Books To Read With No-S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

exdieter

Books To Read With No-S

Post by exdieter » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm a big reader, and seems like reading something new every month or so really helps me keep my motivation up. Thought I'd start a thread with books to read, in addition to the No-S Diet book, of course!

Here are my recos for the morning:

1. Health at Every Size, by Linda Bacon: http://www.amazon.com/Health-At-Every-S ... 265&sr=8-1

2. Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition, and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves by Crystal Renn: http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Appetite-A ... 326&sr=1-1
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:41 pm

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

Food Rules by Michael Pollan

Food Matters by Mark Bittman

In addition to cookbooks, they are the only books about food that I have. None of my cookbooks are "healthy."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Breaking Free From Compulsive Eating, by Geneen Roth: http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Com ... 0452270847

Her eating system is not practical for me, but her understanding of the emotional side of eating blew me away. This book also profoundly affected how I approach S days, although I wasn't doing No S when I read this book. She is very open and vulnerable and tells the truth.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:36 am

Diets Don't Work by I forgot :roll:, The Diet Alternative by Diane Hampton, and The Wieghdown Diet by Gwen Shamblin
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:21 am

These aren't diet books. Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley (Flylady) and The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.

If you were to draw a Venn diagram of their respective key concepts, there would be areas of overlap between those systems and No S.

Flylady has a book called Body Clutter. She is No-Sish in her approach except for snacks. Unfortunately, she is in the "healthy snacks" camp.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:28 pm

I use Flylady's system for housekeeping. That recipe book is in the household control journal.

I don't always wear lace-up shoes in the house. More to the point, I wear slippers when it is cold and nothing when it is hot. That poor lady would not push lace up shoes like she does if she lived in an area of the country that had sloppy weather, gritty snow or mud season 3/4 of the year.

Though her point about having a ritual making sure that you're in "work mode" and serious about your day is an important one. I don't think it has to be shoes, but it definitely has to be SOMETHING.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:02 pm

NoelFigart wrote:I use Flylady's system for housekeeping. That recipe book is in the household control journal.

I don't always wear lace-up shoes in the house. More to the point, I wear slippers when it is cold and nothing when it is hot. That poor lady would not push lace up shoes like she does if she lived in an area of the country that had sloppy weather, gritty snow or mud season 3/4 of the year.

Though her point about having a ritual making sure that you're in "work mode" and serious about your day is an important one. I don't think it has to be shoes, but it definitely has to be SOMETHING.
I have clogs on as I type this. And I don't shine my sink. But I am mindful of keeping it empty, not letting the dirty dishes accumulate.

Flylady recognizes the power of habit in her system, although she swears by the sink and shoes as Must Do Habits. The parameters I carry in my head are doing things in 15 minute increments, jumping in where ever you are without trying to catch up, find accomplishment and pleasure in what you accomplish rather than always looking at what remains undone. 5 minute room rescuses and making decluttering an on-going thing (throw/give away 27 things everyday) are there too. Morning and evening routines to some degree.

I have a quasi-control journal. I think I will try to move that more online. Yesterday, I sat down and spent some time mastering Cozi as DH just doesn't engage with the paper calendar in the kitchen.
Last edited by Blithe Morning on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:53 pm

I use bits of Flylady's system, too. I have firmly established routines for keeping the house basically clean. I don't always shine the sink, but I do 'swish and swipe' every day - that makes a huge difference to me. I like the whole ethos of getting rid of perfectionism - 'good enough is good enough'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:50 pm

I also use parts of Flylady's system -- and I don't put on shoes first.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:04 pm

It seems that No S might also stand for No Shoes. :lol:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:It seems that No S might also stand for No Shoes. :lol:
Good one! :D

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:39 pm

The Nine Inch "Diet", by Alex Bogusky. About how plates and serving sizes have crept up in size over the past 50 years in the US.

Mindless Eating, by Brian Wansink. About cues other than hunger that tell us to eat or keep eating. Very useful for finding some mods to help you on No S. I don't like his suggestions of "food tradeoffs", though- that seems likely to be more trouble than it's worth.
wosnes wrote:
Blithe Morning wrote:It seems that No S might also stand for No Shoes. :lol:
Good one! :D
Sounds good to me! I've always taken off my shoes pretty soon after getting home when I can. Now, with the slush and salt that are everywhere outside in Pittsburgh this time of year, I have yet another reason to do so.
Noel Figart wrote:Though her point about having a ritual making sure that you're in "work mode" and serious about your day is an important one. I don't think it has to be shoes, but it definitely has to be SOMETHING.
This is why you get dressed, instead of staying in your night clothes all day, even when you aren't planning to go out or have anybody come over.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 pm

I like Flylady's idea of spending a short period of time cleaning each day - a bit like the 14 mins of exercise. Ten mins spent on de-cluttering or on tidying one cupboard or cleaning a room each day really makes a difference. Reduces the feeling of being overwhelmed and makes the once-a-week whip-through that much easier.

I also don't follow the shoe thing - we're bare feet or slippers people in the house too - all shoes off at the front door - but she has got me to make sure we all make our beds in the morning as soon as we get up - and that dirty things aren't left in the sink overnight.

Three small things she has given me that have stuck and made a difference. (I don't always do the 10 mins - some weeks are better than others - but I at least try to declutter every day - can't believe how much paper we seem to accumulate.)