Wow....I actually did it!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

Wow....I actually did it!

Post by gk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:29 am

Tonight my daughter was in the regional spelling bee so I was, of course, in the front row for 2 1/2 hours, wringing my hands together and feeling the stress that she was trying to process on stage. (Trigger #1 - nerves/stress).

After the spelling bee, my husband suggested we stop by Culver's to get a treat (trigger #2 - major sweets-aholic) since she put so much hard work into the bee. My daughter ordered a shake....my husband ordered one.....and then as I gazed at the menu of all the delicous treats dripping with chocolate, I said with a smile, "No thanks. I'll pass." :shock: :shock: :shock: It's like the earth stopped rotating....that NEVER happens. And I wasn't churning inside with resentment toward my diet either - I actually was okay with it! It was late, so my supper was going to be pretty late and I was very hungry, but I knew if I just waited a little bit longer we'd be home, and I could eat something good for me and feel much better about myself (instead of the dreaded guilt after giving in).

To top it off, I could've had a plateful of greasy pizza left over from the kids' meals (trigger #3 - getting home late at night and wanting to binge as a "release"), but I passed and had a huge turkey salad. NOT because I felt it was more diet-appropriate (after all greasy pizza is totally allowed on No S), but because the salad sounded more appealing to me with all of its healthy ingredients versus the quick and less-satisfying time it would take to eat the pizza.

May not sound like much to some, but the fact that I didn't eat sweets when everyone else was and I didn't go home and dive into comfort foods is SO BIG for me. YES!!! :D

Becoming

Post by Becoming » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:02 am

gk, I totally understand how 'big' those little wins are when you're starting out. I think you did really well to make 3 healthy choices in one night. Congratulations!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:58 am

Sounds like a big win... congratulations.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Congratulations - overcoming not one, not two, but three triggers in one day! It's amazing what having a simple structure and simple intelligent rules can do. What is it - "put a fence around the law" - it works!

And congratulations to your speller as well - that's a lot of work! :D

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Wow, that's great, very empowering to be able to say No, thanks, not right now.

I, too, want to congratulate your daughter. I participated in spelling bees and it is very stressful :shock:

I also know what you mean about craving a nice big healthy salad. I recently was out and ordered onion rings as a treat, ate about three and found them to be very greasy (they credited my bill when they saw I hadn't eaten them although that wasn't really necessary, I am sure they were fine.) I just was picturing a big salad when I got home drenched with pomegranate vinegar dressing. :wink:
Berry

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Congratulations! This is a huge achievement! You should post this on the mini milestones thread!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:39 pm

I'm impressed. Multiple triggers in a row are hard for me - I can evade a few, but it's like I run out of...willpower? sense? Just the ability to cope?

Hanging on through ALL of those deserves a WOW! :)

Way to strengthen your habit muscle! :)

BrightAngel

Re: Wow....I actually did it!

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:01 pm

gk wrote:May not sound like much to some,
but the fact that I didn't eat sweets when everyone else was
and I didn't go home and dive into comfort foods is SO BIG for me. YES!!! :D
gk, congratulations :D
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:20 pm

and keep doing it :D
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

sarah.grace

Post by sarah.grace » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:26 pm

woo-hoo!! that is fantastic!
I can just see you 'flexing' your habit muscles.. :)
And now, the next time you're tempted by these things, you can say "well, I didn't give in last time, so I don't have to give in this time!"

congrats!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:39 pm

That's huge! Good work and congratulations!

Julie

gk

Post by gk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks to all for your replies!

I am amazed every day how supportive and caring everyone is here. It felt so great to read everyone's comments and know that you all know exactly how something as simple as that can be such an accomplishment.

Being a part of this board has helped me tremendously in this journey, and I'm grateful to be able to have this to come to for support.

Thank you!! :D

storm fox

Nice

Post by storm fox » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:31 pm

As others have said, this is actually a big deal, and especially your emotional reaction to turning down a bad habit. These "little" wins are actually huge in significance. It starts with one, and each time after that, the habit is strengthened and you gain more sovereignty over your bad habits.

Kevin

Re: Nice

Post by Kevin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Sovereignty over your bad habits... a well-turned phrase.
storm fox wrote:As others have said, this is actually a big deal, and especially your emotional reaction to turning down a bad habit. These "little" wins are actually huge in significance. It starts with one, and each time after that, the habit is strengthened and you gain more sovereignty over your bad habits.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:07 pm

GK, as a fellow midwesterner, I would just like to give you extra props for this success in the face of Culvers! For those of you who have never tried the deliciousness that is Culvers frozen custard and butter burgers, to be able to enter this restaurant on a weekday without going off of No-S, is an amazing feat! LOL
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

ImprisonedBeauty

Re: Wow....I actually did it!

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:41 pm

gk wrote:May not sound like much to some...
That sounds HUGE to me. Congratulations, gk, you have gone so far! You are an inspiration!! :)
Taking it one small step at a time.