Help please, needing some encouragement today

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gettheweightoff

Help please, needing some encouragement today

Post by gettheweightoff » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi all,

I try to post positive things and don't want to annoy anyone but I am feeling very discouraged today and frustrated.

I am green and don't have any intention on falling off track but I feel uncomfortably big. My clothes are very tight and I feel like I am actually gaining weight on No-S and not losing anything at all.

I know this is my fault for having some S days but I'm feeling like jumping ship and starting something new. There is another part of me that says stay the course and see what happens after a new month of doing No-s.

None of my clothes fit and I'm tired of trying to squeeze into them. Just want this weight off already

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:24 pm

The important thing isn't your weight, or how your clothes fit.

The important thing is to have a healthy and sustainable lifestyle.

If you go on some other less-sustainable diet to lose weight, you'll lose the weight (maybe) ... then what? If that diet isn't something you can stay on for the rest of your life, you're very likely to regain any weight you lose.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Can you change clothes? Seriously. This seems to be a downward emotional trigger for you.

Do stretches and deep breathing. When I get upset, I tense up. Stretch, breathe, stretch, breathe.

Do something good for yourself. Drink some water or tea. Put on some fun music and shake the booty. Read a funny comic strip and laugh. Watch some cute dog videos on Youtube.

If you are stuck at your desk, sit up straight and do ab clenches and Kegels. Ok, Kegels don't help with the weight but... well, this is a PG board. Let's just say it's for later tonight.

Get involved in something so you forget how physically uncomfortable you are.

This stress/response cycle is hard to break. You don't feel good so you start getting irritated and frustrated and then you go on some crazy, quick fix diet and of course you feel deprived (because you are being deprived) so you rebel.

This is not that. This is No S. You are not deprived. You are being an adult. Tell your inner child you can't have it (the weight off) now then get her busy with something else.

It's a marathon. Not a sprint.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:32 pm

I doubt that it's your fault for having S days. But even if it is, as your habits moderate, things will change.

Stay the course -- and bear in mind that it may well take longer than a month. As I recall, you don't have much to lose. It seems to take longer to see results when you don't have much to lose than when you have much more to lose.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:35 pm

You can do this!

First of all, it's not your fault for having some S days - you are supposed to have S days, that's part of the diet!

You *might* be gaining a little bit of weight on No-S so far, BUT it's probably too early to tell what you weight will do longterm on No-S. For better or for worse, this isn't a fast results diet.

I gained weight my first week on NoS. I'm now down over 40 lbs. If I'd given up because I wasn't losing fast enough, I'd probably still be over 220 pounds.

Just keep focusing on building the NoS habits and try not to stress too much about the day to day. You can do this.

Also, something to consider in the short term is if you are *really* gaining weight, or just feeling a bit bloated. I track my weight daily (I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it works well for me). From this, I've learned that every month or so I have a week where I tend to gain weight (not just a single day gain either, a gain I will maintain for many days). It's not always the week I would expect it to be either. And it's not super regular when it occurs, but there are definitely a bunch of upward bumps in my weight graph.

So take heart. You can do this.

ETA: And I'll second the comment about different clothes. Stressing is generally counterproductive :)
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

amake616

Post by amake616 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:45 pm

If I were you I'd think about buying some new clothes. Seriously. You seem to mention your clothes feeling tight a lot in your down sounding posts and some attractive new clothes might make you feel a bit better and help keep some of the desperate feeling away.

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:28 pm

I third and fourth the new clothes thing! Go buy something (or three or four) that you feel good in! I did this, and it made a world of difference.
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks so much everyone.

Before I even saw these responses I was thinking about purging my clothes and buying some new ones. This is just ridiculous already and I know it's going to take some time until I lose a few lbs and even if I don't I have no choice but to accept myself the way I am because I am not going to go on another diet, deprive myself and keep binge eating. No way, no how.

I appreciate all of your advice and I want you to know that I am taking the advice. I don't want to diet ever again and I don't want to feel so uncomfortable.

I'm going to have to focus on other things. I'll concentrate on toning up instead of weight loss.

Again, thank you

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:53 pm

p.s. Not sure if they would be to your personal style, but Levis jeggings did my body a world of good. They look super cute with tall boots and are really, really comfie. :)
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

Lorelei

Post by Lorelei » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:32 pm

I totally agree with the idea of getting some new clothes. Part of "diet head" (in my opinion) is the belief that we should postpone things until we lose weight, or get to "that" size, or whatever the case. You deserve to be comfortable NOW! So go out there, get a cute and comfy new outfit, and enjoy it!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:51 am

Hey there Nicole! Just logged in this evening and read your post! I'd just like to echo what everyone else has been saying here and to let you know I am rooting for you - whoo whoo!! Well done for taking time to log in and post....its always nice to hear from you, especially since we have similar thoughts etc. when it comes to food/eating.

I too have been feeling a bit down recently when it comes to my body image/fitting into clothes - I have put so much weight on over the holidays etc., and lack of exercise isn't helping but I tell myself that this is just a phase and if I keep on with No S, it will pass soon enough. I just spent a very enjoyable hour or two reading over the Testimonials page and getting lots of inspiration etc. from the impressive weight losses and peace of mind people have from following No S. I definitely recommend taking a look, if you haven't done so already. I've also been re-reading over my copy of the No S book and finding it helpful. (even though you mentioned you did not care for diet books anymore... except the No S one of course, which isn't really a diet as such...!) It was very exciting to read those testimonials and I feel rejuvenated and confident that No S is the way to go!! Have a great evening everyone and all the best for No S!!!

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:18 pm

Roxy, thanks for the support and your kind words as always.

I am rooting for you too and honestly it does help to get rid of the too tight clothes along with the diet head. It doesn't mean you are surrendering to being bigger than you would like. It just removes the bad feelings so you can feel something else.

I think it is very ironic that you get rid of the tight clothes so you can feel better and lose the weight in a healthy way mentally and physically which means you will probably fit into them and really lose weight without the pressure of trying to fit into them. Does that make sense?

Anyways it has helped to get rid of these silly jeans. I have some more clothes to purge but am a bit reluctant because I won't have much to wear until I buy some new things to replace them.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:42 pm

gettheweightoff wrote:It doesn't mean you are surrendering to being bigger than you would like. It just removes the bad feelings so you can feel something else.

I think it is very ironic that you get rid of the tight clothes so you can feel better and lose the weight in a healthy way mentally and physically which means you will probably fit into them and really lose weight without the pressure of trying to fit into them. Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense. By making a ritual of punishing yourself every morning by trying on jeans that don't fit, you're focusing on failure. Have you failed to keep slender? Yep. Me too. But that's DONE. Past. I don't have a time machine and neither do you.

But, by throwing away those old jeans, you made a different choice. You're choosing to accept what IS, and then go on to make the choices on a daily basis that will create a different reality in the future.

And, just like choosing to defer eating a treat or a snack on an N-day, then promising yourself that on an S day you'll get something BETTER than the stale cookies that were tempting you, when you get smaller than you are now, you'll buy something BETTER than second hand jeans when the time comes.

I think you're smart to choose to wear clothes that fit. I bet it really helps a lot.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.