Eating Habits Recommended in the Book Corps Strength

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

storm fox

Eating Habits Recommended in the Book Corps Strength

Post by storm fox » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:25 pm

The book is "Corps Strength" by Paul Roarke (sorry, I was having italics editing issues), a retired US Marine. His exercise recommendations are very cool, but take longer than 14 minutes (the price of going from "pretty good" levels of fitness to "holy monkeys!" levels. He has sustained fitness into his early fifties thusfar, and isn't really slowing down yet. If you can't tell, I really like the book.

Anyway, his recommendations for eating include 3 1-plate meals per day, and a 1 plate and 1 dessert splurge per week. He says in regard to snacking and frequent mini-meals: "I'm not a baby, you're not, either, and we don't need to be fed every two hours like one. We have better things to do than worry about when our next feeding is." He does permit a small snack if you're having a hard time dealing with hunger, but he recommends a piece of fruit or a SMALL handfull of raw nuts. He also makes it clear that snacking is unfavorable for his purposes (by context, performance is related to strength/and endurance to bodyweight ratio).

I like it.[/i]

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:18 pm

I raised two US Marines. They sure learned to run.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:45 am

I love the image of a NoS drill instructor: "All right, you apes! Are you BABIES? Do you need to EAT every TWO HOURS? NO YOU DO NOT! Drop and give me five (hours until dinner)! Hut! Hut!"

(Of course, we incline towards gentler forms of encouragement, around here. But whatever works for you ... some people might benefit from an inner drill instructor!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:14 pm

That's awesome. Especially the "I'm not a baby..." quote. May have to stick that on the home page...

Thanks!

Reinhard

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 pm

This post made my day! Everywhere I look I am told to eat no less than 5 times a day.....my trainer used to admonish me for not eating every two hours ...like a baby.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:01 pm

I love the "you're not a baby" quote! That's almost as good as the "a man doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy" one someone used to have as a signature here -- it was from a hardboiled noir author, I think, maybe Dashiell Hammett?