in between caloric beverages

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ruxpin55

in between caloric beverages

Post by ruxpin55 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:03 am

my question is simply this; I obviously know that no soft drinks during No S times (which, by the way, bleh!) but I was curious about smoothies and the like... I mean I can understand that in between meals a smoothie is probably a no-no, but I was curious about drinkable yogurts, or more specifically Kefir (if anyone is familiar with this) to give a tiny background, kefir is a cultured milk similar to a buttermilk, so it's got a lot of good nutrients because it is enriched with great bacterias, and is gentle on the stomach for those of us who have a dairy sensitivity... the thing is, that I rather like adding a bit of sweetness to make it a little more palatable (it tastes tart like plain yogurt, I look at this the same as I would if I added sugar to my coffee, I don't go overboard, but just a smidge) and the thing is that all that goes in it is milk and a starter of bacteria... would this be on the "good" list or the.. "wait till lunch"-list?
Jamie
--------------------
God is most glorified in me, when I am most satisfied in Him.
"Why do you spend your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance.
(Isaiah 55:2)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 am

I'd say that is skirting the edge, myself, but I also think that if it's contained somehow, it's still better than breaking the no food between meals rule.

Then again, I had a glass of wine about an hour before dinner this evening because my husband was coming home from work late and I was starving! I'm not sure that's really better, even if I don't break Glass Ceiling. So, mebbe my opinion shouldn't count for much here.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

ruxpin55

Post by ruxpin55 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:47 am

hehee.. Noel, you're funny. I like you! well, I was just asking because if milk is okay, what would be wrong with cultured (incredibly good-for-you) milk? (and if it is more palatable by adding a dash of sugar, how would it be much different than adding some to coffee?..)

*shrug* I don't mind waiting until S-days to have it in a full-fledged smoothie, or as breakfast, just curious about what your thoughts were.
Jamie
--------------------
"Why do you spend your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:01 am

I don't think it's a problem -- even with some sugar added.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:17 am

I drink milk between meals (although skimmed) and fruit juice, which is probably fairly calorific and full of sugar. I also drink diet sodas sometimes, and FULL FAT! soda very occasionally.

At the moment I'm building the basic NoS habits, so as long as I'm not drinking giant ice cream milkshakes that could count as a dessert, I'm not worrying too much :) I am trying not to drink soda at all, definitely have cut down a lot (I think I've had one small can of calorific soda in the 10 days I've been doing this).

It sounds like a low calorie milky drink isn't going to do enormous harm between meals... especially if it helps you to avoid food-snacks!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 am

Drinkable yogurts and such feel too "snacky" to me. I mostly stick to unsweeetened teas. When my stomach is grumbling, I have a glass of milk, strong Earl Grey tea with lots of lemon juice and a teaspoon of sugar or (rarely) a small cup of hot chocolate.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:25 pm

We live in a culture where drinkable yogurt (all kinds of yogurt, actually) are the norm, so your choice to drink it doesn't seem the least bit "snacky" to me. However, I think there are two possible issues to address in your post: 1. Is drinking "drinkable" yogurt between meals a good idea, and 2. Can sweetener be added to said yogurt.

Here are my thoughts:

1. I think drinkable plain yogurt is perfectly NoS compatible just as milk or juice are.

2. Just like milk and/or juice, I think you ought to SAVE drinking such yogurt for those times when you might otherwise reach for a snack. In other words, drinking yogurt is NOT the same as drinking coffee, tea, or water. It is not really thirst-quenching but hunger-quenching so save it for just those situations.

Coffee and tea may not be particularly thirst-quenching either (though they do have that "ritualistic" aspect Reinhard talks about in his book), but they are definitely not nearly as caloric as yogurt and can better satisfy the desire to be drinking something, or preparing something, or taking the edge of hunger, or any of the other many ways coffee and tea fulfill our needs.

3. Adding a *small* spoon or two of sugar to yogurt is OK on NoS, especially as you are going to be drinking very limited quantities (if you follow point 2 above).

HTH,

Vicki
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

ruxpin55

Post by ruxpin55 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:43 pm

thanks guys!

I suppose I should add that I am still nursing my 10 month old baby, so I was trying to keep up with some calories while still getting nutrition and still trying to stick within the guidelines. (She is nursing about 3-4 times a day) and if it's something as good as Kefir (which is made, by me, with 1% milk) then I figured it's actually just like drinking milk, but adding a touch of sweetness to take away the tart taste that is present in it (I would use honey, but mine is crystallized :-( stupid "deal"...)

thanks for the thoughts on the issue!
Jamie
--------------------

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:05 pm

I guess my prejudice stems from the fact that yogurt (especially cherry flavored, with big fat chunks of fruit) is a bordeline S to me. Given that you (presumably) don't have any problems with consuming sensible amounts of it and feeling satisfied, I say: go ahead and have some when you need it.

sarah.grace

Post by sarah.grace » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:08 pm

---Crystallized honey can usually be un-crystallized by warming it in the microwave or in a pan of water on the stove. If it's in a plastic container, be careful not to melt it! :P I keep my honey in glass mason jars.

We used to keep bees on our farm for a neighbor, and he'd give us gallons of his honey as 'payment.' We would scoop it out of the bucket-crystallized-with an ice cream scoop, then microwave back to normal.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:36 pm

kefir is great.. if you're nursing you need additional calcium so just go for it.
if you use the non sweetened kind, you might want to try adding a packet of stevia to it. no calories and it tastes pretty good in kefir.
i also add kefir to hot soups sometimes, if they are something like tomato or lentil soup.. it gives it a sour cream taste :)

good luck :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

ruxpin55

Post by ruxpin55 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 pm

thanks Grateful! I am starting to enjoy kefir a lot more, as a friend gave me some kefir grains. I have been making it daily for a few weeks and my how the grains have multiplied!! I just need to think of ways to use it, so your suggestions of using it in soup are great ways to use it, I have found using it in pancakes and recipes that call for buttermilk are a great way to use it too..

thanks to everyone who had something to add!
Jamie
--------------------

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:19 pm

you're welcome :)
i'd like to get some grains and start making my own as well.. i made a small batch once using a small amount of store bought kefir and added it to some whole organic milk once, but it wasn't very cultured, or sour.. just a little thicker next day.. tasted good tho. what milk do you use? skim?
enjoy nursing your child, that was one of the nicest times of my life with my own son and i did it for about 18 months.
have fun with NoS :)
8) debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness