What an S Day can look like

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

What an S Day can look like

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Caveat: I have a lot of weight to lose, and am averaging a pound a week.

Breakfast: Optimized Oatmeal. (I find that if I eat breakfast right away, my day goes better).

Snack: Mini-bagel toasted with butter.

Lunch: SUSHI (California roll and 3 piece of nigiri sushi).

Snack: Made pound cake cupcakes, and licked the beater when I was done. Ahhh, the childhood memories. I enjoy the freedom to do that almost as much as I enjoy the actual cupcake.

Dinner: Pork loin in wine, fettuccine alfredo, steamed green beans, vanilla glazed pound cake cupcake for dessert.

Don't know yet, but I'll probably have an appletini before I go to bed, too.

That's about what I like my S-days to look like. Enjoy a few treats, but not going overboard at all. While it's not possible to fail on an S-day, I do like to stick to the three meal structure as much as possible. That makes me a bit pickier about any treats I might have. But notice I wasn't "good" as in didn't have any snacks or treats. I don't even try to do that.

I also like my treats to be a little labor-intensive. Notice I made rather than bought dessert. I credit this to wosnes, because I think she has a good point about how one can and should eat any junk food they're willing to go to the trouble to MAKE BY HAND. Ferinstance, how much pasta would you eat if you had to make it by hand?

Anyway, I wanted put an S-day that I was pleased with out there. This wasn't me limiting myself or making any specific decisions other than to eat three meals a day and plan for dessert. The bagel was a whim. (As was lunch. Sushi is a treat to me, no matter how N-day legal it is for a meal).
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:23 pm

I think that's a very nice demonstration of the important, but often overlooked adverb in Reinhard's original description: sometimes.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Becoming

Post by Becoming » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:26 am

Thanks for your post, NoelFigart. I'm really interested in what other peoples S-days look like, particularly those who have been doing No-S for a while. I've just started, so I'm focusing on getting the N-days right. I love the whole concept of the S-days, and am enjoying mine to the fullest at the moment, which is ok because I don't see where I am right now as a weight loss phase. Once I've got the N-day habit properly established I will address my S-Days (thanks KCCC). So if anyone else wants to share their S-days, I for one would love to read about them!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:18 am

A typical S day for me has a snack in it (mid afternoon, neither particularly big or sweet - cheese and crackers, maybe), and maybe desert after dinner one day. I like ice cream on a Saturday night.

That's it.
Becoming wrote:Thanks for your post, NoelFigart. I'm really interested in what other peoples S-days look like, particularly those who have been doing No-S for a while. I've just started, so I'm focusing on getting the N-days right. I love the whole concept of the S-days, and am enjoying mine to the fullest at the moment, which is ok because I don't see where I am right now as a weight loss phase. Once I've got the N-day habit properly established I will address my S-Days (thanks KCCC). So if anyone else wants to share their S-days, I for one would love to read about them!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gk

Post by gk » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for posting the S Day examples. I liked reading them as well. That has always been my struggle on S days - can't decide how much and how often I want my S's to occur.

It can be such a dilemna sometimes.....have a taste and it makes you want to splurge. However, if you deny yourself completely, you build up to a binge anyway.

Hmmmm..... from what I've read on the bulletin, I guess over time you just build your habits well enough that you can resist the splurges after a taste. I can't wait until I reach that point. What an accomplishment!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:21 pm

gk, if you've been doing this less than three months of all green on your N-days, I can't recommend in any way worrying about this. Let S-days be off the hook at first. Seriously. THEN worry about S-days if you need to be conscious about it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:00 am

[b]NoelFigart[/b] wrote:gk, if you've been doing this less than three months of all green on your N-days, I can't recommend in any way worrying about this. Let S-days be off the hook at first. Seriously. THEN worry about S-days if you need to be conscious about it.[/quote

Thanks for the advice! As of this morning, I had decided to go with the plan of 1-2 snacks and 1 sweet on each S day. Today went well, but we'll see.

My first 21 days at No S back in November were vanilla style, all green - was in heaven. My second month, however, slowly deteriorated......first my weekends turned to binge fests and then those behaviors slowly bled into my N days, to the point that I stopped altogether after several attempts to get back on the wagon.

Here I am again, with a MUCH better attitude and stronger willpower, but I admit there's still that lingering voice of doubt in the back of my mind. I've messed up trying every route out there.....too strict...too lenient....middle of the road. I am absolutely convinced there is no better diet out there than No S....just have to figure out how to tweak it to best fit my situation.

If my new plan for S Days doesn't pan out after all, will give the "no rules on S Days a try". Sounds like more than one of the long-time No S'ers have used that approach and you're still around with good results, so that's gotta mean something! (If I remember right, Reinhard even suggested that in his book as well. Probably should re-read some of that. :))