New testimonial almost 2 years back with NoS :)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

New testimonial almost 2 years back with NoS :)

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi all, I actually joined NoS in 2005, and was a member of the original Yahoo Message Boards.. I lost almost 30 pounds by 2007, with probably only about 70 percent compliance in both diet and daily exercise.
After my Dad passed away in Spring of 2007 I became really depressed for a year or two and just threw all attempts at sticking to any eating plan or regular exercise, and launched myself into a very bad gaining trend.. By Spring of 2009 I had sadly gained back all I had previously lost, plus about an additional 30 lbs, and was at the highest weight of my entire life, weighing 260lbs at only 5 foot 2"inches tall.
In April 2009, I took a trip with my Son to go walk around on Bear Mountain. I was so fat and out of shape, I truly felt I might have a heart attack from trying to walk around and do a very minor amount of rock climbing and hiking. It was very frightening.. That day I decided to officially start doing NoS actively again.
So I returned in May of 2009, and I'm very happy to announce that over that time, of basically sticking to NoS rules fairly strictly, with maybe one or two very minor failures a week, I am now down 35 lbs since then, and now weigh 225! :D
At this point NoS is truly a part of both me and my Son's lives, and so long as I continue to track my habits actively, it has always led to success in weight loss. I don't know what my ultimate weight loss goal really will be, but I am happy with what I've accomplished so far. And I'm proud that I have stuck with it. Even though it has been slow, I knew I'd eventually lose weight on NoS, and have. I do hope I get down under 200 lbs within the next year or so.
I have been very sick for the past 7 months, but I am hoping that soon I will feel well enough to start doing daily exercise again. Even if only a bit of walking every day.
Although I have been very awol in posting on others threads in the past year, I do read them and I am thrilled to still be part of a great community of supportive and intelligent people who are proactively taking their health into their own hands.
Reinhard, Six years later, I still can't thank you enough for creating NoS and being a wonderful leader and role model, and good friend.

8) Debs xx
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:02 am

CONGRATULATIONS, Deb! That's fantastic news and very inspiring! I too am a bit of a lurker on these boards, not always having time to write but really enjoy reading everyone's posts. Posts like these in particular are very motivating and make me want to continue on My No S Journey.

I hope I can get some level of success this year. Unfortunately, since I originally started No S in 2009 and went off it - I have gained an unwanted extra 10 lbs. Have been following No S Vanilla style since mid December but haven't had any losses as yet. HOWEVER I am feeling much saner around food and it's great to not have food/diet anxiety hanging over my head. Just recently, I've been able to get outside to walk so I'm hoping that this will help with the weight loss. I'd be happy to see a couple of lbs (even though my ultimate ideal goal would be to lose 30 lbs) Anyway - enough about me... many congratulations once again and also to your very good looking son :oops: who has also done very well on the No S Plan.

Sorry to hear that you had both been ill... that sucks!!
and Hope you are both feeling better soon , Love Roxy xx

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:18 am

Hi Debs. Congrats on your efforts. Slow and steady, and I'm sure you'll get to where you ultimately want to be:)
5'6"
Re-started Jan 6/ 2012
Start / Current / Goal
173 /165 / 155

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:21 am

Thanks a lot Roxy!
The pic of me and my Son here is actually about four years old. This month he will be (gulp) 15 years old! He is even *more* handsome now! :wink:
I'll post a link in a moment to a pic of us from last Summer. I need to take some new ones soon as he's gotten much taller and much more slender since he's been doing regular exercise... he jogs and does push ups and planks. I'm really proud of him and so glad that he is taking good care of himself!
Good luck to you and stick with it! It works, but it does take time. And more importantly, it's really the best maintenance diet ever so it's worth going a little slow to know that as long as you stick with this way of eating, you won't gain back.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:21 am

Thank you Teemuh! :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 am

Here's a link to some pics of me and Richie..
The first is from October..Since then, we have both dropped at least ten more pounds, and he's grown about an inch taller, or maybe more :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 64&theater

and here he is with some friends from his track team in December :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 07&theater

and here is the most recent pic of me from the beginning of January.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 64&theater

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:02 am

Congratulations! Like you, I am getting to the point of being able to call myself a long-termer NoSer--I've been at it 2.5 years and am down 40 pounds and STILL losing with only about 5-10 pounds to go. :)

Slow and steady wins the race!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:02 am

Congratulations!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi Debs,
Congratulations! I was hoping you would turn up soon. I've missed you. I came back to NoS at the end of last year and it was great to hear some old voices here, but yours was one that was definitely missing.
Well done on the weight loss - and your son is growing into a lovely looking young man.
Fun
x

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Deb, Thanks for sharing your progress.Image
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

storm fox

Yes

Post by storm fox » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Deb, I'm glad you've been sticking to it, and I hope you reach your goal and maintain your habits effortlessly.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Dear Deb,

I'm so glad to hear this!

(and see this -- thanks for the pictures -- you both look great)

To bounce back like you did after such an ordeal is awe inspiring.

And I'd just like to say how grateful I am to you, after all these years of your thoughful, kind, helpful posting to these boards. You may have taken a little break the last year or so, but you still stopped by every now and then, and you're still, by a fair margin, the reigning champ in terms of total number of posts here (and that's not even counting the yahoo group stuff!). Mere number, of course, doesn't say the half of it. Every old-timer here, I'm sure, knows how to value the compassion, the heart, and the inspiring example you've brought to this group. I hope I do, at least.

Give my best to Ritchie (I feel like I'm his e-Uncle or something, I've practically watched him grow up on these boards :-)).

Peace and love and more soon,

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:08 am

Wonderful pictures!

How nice to see you back again! :) And I'm glad to hear things are going better for you.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:24 am

Hi again Debs! Thanks for your nice post...and also for posting the photos. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to look at them since it looks like you have to be on Fa&&cebook in order to view them (sorry - not sure if I'm "allowed" to post reference to other websites on here ). I'm sure they are very nice, and perhaps I'll get a chance to see them some other time! :)

Thanks also for your nice, reassuring words with regards to my weight. As mentioned, I really LOVE No S and can't help wishing I hadn't mucked things up by going off it in the first place. I also can't help but think back rather ruefully I might add - when i weighed 160 lbs and kept telling myself if only I could lose x amount of lbs, i'd be happy etc. etc. NOW I'm saying the same thing, except its I;d give anything to be 160 again, even 165 at this stage! I know guys, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm on a downer... actually, believe it or not, I'm quite upbeat overall and try my best not to let these thoughts get to me too much. I guess it's only natural to think of it as "S*ods Law" but it sure won't get me anywhere to dwell on it. Another thing: sooo excited that I have my two S Days coming up! Yipeee!!! No S is THE happiest meal plan I have ever been on! Anyway - here's to all for another successful No S Weekend and Week ahead. Take care! Love from Roxy xxxxxxxx

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:27 am

Thank you all very much :)
8) Debs x