Things are going well...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

librarylady

Things are going well...

Post by librarylady » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10 pm

I started the No S diet about one month ago. A few years ago I had lost a considerable amount of weight (about 45 pounds). I did it by cutting out all sweets, seconds and snacks and exercising for 30 minutes a day 6 days a week on a treadmill. I was very pleased with myself as I weighed less than I had since I was in my thirties (I'm a 54 year old woman).

However I had not built in any way to handle maintenance. So snacks began to gradually sneak back into my diet as did sweets. I love my own cooking, so second helpings made a reappearance as well. I had felt deprived for so long - a little bit couldn't hurt could it? Moreover my work and life schedule changed so that the 6 day a week, 30 minutes on the treadmill also went by the boards. So I regained - not the whole amount by any means, but more than I wanted.

No S is working for me because it gets me back into the no sweets, no snacks no seconds drill which I can do quite easily when I put my mind to it. I know very well that the hunger I felt in the first week would dissipate by the second ( it has). However the S days are the key. I can eat those girl scout cookies I've been eying (I never binge so one or two are all I need). I can finish the mashed potatoes on Sunday night. This gives me the structure I did not have with my homemade diet. So far this month I have lost 6 pounds! I am still looking for a way to get my exercise in. I do take public transportation - much going up and down stairs to trains and walking five blocks to work. And my dog does not believe in strolling - when I walk him it's a powerwalk!

Anyway just checking in!

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:11 am

wow. very impressive

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 am

Well done, Library Lady! I love stories like this. Didn't you know that women over 50 aren't supposed to be able to lose weight?

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 am

I am so used to hearing from women my age about the impossibility of losing weight. Then they go on and on about their new diet and inevitably the talk turns to the snacks they eat - but they are healthy snacks!!! Or they mutter darkly about wicked white flour or some other "bad food".

I love ALL food - and I also love wine. One of the things that I liked about this diet is that wine was not simply dismissed as "empty calories"!! I lost those 45 pounds and drank wine with dinner - for one thing it makes me eat slower and savor my food. It's civilized - and if you can't be civilized after 50 - give up! :D

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:00 am

Hi Librarylady.
I'm over 50 too. I started back on NoS in November but got seriously derailed over Christmas for a few weeks. I'm also hampered in exercise at the moment because of a hip injury. And I too like the occasional glass of wine with dinner.
Nevertheless...drumroll...I've lost 6.5 lbs over the past 10 weeks. Given how disrupted things have been over our long summer holiday, I"m very pleased with that.
Ah, NoS, I wuv you.

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:04 am

Library Lady....
Wow, are you my cyber twin?
50 yrs old
Lost 45 pounds about 5 years ago.
Slowly have regained about 15 in the last 3 years.
Love my wine and cooking. Let some bad habits creep back in around those things. Exercise dropped off.

So happy to find this eating plan (can't call it a diet, which I love). Hoping that a little structure is all I need. I ride my bike for exercise so invariably gain at least 10#s in the winter when I am not outside. I am trying to get those 30 min of treadmill in during bad weather months...

So glad to see your story here!!!!!
Kerry

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Well, we could all be cyber-triplets...

I'm 54, and when I found No-S a few years ago, the scales were once again on the upswing... I'd battled them down twice with WW, but could NOT maintain that level of attention forever.

I'm a real advocate of No-S... it literally changed my life. Not only can I stay at a healthy weight with it (and do so with relative ease), it gave me a way to ENJOY food for probably the first time in my life.

Full details on my testamonial thread. But welcome from another 50+ for whom No-S works.

kerrycrow

Post by kerrycrow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Very encouraging, all!
Yes, I too am a WW Lifetime member, even worked as a Leader for awhile. Friend of mine is trying to convince me to come back to the fold, but I'm going to stick with NoS for awhile!
Kerry

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Quadruplet signing in here. I, too, am 54 years old. I've been doing No S since September 7, 2009, and have lost 71 pounds so far. Like KCCC, No S has changed my life - in my case I believe it SAVED my life.

Oh, and welcome librarylady!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Wow - I really have a lot of cybersiblings here! All of us giving the lie to the canard that women after 50 cannot lose weight. Actually (and I hope this isn't TMI) since the big M (Menopause) it has been easier for me to lose weight than throughout my forties. Maybe because the hormonal business has just taken a hike (great exercise that!) There were times during that decade when I seemed to have PMS and bloating for most of the month!

All of your stories are really inspiring - this is the way to live like normal people. I never wanted to go to "dietland" as I've always thought of it - a world where people obsessed about every ingredient, a world where butter and potatoes and bread and bacon and (yes) wine were banished and replaced by products some DIET was hawking.

But then I thought of my own dear grandma, who lived to 100, walked everywhere until she was in her late 90s and ate three meals a day, with a potato (and butter on it) every dinner of her LIFE (make a wild guess as to her place of birth - yes a little island hanging off the coast of the west of Europe) -AND had a shot of whiskey every night as well. And she weighed about 105 pounds. She never snacked and had sweets only on Sunday night. She was, like most of our ancestors, a natural No S follower!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:41 am

Wow, Starla, you really are inspirational. That's fantastic!