When is a plateau really a plateau?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SpiritSong

When is a plateau really a plateau?

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 pm

With a success today, I will gain membership into the 21 Day Club. Woo hoo!

I thought to myself, "Yea, I've earned a mod!"

And my next thought was, "Why do you need a mod if you are currently reaching your weight loss goals?" (2 lbs./month)

So I figure I shouldn't think about mods until I reach a plateau. Which leads to the question, "When is a plateau really a plateau?" If you don't lose any weight for a couple of weeks? A month? A couple of months? How do you tell the difference between (1) your body taking a break from weight loss, and (2) you needing to eat better and/or change up your exercise?

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:37 pm

That depends on what your goals are and how time sensitive they are.

My personal goal is less about weight loss (though like you about 2 lbs a month is about how fast I'm losing) and more about ingraining habit long-term. For that, I CAN'T do a mod, or I'll be screwing up. I'm trying to overcome a lifetime of heroic effort v. crashing and burning and being a slug.

If I'm still over 200 lbs in 2013, I'll consider a mod. I genuinely don't think that's gonna be the case if I really do stick to vanilla No-S and exercising 30 minutes every N day for two years.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

BrightAngel

Re: When is a plateau really a plateau?

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 pm

SpiritSong wrote:. Which leads to the question, "When is a plateau really a plateau?"
If you don't lose any weight for a couple of weeks? A month? A couple of months?
How do you tell the difference between
(1) your body taking a break from weight loss, and
(2) you needing to eat better and/or change up your exercise?
Interesting questions.
I believe the official answer of "experts" is

that a plateau is when you remain at the same weight for at least 5 to 6 weeks,
WHILE you are carefully monitering your food-intake...AND

EITHER
...are eating the same manner that you did when you last lost weight...
with your exercise staying the same...

OR
....are eating less and exercising more than you did when you last lost weight.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:45 am

Thank you, Bright Angel, for that definition. Very clear.

Spiritsong, you're doing fine. Way too early for a mod. Three weeks is a nice benchmark, but is really just the beginning. No need to be in any more of a hurry.

Wanting to be done and have it all figured out yesterday is one of the problems with successful habit modifying. The changes will continue to evolve.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Re: When is a plateau really a plateau?

Post by wosnes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:33 am

BrightAngel wrote:
SpiritSong wrote:. Which leads to the question, "When is a plateau really a plateau?"
If you don't lose any weight for a couple of weeks? A month? A couple of months?
How do you tell the difference between
(1) your body taking a break from weight loss, and
(2) you needing to eat better and/or change up your exercise?
Interesting questions.
I believe the official answer of "experts" is

that a plateau is when you remain at the same weight for at least 5 to 6 weeks,
WHILE you are carefully monitering your food-intake...AND

EITHER
...are eating the same manner that you did when you last lost weight...
with your exercise staying the same...

OR
....are eating less and exercising more than you did when you last lost weight.
On the other hand...that definition is probably correct for any program where you should see a weight loss of 1-2 pounds weekly. Given that weight loss is generally slower on No-S, maybe it should be 2-3 months without weight loss. I know it sounds like an extremely long time, but I think it's reasonable for this plan.

Then you have to look at how close you are to your goal weight. First, the closer you are to your goal, the slower the weight tends to come off. Second, you have to look at whether the number you're aiming for is realistic. You might be able to reach it, but it might take modifications that make No-S a real "DIET." Is that something you can maintain for life?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:00 pm

I was thinking of something.

I don't know that this is so, but it's looking like it. Would anyone agree with me that on No-S a 10% of one's body weight a year is a reasonable expectation, or would one say that is at the slow end?
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:30 pm

NoelFigart wrote:I was thinking of something.

I don't know that this is so, but it's looking like it. Would anyone agree with me that on No-S a 10% of one's body weight a year is a reasonable expectation, or would one say that is at the slow end?
Since I am just starting I don't know how fast or slow No S will work but I do think that 10% per year is very slow. For me that's like 1.3 pounds per months. But it is better than gaining 1.3 pounds per month.
Starting Stats: April 15, 2011 ~ 35 yrs old ~ 5'2~ 165lbs ~ size 12/14

Goals
1. size 6/8
2. to wake up and go through my day without obsessing about food or weight

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:32 pm

It might be a little on the slow end, but I think it's reasonable. Although, at one point in time my doctor told me that he'd be happy with 10-12 pounds yearly. In addition, in terms of health, it's the first 5-10 pounds that make the most difference and the last 5-10 pounds makes little difference.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:39 pm

I'd say the heavier someone is when s/he starts, the slower that is. I'd say heavier individuals have a better chance of having more dramatic changes, though not necessarily. I've been surprised that some people here have only about 10 pounds they want to lose, and they do it in a month or two! I just know that if I had actually stuck to Vanilla No S 95%, of the time being really honest about what was moderate and had tamed my S days last year, I would have lost a lot more than the 8% I did. However, I have maintained with some ups and downs for about a year and things are starting downwards again.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)