Americans Are Now Fat Enough to Require Larger Ambulances

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Anoulie

Americans Are Now Fat Enough to Require Larger Ambulances

Post by Anoulie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:16 pm

This is so sad.

"Americans have gotten so fat that many cities are having to build bigger ambulances.

EMS Captain Jose A. Archila probably summarized the situation best when he said, “With a 300-pound patient, it’s not too bad, or even 400 pounds...but to be honest with you, with a 500-, 600-, 700-pound patient — it’s just too much for you.†His hometown of Boston was one of the first to take action in providing for its heftier passengers, spending $12,000 per bulked-up ambulance. They also are purchasing $8,000 stretchers that can support up to 850 pounds!

Fort Worth, TX is doing the same, spending $7,000 per ambulance modification and upping their stretcher capacity to 650 pounds because the 500-pound models were not enough. The only trouble with these precautions is that emergency medical personnel still have to bear the weight. One Worcester, MA paramedic even had to miss a month of work because he dislocated two vertebrae trying to carry a 400-pound woman!"

http://www.good.is/post/americans-are-n ... mbulances/
There's only us, there's only this
Forget regret, or life is yours to miss.
No other road, no other way,
No day but today.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:09 pm

That's certainly a reminder of how large we're getting.

I can remember two specific patients from my nursing career: One was a man who was so large that they had to bolt two beds together for him. The other was a woman and when we changed her bed, we actually changed beds. It took about 10 of us to lift her from one bed to the other. She eventually had a cardiac arrest while in the bathroom and died. The staff couldn't get her out of the bathroom to work on her.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Somewhere inside of me the smart mouth wants to pop off with something witty.

But, in reality, this is heart breaking for many, and in many ways. I remember the movie "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" and the woman who plays Johnny Depp's and Leonardo DiCapprio's mother in the show dies. The coroner tells them they are going to have to get a crane and lift her out of the second story. So, Johnny Depp burns the house down instead.
Last edited by Over43 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Image Johnny Dep as Gilbert Grape. I remember that film well.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

gk

Post by gk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:55 pm

wosnes wrote:The other was a woman and when we changed her bed, we actually changed beds. It took about 10 of us to lift her from one bed to the other. She eventually had a cardiac arrest while in the bathroom and died. The staff couldn't get her out of the bathroom to work on her.
Wow.......that is so very sad.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Yes, I saw in the newspaper the other day too ... a story about CASKETS being larger now. They need bigger caskets because overweight people don't fit in the regular ones. The manufacturers were happy about that, charging more for the larger caskets of course.

Marc ;-(

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 202 Pounds