3-Step Food Philosophy

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

3-Step Food Philosophy

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 pm

I could have put this under several other topics, but couldn't decide which one. This is also from scordo.com: USDA Dietary Guidelines and my 3-Step Food Philosophy.
Vincent Scordo wrote: 1. Make Italian (or any other simple ethnic food) from scratch (with the best ingredients you can afford) and repeat the process.

2. Avoid eating out and processed/prepackaged food.

3. Derive happiness and quality of life from eating high quality food and pass the tradition on to your family and children (you'll surprised how nice life is when you eat well).

So, my advice on the revised USDA guidelines: ignore them. Eating well can never start with government intervention, rather it starts with individuals and families making a conscious decision to take ingredients and, in turn, the preparation of food seriously.

Two more on Italian cuisine:

In Praise of Peasant Cooking

This can't be linked to at the article
The 7 Rules of the Italian Kitchen

I was looking for something else today and found this quote from Mark Twain: Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Graham

Post by Graham » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:52 am

I loved the Mark Twain quotation, one to savour - but a word of caution about peasant cuisine: don't expect too much from it.

Looking at the "7 rules of the Italian Kitchen" article, it is illustrated with a picture of a beaming Italian lady - and she's FAT. She looks just like the older ladies I saw when I visited Italy as a child. The young women were slim, the middle-aged ones seemed to be very well padded. My dad said it was "eating all that pasta"

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Graham wrote: Looking at the "7 rules of the Italian Kitchen" article, it is illustrated with a picture of a beaming Italian lady - and she's FAT. She looks just like the older ladies I saw when I visited Italy as a child. The young women were slim, the middle-aged ones seemed to be very well padded. My dad said it was "eating all that pasta"
I've read that article at least a dozen times and never noticed the picture. However, it's one picture, probably inserted by the newspaper in which the article appeared. We don't know if the woman is Italian, Italian-American or some other nationality.

The weight gain is not unlike what I've noticed among the Amish here in the midwest. The younger people are slim, the older people gain weight. It's most likely due to the fact that the young people have taken over the day-to-day work and the elders are far less active than they were in the past -- especially the women. Their eating habits haven't changed. That is, they still eat as much as they used to when they were more active.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nichole

Re: 3-Step Food Philosophy

Post by Nichole » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:23 pm

wosnes wrote:I could have put this under several other topics, but couldn't decide which one. This is also from scordo.com: USDA Dietary Guidelines and my 3-Step Food Philosophy.
Vincent Scordo wrote: 1. Make Italian (or any other simple ethnic food) from scratch (with the best ingredients you can afford) and repeat the process.

2. Avoid eating out and processed/prepackaged food.

3. Derive happiness and quality of life from eating high quality food and pass the tradition on to your family and children (you'll surprised how nice life is when you eat well).

So, my advice on the revised USDA guidelines: ignore them. Eating well can never start with government intervention, rather it starts with individuals and families making a conscious decision to take ingredients and, in turn, the preparation of food seriously.

Two more on Italian cuisine:

In Praise of Peasant Cooking

This can't be linked to at the article
The 7 Rules of the Italian Kitchen

I was looking for something else today and found this quote from Mark Twain: Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
I find number 3 especially interesting. I really feel like cooking and baking from scratch really adds happiness and fullness to my life.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Graham

Post by Graham » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:48 pm

wosnes wrote:
Graham wrote: Looking at the "7 rules of the Italian Kitchen" article, it is illustrated with a picture of a beaming Italian lady - and she's FAT. She looks just like the older ladies I saw when I visited Italy as a child. The young women were slim, the middle-aged ones seemed to be very well padded. My dad said it was "eating all that pasta"
I've read that article at least a dozen times and never noticed the picture. However, it's one picture, probably inserted by the newspaper in which the article appeared. We don't know if the woman is Italian, Italian-American or some other nationality.
We do know who the woman is: quoting from Lisa Cecconi's "7 rules" article:

"It’s so…so…my Nonna! [...pictured above, as no self-respecting article about incredible-food-without-incredible wealth should exist without her—at least not one written by me.]"

So it's Lisa Cecconi's "Nonna" which is an Italian term for grandmother. She is being cited as an embodiment of the Italian peasant cooking philosophy.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:27 pm

If it is her Nonna, then she is Italian American, and like most Americans doesn't move like her peasant ancestors. She also has access to much more food on a regular basis. Whereas the Nonna's own peasant grandmother probably ate pretty sparingly most days, saving the big dishes for holidays and maybe Sundays during periods of prosperity, for Italian Americans in the second half of the 20th century (heck for ALL Americans during the 2nd half of the 20th century) food was easily available in abundance - and overeating became common. Mix with not having to toil out in the fields and the normal slowing down of one's metabolism as one gets older and voila - you get fat!!

