Ah, spring- when my thoughts turn to emptying the freezer

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicest of the Damned

Ah, spring- when my thoughts turn to emptying the freezer

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 am

There's still snow on the ground, but Passover is coming in just a couple of months :shock:

We get rid of all our leaven at Passover (actually, we keep it separate from other food, and "sell" it to someone else). This involves, among many other things, segregating the not-ok-for-Passover food in the freezer from the other frozen food. The details of this are complex, but the important bit right now is that it goes a lot easier if the freezer is less full than if it's more full.

I'm trying to think up meal ideas that will use up food from our freezer. I've got an idea for the pound of stew beef in there (boeuf bourgignonne for Valentine's day). We've also got some lamb breast, a package or two of boneless skinless chicken thighs, and lots of Chinese snow peas. We've also got a fair size package of frozen broccoli. Anybody got some good meal ideas that will use one or more of those ingredients? Chinese or Chinese-style recipes would be good- we've got several packages of Chinese green onion pancakes and leek pancakes.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:50 am

There is a lot of snow on the ground. But, Spring is coming. Picthers and catchers report this coming week. 8)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:22 am

Yessir. The best and truest sign of Spring.
Over43 wrote:There is a lot of snow on the ground. But, Spring is coming. Picthers and catchers report this coming week. 8)
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:35 am

Seems like you gotta make a stir fry, with chicken thighs, snow peas and broccoli! :)

Also, I've made this, without the nuts/seeds. Bet you could toss some broccoli in there: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asian-Chic ... etail.aspx

p.s. Good Pesach to you!
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:56 am

Nicest,

I noticed Passover, like Easter is well into April this year. I'm feeling a little discombobulated as this is usually the time of year I start gearing up for Lent and we are still weeks away!

I do enjoy marking the passage of seasons by preparing for sacred and even civic holidays. It makes me feel very connected to the past.