just not doing anything?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

just not doing anything?

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm

I've been not exercising (at all) for a quite a while thinking that the Leslie Sansone DVD miles weren't really doing anything and that they were too easy. They seemed way easy a few months ago when I had been doing them every day. So, today I go do one supposedly measly mile and my muscles were seriously aching, I was short of breath, and tired when done!

Well, duh. :roll: I guess they were doing something. I should have just been glad that it felt easy because I was way more in shape!

Any similar experiences?
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Yes.

I got back into swimming a couple of weeks ago, thinking it really wasn't going to do all that much for my legs. Well, my legs were sore the first week, so clearly swimming was doing more than I thought.

Does anyone else get irritated with the people who say, "Oh work out and you'll be so ENERGIZED!"? If you go from nothing, chances are good you'll be TIRED first, then energized after a few weeks. Would it be so hard to tell the truth about that?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Yep, I can relate-I was doing a lot of smaller workouts (I seem to think If I don't do at least 45 minutes of whatever then I haven't done a "real" workout), and then slacked off for several months. When I recently started up again-aaagh! Pain. And of course very out of breath! :x

If only I could be consistent I could save myself a lot of misery and muscle ache :roll:

I agree about the energy increase time lapse, too, LOL. Definitely takes a good two weeks for me to feel "energetic" again!
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

ruxpin55

Post by ruxpin55 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 am

totally agree about the whole "you'll feel energized" I thought I was all alone wondering where that pink-drumming rabbit was for me ;-) so, good to know, don't give up, keep it up and when it hurts it means it's working! (I have been doing the 30-day shred by Jillian michaels (biggest loser girl) and I have to say that work-out kicks my butt!)

hope you enjoy your new-found fun with your exercise video!
Jamie
--------------------
God is most glorified in me, when I am most satisfied in Him.
"Why do you spend your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance.
(Isaiah 55:2)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:39 am

ruxpin55 wrote: don't give up, keep it up and when it hurts it means it's working! (I have been doing the 30-day shred by Jillian michaels (biggest loser girl) and I have to say that work-out kicks my butt!)

Good Lord'n butter, woman, don't put words in my mouth. NO NO NO, don't keep up when it hurts!

I was discussing fatigue.

Heh... and I think the title of That Show really should be reserved for its producers.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 pm

While we're on (or somewhere near) the subject, let me recommend Noel's post on sustainable fitness, here:

http://noelfigart.com/blog/2011/03/28/l ... e-maximum/

Much like with weight loss, it seems to me that long-term sustainability gets too little attention when discussing exercise programs. People say, "Wow, [program X] [or possibly program P90X] *really works*!" And I tend to think, "Well, yeah, of course it works, if you do it intensely and regularly."

The thing is, (almost) *everything* works, if you do it a lot. And during your first burst of enthusiasm for a new regimen, you may do just that. But what I don't hear discussed is how many people are still with [program X] a year or two later, and what their fitness level is like at that point. Just like with weight control, maintenance is really the hard long-term issue, so it's worth paying some attention to what you can realistically keep up over the long haul.

ruxpin55

Post by ruxpin55 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:51 pm

I have to say I have actually never watched "biggest loser" but I have seen the before and afters... Noel: sorry for thinking you were speaking to something else. I read your article, good stuff! Thanks for it. the one you posted and the one that was posted in the following post.

I like to be reminded of the long haul what you are going to do years from now... it's hard for me, having little ones, and trying to orchestrate naps and such... I don't have a sledge hammer ;-) but if I can find one, I suppose I could do the shove glove thingy--- I am a little apprehensive, maybe that's better for men? or are their a lot of women who find success with that??
Jamie
--------------------
"Why do you spend your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 pm

DaveMc wrote:The thing is, (almost) *everything* works, if you do it a lot.
And during your first burst of enthusiasm for a new regimen, you may do just that.
But what I don't hear discussed is how many people are still with [program X]
a year or two later, and what their fitness level is like at that point.
Just like with weight control, maintenance is really the hard long-term issue, s
o it's worth paying some attention to what you can realistically keep up over the long haul.
Very Wise Words.Image
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:51 pm

ruxpin55 wrote:I have to say I have actually never watched "biggest loser" but I have seen the before and afters... Noel: sorry for thinking you were speaking to something else. I read your article, good stuff! Thanks for it. the one you posted and the one that was posted in the following post.

I like to be reminded of the long haul what you are going to do years from now... it's hard for me, having little ones, and trying to orchestrate naps and such... I don't have a sledge hammer ;-) but if I can find one, I suppose I could do the shove glove thingy--- I am a little apprehensive, maybe that's better for men? or are their a lot of women who find success with that??
There are women who do it, and it does work for them.

Like many others, I have adapted the core idea to "15 minutes of anything" (okay, R does 14, but I work comfortably with blocks of 15 minutes). I do yoga, Pilates, or an exercise video. When I get bored with one thing, I do another...sometimes I go through "fads" with a new workout, and then incorporate it into the general "toolbox" when I tire of it.

I also take exercise classes, which some people don't like but I do - keeps me from getting lazy and I learn from them. But the "15 minutes of anything" is my "minimum" and fall-back.

And if I'd had that concept when my kid was little, it would have helped me a lot to mentally organize my exercise that way. As it is, that's when I realized I had to be flexible, and what worked last month wouldn't work this month... but as long as I was doing something, it was all good.

ruxpin55

Post by ruxpin55 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:05 pm

KCCC: thanks. I was starting to feel like I wasn't right by doing the exercise video that I chose... and by that, I mean if I do flake out (which is altogether possible) I just want to be moving, and with the horrible weather, I have to stay inside, it's what I have, and I am amazed at how much stronger I am feeling--- so I am going with it for now, because something is better than nothing. I would run up and down my stairs... but I'm pretty sure the family would think I fell off my rocker ;-) I also have some pilates, but for now, I was really encouraged to feel the strength come back to me!
Jamie
--------------------

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:18 am

In regards to not having a sledgehammer, I have some free weights around from previous lifetimes which I use-when I am doing resistance work at all-- instead of buying a sledgehammer. I think the point of the hammer was to avoid investing in a bunch of exercise equipment, but if you've got something, expediency is key. Free weights don't have quite the same effect, but it's not rocket science. I also don't have Reinhard's restrictions on what constitutes dignified movement, so throwing in some traditional resistance moves works for me.

I was huffing and puffing just walking to the end of my long uphill DRIVEWAY last week. Yes, consistent even low-level doing something has an effect--as does doing nothing.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

linda45

Post by linda45 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:21 pm

I just dance around the room to country western or jukebox oldies. I was a total couch potato. I'm now amazed that movement & even a little sweat from time to time feels good.

The Doing It My Weigh Grandma
Linda f
Calgary AB Canada
Linda F.
Calgary AB