Newbie Question -- Amount of Food clarification

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Alexandra

Newbie Question -- Amount of Food clarification

Post by Alexandra » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi: I am 9 days into my new way of life and I have a question about plate size/virtual plating. Last night I went to a Greek restaurant and ordered a small shish kebob sandwich (skewer of chicken and pita). It came on a small plate with some tomatoes. I also ate one lamb chop and a few scoops of salad and rice from my son's plate and one piece of garlic bread. I believe it all would have fit on a regular dinner size plate with the garlic bread resting on something else. A loaded plate, but one plate. I did feel very full at the end of the meal. I am not sure if I should count it as a fail. It was certainly more than I ate for lunch, but less than I would normally eat at this restaurant (my son's lamb chops came on an extra large platter-like plate with tons of rice, potatoes and salad -- I would normally have eaten something that size). For me this felt like a borderline situation -- but perhaps it is clearer to those of you who have been doing this for awhile. Any thoughts or advice for me?
Last edited by Alexandra on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:19 pm

If it would fit on one plate,it's okay. Sounds like it was a loaded plate, but that's okay. It's probably better than if you had consumed the one large plate of food.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Baseball11

Post by Baseball11 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:20 pm

I am also new, and the older posters probably have better answers than I do, but I'd say it was fine. I don't think you overdid it.

Alexandra

Post by Alexandra » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:31 pm

wosnes wrote:If it would fit on one plate,it's okay. Sounds like it was a loaded plate, but that's okay. It's probably better than if you had consumed the one large plate of food.

You are so right and I see now that it would have been better if I had asked the restaurant to bring me a normal dinner plate so I could put everything on one plate. Next time!

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:16 pm

I would say it is okay because you don't want to lose that momentum that you have with 9 days. I think though that you just need to make sure not to start virtual plating. this sort of got me in touble at one time.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:47 pm

jellybeans01 wrote:I think though that you just need to make sure not to start virtual plating. this sort of got me in touble at one time.
It's possible that one needs to take care with virtual plating, but it's suggested when one plate isn't available or possible. My own technique is "one serving of what is being served" -- except, of course, at buffets! :-)
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:31 am

The fact that you are asking shows that you are thinking about it, and did a pretty good job virtual-plating.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Alexandra

Post by Alexandra » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:44 am

Thanks everyone for the sage advice and encouragement. On to week 3!