My Month in the Wilderness

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

My Month in the Wilderness

Post by Over43 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 am

I spent the month of February wandering day after day shoving whatever I could digest into my mouth. At least it wasn't 40 years, but for awhile it didn't seem as though it would stop.

I have relearned a number of things, i.e. as much as I love Coke, I just can't drink it. I can tolerate the Diet Coke so I am not going "cold turkey...Too much bread: I don't think I am metabolically challenged, but too much bread makes a big difference...vermicilli/spaghetti: I had one plate of spaghetti with a tomato sauce and Itlaian sausage. I was 2-3 pounds heavier the next day. (I have seen others write about this, I was surprised.)...As much as I thought I could ride my duff off on the Airdyne, that didn't help me lose. I became more fit, but I did gain weight... Seasonal Affective Disorder? I have wondered what caused my feeding frenzy over the last month I wonder if it was SAD?

Who knows.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Kevin

Re: My Month in the Wilderness

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:51 am

How much did you gain in your February off-habit?

It's counter-intuitive, but exercise could be making you gain weight. You are adding muscle mass and probably working hard enough to increase your appetite. You can still achieve your goals, of course, but it's harder to eat moderately when you are exercising intensely. My best weight loss comes when I do mild exercise - that's walking - for 45 minutes or an hour a day. Last week I started SGing again, and my weight immediately jumped up by a pound and a half. Your muscles just hold more water when you are working them hard.

The thing I'm learning about food is: whatever you eat, meat, grain, or vegetable, as close to its natural state as possible is best. I notice it when I stray.

Good luck getting back on the horse!
Over43 wrote:I spent the month of February wandering day after day shoving whatever I could digest into my mouth. At least it wasn't 40 years, but for awhile it didn't seem as though it would stop.

I have relearned a number of things, i.e. as much as I love Coke, I just can't drink it. I can tolerate the Diet Coke so I am not going "cold turkey...Too much bread: I don't think I am metabolically challenged, but too much bread makes a big difference...vermicilli/spaghetti: I had one plate of spaghetti with a tomato sauce and Itlaian sausage. I was 2-3 pounds heavier the next day. (I have seen others write about this, I was surprised.)...As much as I thought I could ride my duff off on the Airdyne, that didn't help me lose. I became more fit, but I did gain weight... Seasonal Affective Disorder? I have wondered what caused my feeding frenzy over the last month I wonder if it was SAD?

Who knows.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:02 am

My February was a similar story to yours. I hate February - always have.
Here's to a better March :D

NoelFigart

Re: My Month in the Wilderness

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 am

Kevin wrote:It's counter-intuitive, but exercise could be making you gain weight. You are adding muscle mass
A young, genetically-gifted, unsupplemented (not taking steriods) female training to failure can expect to gain about a half a pound a week of muscle in the first 20 weeks of her training.

That weight prolly isn't fat after one day, but it probably isn't muscle, either. Increased glycogen stores would be my guess.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 am

I think I did eat more, in part because I did up the exercise, using the Airdyne 35 minutes 3 days a week, which by my Cooper Aerobic Point calculations gives me 30+ points a week. Which in his original 1967 book Aerobics was considered to be plenty for a grown up to do.

I like using the Airdyne because it is more "joint friendly" than Cooper's favorite exercise, jogging/running. Although when Eastern Idaho's mini ice age ends I might head outside for a jog or two.

I rode 107 miles in February, and am looking to get to 120 miles in March. I calculated that I burned 4300+ extra calories riding, but wonder how many I ate compensating for that?

I posted in my daily check in, three days on No S and my hands are getting smaller. Water weight, probably due to less salt intake?
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79