What No s does is restore the "big dishes" and "second helpings" to the weekends and holidays. I tend to eat things like soup and bread, or main dish salads, or one pot dishes with lots of vegetables and a little meat during the week and leave the roasts etc. to the weekends and holidays. If I cut out snacks and desserts as well during the week my eating gets closer to the "peasant ideal". (Now all I have to do is walk everywhere and toil in the fields!!) :D

wosnes

Re: 3-Step Food Philosophy

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Nichole wrote: I find number 3 especially interesting. I really feel like cooking and baking from scratch really adds happiness and fullness to my life.
The belief that "cooking is drudgery" started about the time there started to be reaction to The Feminine Mystique. I don't know anyone who wouldn't say that caring for their family is their highest priority. Yet feeding them well often falls to the bottom of the list of priorities.

If you can find it, read "The Keeper of the Keys" by Carol Flinders in the original Laurel's Kitchen (1978). It is one of my favorite pieces of writing. This is just a little of it:
Carol Flinders wrote:I have begun to wonder, of late, about this belief that housework is essentially tedious. To what extent do you suppose it has been hoisted upon us by those same commercial interests who so obligingly provide us with dishwashers, dehydrated dinners, and disposable diapers – all meant very generously, of course, to relieve us of all that horrible work, obviously an evil in itself?

What really troubles us most about housekeeping is that in our desire to be freed from its tedium, we have welcomed a host of time- and labor-saving devices which have not only not eliminated tedium but cut us off from the truly pleasurable, creative side of our work…Worst of all, these labor saving products and devices represent an enormous sinkhole for the worlds diminishing resources. The world cannot afford this version of homemaking.

The less than thrilling side of homemaking will always be there. But as soon as we take into our own hands some of the tasks we’d previously consigned to machines and manufacturers, our work becomes vastly more gratifying.

Why compartmentalize our lives so that art is a thing apart? There is an artistic way to carry out even the simplest task, and there is great fulfillment to be had from finding out that way and perfecting it. To lead lives of artistry, we have only to slow down, to simplify, and to start making wise choices.
librarylady wrote:If it is her Nonna, then she is Italian American, and like most Americans doesn't move like her peasant ancestors. She also has access to much more food on a regular basis. Whereas the Nonna's own peasant grandmother probably ate pretty sparingly most days, saving the big dishes for holidays and maybe Sundays during periods of prosperity, for Italian Americans in the second half of the 20th century (heck for ALL Americans during the 2nd half of the 20th century) food was easily available in abundance - and overeating became common. Mix with not having to toil out in the fields and the normal slowing down of one's metabolism as one gets older and voila - you get fat!!
Clara Cannucciari is probably a better example of peasant cooking than is Lisa Cecconi's nonna. Not all Italian cooking is peasant cooking and the majority of Italian-American cooking is most certainly not peasant cooking.
Last edited by wosnes on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:38 pm

I really like the excerpt!

Even after waking up at four or five am to feed and change Rachel (5 months), trudging to work for 8 hours, picking up Rachel, getting home around 4:15 or even 5ish, I still very much look forward to cooking.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:02 pm

I love to cook (not bake). I love to try to figure out new ways to use what I have on hand to make a tasty dish for dinner every night. On the weekends I like to splash out and try new things and make really nice special dishes.

Cleaning - err - well you can keep that. Because my mother was ill when I was a girl I've been keeping house, cleaning bathrooms, dusting, doing laundry. dishes etc. since I was 11. I wish it would do itself and give me more time to read and cook!! (Somebody else can do the dishes - got a handy scullery maid?) :lol:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:57 am

When I was searching for The 7 Rules of the Italian Kitchen I found more that specifically deal with eating. They're interesting:

From Life in Italy

From Le Marche Travel Guide

From Memorie di Angelina

I found those concerning beverages, especially milk and coffee, interesting. Milk isn't consumed with meals except breakfast because it's believed it kills the taste of food and interferes with digestion.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:06 pm

I just got around to reading this thread. Very good link, thank you. In "Born to Run" the author and the people he interviews state that people should "eat like they are poor", i.e. peasant food if you will.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79