to deny myself my meals or my coffee I feel happy and I just don't feel that I want the S day.

Later, if I feel the need for a treat and I want to take an S day and feel more in control I will do so. But for me treats are triggers for me and I don't like feeling out of control and I just don't have any cravings.

Does this make sense? It doesn't feel right for me personally to take an S day just to take it because it's part of the process. If I'm happy right now without them, shouldn't I carry on?

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:00 pm

Just do what feels right for you, hon :wink:

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:08 am

You do not have to eat more than you want to on S days. If you arrive at an S day and do not want to eat snacks, sweets, or seconds, then don't.

Often, on S days, I just have seconds. Today I had two pieces of pizza at lunch where I would normally have had one. I don't snack much. I might have a cookie with lunch or if there are some around (I love ginger bread cookies) .
gettheweightoff wrote:I totally get the philosophy of S days and it makes sense. However, I am not very interested in them... not because of diet head or that I am trying to lose weight faster or because I can't handle them (YET, 1 day I am will) but rather because I'm not feeling I NEED a treat.

Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."