No S is good for stress eaters and boredom eaters

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nicest of the Damned

No S is good for stress eaters and boredom eaters

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm a stress eater and a boredom eater. When I am stressed or bored, I feel something that, to me, feels an awful lot like hunger.

No S is a good diet for this, because it doesn't require me to tell genuine hunger from other feelings. I eat at meal times and not at other times, regardless of whether or not I'm feeling hungry (not being hungry at meal times is almost never a problem for me).

Anyone else here a stress eater or boredom eater?

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Me! I agree with you completely. Monday through Friday it doesn't matter how stressed or bored I get - it's 3 meals per day and no sweets.

And additionally I've found that since starting NoS I've gotten better at distinguishing between emotional hunger and True hunger on S days. I'm sure I still sometimes eat with my feelings on weekends, but not nearly as much as before. And since its *only* on weekends, its a ginormous change from pre-NoS.

Not only has this change helped the waistline and the number on the scale, but it has also drastically improved my relationship with food. I no longer feel like I'm powerless.
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:14 pm

I've been knitting a lot more lately and I find that when I'm engrossed with that, hunger doesn't bother me. In fact, I've knitted through a couple of meals -- I just didn't want to stop. "Just one more row" becomes a lot more rows.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ImprisonedBeauty

Post by ImprisonedBeauty » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:23 pm

*raises hand* I am most definitely one of those types. Stress, boredom, strong emotions, thinking too much... you name it, my solution to it would be eating something sweet. I was snacking all of the time.
I couldn't just limit my portions or go for healthier snacks... I needed the structure of this plan and the accountability/support of this forum to make me stop. I have found that it takes less effort and gives less stress to eat nothing than to eat just one. Now, I feel my sweet cravings weakening, my constant hunger lessening, and my ability to eat everything in sight and still want more diminishing. I am starting to eat like a normal person again, and it feels good. :)
Taking it one small step at a time.

Becoming

Post by Becoming » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:04 pm

This is a little psychoanalytical, but I (used to!) eat, rather than 'feel my feelings'. It's a trauma response strategy that I learned when I was young, and I carried the behaviour through to my adult years. Some people use drugs, I use (used!) food. I have had to 'learn to be uncomfortable', that I can co-exist with even the most negative of my feelings, I don't have to distract myself from them with food. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but for me, this is why I (used to!) eat when I am (was!) stressed or bored. Understanding this has been the key to me to start dealing with my disordered relationship with food.

No-S has been the only method that has allowed me the space to manage my relationship with food in a healthy, non-obsessive way.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:07 am

Right here, front and center.

I (used to) eat when bored/stressed/tired/procrastinating or simply unable to figure out what to do next.

After being on No-S a few years, I've taken up new hobbies, learned better stress-management strategies, sleep more, and make better decisions on how to spend my time. (Mostly... I use this board to procrastinate at times. ;) But the percentage is much lower.)

A coincidence? Maybe. But I'm willing to credit No-S. Once you stop masking all that stuff with food, you naturally start finding better options...

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:19 pm

I have never been a stress eater. When stressed or really upset I tend not to eat. However I am very much a bored eater. I got into the habit of getting a muffin or a bagel in the morning when I go to get coffee at the campus market. The fact that I eat breakfast at 6:30 and lunch at 1:30 meant that I felt a bit hungry by 10:00 - sometimes I still do - but it passes. However mostly I just felt like having one - made the long and sometimes boring morning go by easier. When I am at home alone I tend to graze a bit - it never seems like too much because it is always a little at a time - but it adds up.

The other thing I am is a convivial eater. I eat more in company. That is one of the reasons I don't go out to eat lunch with coworkers. I can easily manage just a yogurt and fruit at my desk, but surrounded by people eating french fries, plates of pasta, enormous sandwiches served with chips, hamburgers, pizza etc., it is much much harder. I feel sort of mean. I also eat more at home when I am eating with my family. It prolongs the meal and the conversation. Sweets after dinner keep it up as well

So No S helps in both these regards. Snacks are out so boredom eating is out. And one plate means that at night with my family I don't overdo the conviviality business. I like the fact that wine is allowed with No S as I can happily linger over a glass in a way that I cannot over a plate. No dessert means that tea can be used to prolong the conviviality as well.

It gives me a structure I can work within.

Graham

Post by Graham » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Absolutely identify with this. I've been eating to control my mood for years. Then I got smart and grown-up and switched to cigarettes :?

No S brought up a lot of feelings especially when I started. More feelings got dredged up when I started experimenting with low-carb - removing a lot of comfort foods. It isn't easy learning to be with feelings I spent a lifetime avoiding, I think I'm rather underdeveloped emotionally because of it. Still, better late than never 8)

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:25 am

Raises hand to both! And Becoming, I know exactly what you are saying, and have been learning to feel my feelings bit by bit (as opposed to swallowing them down with chocolate). :)
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:52 am

I know that it is useful to many people to "feel their feelings" instead of masking them. Not running that down. But, I actually hadda go through some pretty expensive and painful therapy to STOP focusing on my feelings so damn much.

Funny ole world, innit?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

bettyB

Post by bettyB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:38 am

I completely agree. Whether i'm bored, sad, happy, procrastinating, stressed, lonely, upset, my natural response is to eat!

this site is very helpful - when I feel that feeling (not hunger, but a longing to graze or snack) I come on here and look at some of the discussions and success stories.

ruxpin55

Post by ruxpin55 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 pm

I feel the same way as a lot of you. I feel blessed to have found, not only the diet, but this forum of others that struggle with this same thing. I find that having a structure helps me avert my eyes to more important things in my life, like family and studying. I also am incorporating this diet into a bible study that includes fasting, and I am really learning a lot about myself and my addiction and lack of satisfaction with overeating. thanks for writing this, you have allowed me to see how similar I am to your experience!

mime

Post by mime » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Count me in as a stressed, bored, sad, happy eater. I use food to deal with everything. My first day back on No S diet really brought this to home, it was such a hard day, I realized I constantly reach for food. I had to keep catching myself and did resort to chewing sugarless gum to get me through. It happened really fast, but after a day I felt programmed, and was at ease waiting for mealtime. I then really began to enjoy my meals, probably like normal eaters do. Before, when dinner came, I wasn't really even that hungry, but ate to be with my family. Now dinner is so much more enjoyable.

I am worried I will lose this contentment, you know when I used to diet, there was a dieters high at first, and then life happens. The weekends worry me, that I will lose this great habit. I forced myself to have deserts on the weekend, because I don't want to one day go crazy and binge, I think you really need the weekend to give your metabolism a change of diet and taste. Luckily the past Mondays, I was ready to No S again.

I've read a lot of mindful books on eating, they help, but I need more concrete guidelines to help me ... but not too rigid. I don't think I could ever count a calorie or fat gram again!
Mime