Question about home fried potatos

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mrandy1

Question about home fried potatos

Post by Mrandy1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:45 pm

So this is day 6 for me--so it's all new.

I'm at my regular morning diner and I ordered
Scrambled eggs, home fried potatoes, whole wheat toast
It all fits on one plate. It doesn't look excessive to my eye. Yet I felt guilty today finishing the potatoes. Should I feel guilty?

I'm trying to do NO-S by the book, so if the 1 plate consists of something that I consider fattening- should I worry about it? (of course I could have ordered without potatoes, but I figured it's 1 plate so it's allowed...then I felt guilty so ate about half of the potatoes.

Anyway --any thoughts on this issue---the issue of ordering something that you consider "fattening" but allowing it bc it fits on 1 plate.

Andy
Mrandy1

Starting weight 3/20/2011: 176
Weight as of 4/23/2011. 169.8
Weight as of 5/5/2011. 169.5
goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Ah, you've discovered one of the joys of No S. There are no forbidden foods! Now, does that mean calories don't count? Of course not; you can't fill your plates with high-calorie food every day and expect to lose weight. But fried potatoes (and any other non-sweet) are a perfectly acceptable part of the No S diet.

The only foods I've eliminated in a year and a half of No S are foods I don't like.

It sounds like you are doing well!

Mrandy1

Post by Mrandy1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks!

I don't even feel like I'm being deprived---and I like the feeling on an s day getting closer and closer as the week progresses.

The biggest change has been giving up the snacking that always do--(pretzels, nuts, cookies --and it's just impossible to keep track of that sort of stuff)..plus having seconds or thirds and of course finishing what's on my kids plates ---"hey dad do u want the rest of this?". And my answer was always yes!!

Anyway I'm enjoying the simple brilliance of this system! One immediate objective, as I posted elsewhere, is to stop weighing myself each morning and just let the no s method do it's job.
Mrandy1

goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

Mrandy1

Post by Mrandy1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks!

I don't even feel like I'm being deprived---and I like the feeling on an s day getting closer and closer as the week progresses.

The biggest change has been giving up the snacking that always do--(pretzels, nuts, cookies --and it's just impossible to keep track of that sort of stuff)..plus having seconds or thirds and of course finishing what's on my kids plates ---"hey dad do u want the rest of this?". And my answer was always yes!!

Anyway I'm enjoying the simple brilliance of this system! One immediate objective, as I posted elsewhere, is to stop weighing myself each morning and just let the no s method do it's job.
Mrandy1

goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:21 pm

No, you shouldn't feel guilty about eating fried potatoes.

But, you also shouldn't feel obligated to finish the food on your plate, if you decide you don't want it all.

Cleaning your plate may have been a good idea when food was scarce and expensive (think WWII), but food is not scarce or expensive now in developed countries. In the US, spending on food as a percentage of income is at or near historic lows, according to the USDA. Medical care is expensive, and, if you habitually eat more than you should, you will need more medical care. Eating too much so that you "don't waste food" is a foolish economy in a developed country now, kind of like leaving the door to your house open all winter to save wear and tear on the hinges, while ignoring the increase in your heating bills.

NoelFigart

Re: Question about home fried potatos

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Mrandy1 wrote:It doesn't look excessive to my eye. Yet I felt guilty today finishing the potatoes. Should I feel guilty?
Nope.

That said...

I do eat pizza, french fries, and various other "fattening" dishes. What I don't necessarily do is eat them every DAY. It's that moderation thing going on.

The way I do this is to make a specific effort to throw fruits and vegetables into my meals.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:57 pm

I find myself agreeing with Noel always.
NoelFigart wrote:
Mrandy1 wrote:It doesn't look excessive to my eye. Yet I felt guilty today finishing the potatoes. Should I feel guilty?
Nope.

That said...

I do eat pizza, french fries, and various other "fattening" dishes. What I don't necessarily do is eat them every DAY. It's that moderation thing going on.

The way I do this is to make a specific effort to throw fruits and vegetables into my meals.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Kevin wrote:I find myself agreeing with Noel always.
I'd have expected, given your signature, that's you'd agree with her *sometimes*. :)

But yes, heed the words of Noel!

EDIT: To add a few more words: the standard advice (and it's standard for a reason, since it's pretty good) is to focus on getting the three-meals-a-day structure firmly under control before you start to worry about what you're eating at those meals. Big picture, it's *much* more important for you to learn to eat three meals a day than it is to fuss over whether there are fried potatoes in a meal. Later on, when three meals a day is a habit that takes no effort to maintain, you might start wanting to tinker with the content of the meals. But if giving yourself a bit of free rein is helpful in getting the three meals habit established, that's worth it, in the long run.

Mrandy1

quick technical question

Post by Mrandy1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:35 pm

i advertaintly posted the same reply twice---is there anyway to delete a post?
Mrandy1

goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Say no to guilt Randy. IF it fits on one plate, it fits on one plate.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

DaveMc

Re: quick technical question

Post by DaveMc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Mrandy1 wrote:i advertaintly posted the same reply twice---is there anyway to delete a post?
I don't think so, but fear not, this doesn't count as seconds.

wosnes

Re: quick technical question

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Mrandy1 wrote:i advertaintly posted the same reply twice---is there anyway to delete a post?
If you wrote the post, when you view it there should be 3 boxes in the upper right hand corner. One says "quote," one says "edit," and one is an "x". The "x' will delete the post.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:24 pm

Ditto the no guilt, esp. on day 6.
Actually, guilt might never be what you want to incite, but after 6 months of 3 meals a day and no weight loss, you might at least consider how dense your foods are and how full you need to be, if becoming a moderate eater is your goal.

It's just very hard for me to imagine that the people who have remained on the boards and had weight gain though following the rules weren't to some degree either getting pretty darn full or rarely getting hungry or both. From the beginning, out of preference, I've been eating about a third of the volume of my N day food in veggies and fruits. I get full and stay satisfied so well that if I think I was eating the same volume of dense food on a plate that I would be uncomfortable a lot of the time or just rarely hungry. As time has gone on, even half of my lunch has been enough on some days.

So eat what looks and feels good and remember you aren't on a diet. And know that you can adjust as you discover your new self.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Mrandy1

Thank You!!

Post by Mrandy1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks to all of you---today was a success and your replies to my post were incredibly helpful!! thanks again!
Mrandy1

goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs