Exercise question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

Exercise question

Post by gk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 am

This probably isn't technically the right place to post this, but....

Does anyone have any ideas for a warm-up before exercising?

Years ago, I would just stretch before and after my exercising. Now, I'm starting up again, and I've read that you're supposed to warm-up before you stretch (to avoid injury)...then exercise....then stretch for a cool down.

I would just do a little walking to warm-up, but I have a bad hip and the treadmill tends to irritate it (very frustrating!!).

Anyway, thought I'd throw the question out there to see if any of you had some ideas on the subject. Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:01 am

Light but large motions and relaxed movement are generally good for warming up. Arm circles, knee raises or marching on the spot, twisting and bending. Any movement is fine, really; it's more a matter of starting light and not pushing the muscles before they're warm. Dynamic stretching is also good; clicken thee here for some exercises (don't try to do all of them in one session). If it helps, think of 'loosening' rather than 'warming' up.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

gk

Post by gk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Will give those a try. Thanks so much for the reply!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am

I just exercise. I haven't stretched in years. As my exercise session increases, I get warmer and the exercise becomes more "vigorous."
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79