workout suggestions...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mad scientist

workout suggestions...

Post by mad scientist » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:56 am

hey everyone,

First off, I am new to the forum :)

My weight has always been up and down overt the years, reaching a high of 225 and a low of 155 pounds. I am currently at a very comfortable weight for my height and frame at 175 pounds. The thing is, because of my constant yo yo'ing, (I think) I have some loose skin and some stretch marks. It is because of this, that I am too embarrassed to take my shirt off in public and the like.

I have finally decided to try and tighten up my belly, but am rather clueless on the type of diet and exercises/equipment that are needed to do so. So, if possible, would anyone be able to recommend any foods/ exercises that would help me tone up my middle section?

I have included pictures for reference purposes :)

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:19 am

It depends - can you handle boring things like workouts? Or would you rather do something more fun?

Shovelglove is apparently pretty good - but my exercise of choice is martial arts. If you're at all interested I recommend looking up a dojo in your area, you can usually try a class for free :)
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:57 pm

Okay, a six pack is mostly a body fat/youth thing. As you drift back to 155, you'll start seeing abs more.

However, goodness me, yes! Shovelglove combined with No-S will take care if this for you with no problems at all. It'll take a little time, but I think you'd like the results.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm the kind of person that likes most fitness classes. I also like weights. I'm meh about cardio machines, I can do them several times a week but not every day. I love to ride my bike but only for about an hour or so. Walking is ok, but only in short amounts. I'd much rather do three 10-minute walks than one 30 minute walk. I really like hiking, though. And don't even talk to me about running. Haven't swum in years but I think I might like that as I really liked it when I was a kid.

The point of all this is that fitness really does depend on what you like - what makes you feel energized not just physically but emotionally. You won't get the full emotional benefit if you dread doing it. Eventually you won't get the physical benefit either because you will stop working out. Like your eating plan, your workout plan must be sustainable.

Being trim is a holistic proposition. Find something you enjoy doing. Do it regularly. Include exercises for your core (abs/lower back). Do strength training be it shovel glove or free weights or whatever. Eat reasonable amounts of food you like, being sure to include protein which you will need for building muscle (it doesn't have to be every meal).

You will probably spend at least 6 months or so figuring out what really works for you. If you look around the website you will find Reinhard's cheesecake photos. That's about as good an advertisement as any I've seen for his program.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:21 pm

There's another post in this forum about a weigh lifting personal trainer's recommendation for "getting ripped" - walk 40 or so minutes a day on an empty stomach.

My personal experience is that the best way to flatten your belly and get rid of belly fat - assuming you are doing some resistance work (weight lifting) is the same. Walk. But I love to walk - love it. I do my best thinking when I walk, and I do it every day at lunch (when there isn't unsafe frozen precip on the ground like this week.... grrrr....)

It may be serendipity, but Rienhard's three main systems, No S, Shovel Glove, and Urban Ranger are a terrific combination.

And I do work some sprints in as well. Actually, whenever I move from my car to a store, I do a sprint (not all out, but as fast as practical). I find that a mini sprint multiple times each day is very energizing. VERY energizing.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

mad scientist

Post by mad scientist » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:55 pm

thanks everyone for the suggesstions! I currently do about an hour cardio (jogging for 30 minutes and riding a stationary bike for 30 minutes) and about 30 minutes of free weights.

I actually enjoy cardio, but loathe the weight lifting, thus why I don't have much muscle on my frame :D

I will look into Rienhard's and see if it is something I might enjoy.

Also, one more question, as far as a "diet" goes, I currently suffer from a sweet tooth, and drink lots of soda (although it is mostly diet). What kinds of foods would you recommend I eat/snack on. Also, please keep in mind I am allergic to eggs.

Thanks again everyone for the help! Look forward to meeting everyone in the coming weeks.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 pm

You're not supposed to snack. That's the point.

*grin* The No-S Diet is:

No Sweets
No Snacks
No Seconds
Except (sometimes) on days beginning with S.

I'm not sure how you found the message board, but I encourage you to check out Reinhard's page on the No-S Diet, or even buy a copy of the book. It's a clear, easy and entertaining read. There's a link to the book on Amazon on the referenced page.

In a nutshell, though, you can eat anything you want for three meals a day as long as it fits on a plate and isn't a sweet.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:17 am

For ripped abs: Pilates! The girl to guy ratio in most classes is pretty awesome if you're single and straight too. ;)
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6