A Polish fan of the No S diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

yuka

A Polish fan of the No S diet

Post by yuka » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi!
I was very happy to discover the no s diet - I found the book on amazon, read the reviews and thought the no s diet was a great idea. After two pregnancies I became overweight and have difficulties with getting rid of the extra fat. So far I tried the low GI diet, and a ‘traditional’ diet written by a nutritionist but I was unable to keep any of these in the long term. Forgetting sweets and red wine for weeks or months seemed really impossible and cooking separate meals for me and my family or following a detailed plan of what to eat impractical. And what about parties? Watching everybody eat delicious food or drink beer or wine and resisting it all? No, thanks, not for me. What’s more, I’ve become a bit worried as it became a little bit like a roller-coaster for me – eating little, losing 4 kilos, and then eating a lot and getting it all back, and three or four times like this. The no s diet seems a perfect solution and to improve one's relationship with food. I started it on Monday and really enjoy it although limiting the meals to three is a little problem, as between breakfast and lunch I have a 5 hour break and it’s difficult. I get a little dizzy or tremble a little. Maybe it’s got something to do with the insulin level, although I don’t have diabetes. Maybe it just takes time, the body has to adjust. If not, I’ll have four meals, but I’d rather not to.
I’m waiting for my copy of the book I ordered from ebay, meanwhile I hope I’m doing everything more or less O.K. I am really greatful to Reinhard for inventing the no s diet and suggest the book should be translated to other languages for the folks who can’t speak English.
You write here and there about vanilla no s, is there a seperate thread about it somewhere here? I couldn’t find it.
Please forgive me my mistakes here and there, I’m sure there are some, as Im not a native English speaker.

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:18 am

Hi Yuka :)

'Vanilla NoS' refers to doing NoS exactly as it is designed - no sweets, no snacks, no seconds except sometimes on days that begin with S.

Some people design adaptations or mods to the NoS diet to suit them (for example taking their 'S' day on a different day than a Sat/Sun, or allowing a certain number of healthy snacks during a day). It's recommended that you try and follow it exactly as designed for 21 days to try and create the habit, and then see if you need to tweak it :)

If you find it hard to stick to one or more of the rules (for example no snacking) then I know some people try doing one 'S' at a time. So, you could do no sweets but allow seconds and snacks to start with, then after a week start the no seconds habit, then the third week start the no snacks habit. Can make an easier transition for some!

And as you say, there is nothing within NoS that dictates the amount of meals you can have, so if you need 4 meals at first then do what is right for you!

Good luck!

yoozer

Re: A Polish fan of the No S diet

Post by yoozer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:45 am

yuka wrote:Please forgive me my mistakes here and there, I’m sure there are some, as Im not a native English speaker.
Welcome! I just wanted to say that your English is excellent. Better than many native speakers. I wish I had that command of a second language.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:52 am

Hey, I'm Polish as well! :)

Witamy serdecznie! :D

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:43 pm

I agree that your English is excellent!

There's a FAQ thread somewhere that explains Vanilla No-S and such - will try to locate it and bump it up for you.

yuka

Post by yuka » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks for a warm welcome, everybody! Dziękuję za powitanie :D It's Friday evening, I've been quite successfully noessing so far this week, but my husband has just come back home with a bottle of red wine... Oh, dear me, what am I going to do? :?

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Enjoy the red wine. Wine is completely allowed on the NoS diet.

Congrats on a good first week!
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

yuka

Post by yuka » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Oh, thanks Sienna, your post made me feel better as I am sipping my red wine. However, to be honest, I shouldnforbid to myself, as it always, always,makes me immediately terribly hungry.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:55 pm

The wine may give you an urge to eat, but I doubt it's real hunger. One of the beauties of NO S is that it gets you to start distinguishing between real, empty-stomach hunger, and just urges to eat. It gets easier to resist the urges and they even subside more, too, though they can pop up sometimes.

If it's hard to go from breakfast to lunch, have a glass of milk halfway through. Or have a latte. Later, you might learn to skip it. You'll get to the point where 5 hours between meals is not bad at all.

Or, have more at breakfast. If you already have eggs, add toast. If all you have is cereal or toast, add eggs or something else with fat and protein.

Have fun! Just don't have dessert.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Welcome, yuka! My father's family came from Poznan many years ago. Dear old great grandpa didn't want to join the German army. I grew up in an area of the US with a high concentration of Poles; one of the churches still has a Polish mass every Sunday, and there were Polish programs on the radio.

Your English is excellent! I hope you enjoy No S.

yuka

Post by yuka » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks for your warm words again and it's nice to hear some of you have Polish connections. It's interesting what you say that it's a false hunger after wine, maybe it is, as after an alcohol in general some feelings and emotions are 'magnified' but I wonder if doesn't have anything to do with the isulin level (i.e. it gets high and then very low and you get very hungry, just like after sweets). On the other hand, coffee always stops my hunger, which is surprising as from what I've read, coffee actually raises the insulin level, too so logically, I should get hungry?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Who knows? More important just to know what happens with each of us and act accordingly. Even if a food makes us want a lot more food, just resisting the urge can help quell that desire in the future. So many people here who often overate many foods can typically eat moderate amounts of those foods now. Just takes practice. And some decide to forgo the food. Free to choose!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)