Just ask WHY?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

Just ask WHY?

Post by gk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 pm

My son is always asking, "WHY?" and won't take "just because" as an answer. He just keeps asking "why?", "why is it like that?", "yeah, but WHY?" until he is satisfied with the answer.

I've started using his persistent approach to my persistent need for sweets. Whenever it hits, I ask myself "WHY?". "Why do I want this?", "Why do I have to have this right now?", Why can't I do ______ instead?", Why can't this wait for an S Day?". Ask enough "why" questions and suddenly the validity of eating something that will mess up my diet doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore.

I've really come to embrace the concept of stopping and asking WHY I'm hungry (or not really so hungry after all) and then finding an alternative for that situation (browse the forum, throw myself into a project, exercise, read a health magazine, etc.)

Sometimes some of the simplest things can help. It's really all in how you look at it.

(I guess I should note that originally I got the idea of asking why from a book I LOVE from Bob Greene called "The Life You Want". Helped me out SO much. I've read before that you should stop and ask "why" when you're hungry and try alternative things, but I've never had much luck with that in the past. Then, I started using my son's persistent approach and didn't let myself get by with "I just WANT TO!" That's not a good enough answer for me anymore.)
Last edited by gk on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin

Re: Just ask WHY?

Post by Kevin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:53 pm

Excellent. I'm going to use that.
gk wrote:My son is always asking, "WHY?" and won't take "just because" as an answer. He just keeps asking "why?", "why is it like that?", "yeah, but WHY?" until he is satisfied with the answer.

I've started using his persistent approach to my persistent need for sweets. Whenever it hits, I ask myself "WHY?". "Why do I want this?", "Why do I have to have this right now?", Why can't I do ______ instead?", Why can't this wait for an S Day?". Ask enough "why" questions and suddenly the validity of eating something that will mess up my diet doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore.

I've really come to embrace the concept of stopping and asking WHY I'm hungry (or not really so hungry after all) and then finding an alternative for that situation (browse the forum, throw myself into a project, exercise, read a health magazine, etc.)

Sometimes some of the simplest things can help. It's really all in how you look at it.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Looks like a good idea. Image
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:02 pm

That's a great idea!! Thanks for sharing this! :)

I'm a lady of reason, so showing myself a lack of reason might actually work well for me. I have always liked asking 'Why?' too. The hardest part will be getting myself to stop and think instead of thoughtlessly making a beeline for that sweet snack or waging a war with myself over it! :lol:
Taking it one small step at a time.