Feeling like quitting

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Feeling like quitting

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm feeling grouchy today and feeling like I want to be able to snack whenever I want rather than do No-S.

No, I'm not quitting today. Just saying I'm feeling a bit childish. I'm calling this an extinction burst and moving on with my day.

Who originally posted that article? Whoever it was, I'm still grateful, as it's a good tool to keep myself focused on desirable habits in the face of momentary peevishness.

I know that for me, a few months on No-S is simply not going to be enough to get my habits properly in order. I have years of dieting and disordered eating as a habit, and to counteract that is going to take years of good habits. I haven't even finished a whole year yet!
Last edited by NoelFigart on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:57 pm

I've been feeling crabby lately, too. I usually do, around the end of Passover. I'm sick of matzo and my brain chemicals are out of balance from a week of lower-carb dieting.

It will be a year for me in May, and I still get the "I don't wanna"s sometimes when I go from S days back to N days.

Of course, I've been working and going to school since I was 5, over thirty years, and I've never allowed myself to stay home (or been allowed to do so by my mom, when I was little) just because I didn't want to or didn't feel like going to school or work. And yet, my first thought when I woke up this morning was, "I really don't want to get up and go to work". Those thoughts have never been successful, but they still happen. Sometimes you might have to just do it, and not worry about whether you want to do it or not. Just because you don't want to do something, or don't like doing it, doesn't mean you can't choose to do it anyway.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:35 pm

That is what is so great about being human, we can waffle on just about anyting. :lol: I gave all of my "diet books" away, all of them. Last week I was on Amazon and rebought "The No S Diet" book...again.

It is what we do. No other species can afford attention deficit issues due to extermination. But we humans can, and we practice it in all areas of our lives, particularly right now in the area of our eating habits.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:22 pm

As an adult, I totally reserve the right to say 'bugger it' and have a naughty day, whether that be a duvet day, a day of snacking, or a day of indulgent shopping. As an adult, I also know the consequences of doing it and what I am prepared to deal with. This is why I don't skip work/pull a sickie, but I DO occasionally fall off the wagon in terms of eating and shopping :)

I think NoS has helped me to understand that habits take a while to build up, and if I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle (and hopefully lose some weight in the process) then I have to minimise the 'bugger it' days and maximise the days on habit. Also, that one off day doesn't mean 'the end'. It just means I had an off day.

I admire your dedication and your successes Noel, I hope you can stay on track with your goals :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:35 am

Yeah, this morning I was thinking that even with No S, I think I still spend too much time dickering about this issue. Why won't thinking about food just go away? Then I thought I've never actually tried to make a practice of diverting my thoughts over and over to something else. It seems sad at moments to realize how often my thoughts return to food. Don't I have something better to think about? but then again, humans often return over and over to similar thoughts. Food is pretty basic. And I doubt skinny people who don't think about food much are having much loftier thoughts. Right? It's not like they've solved the world's problems!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

audiomama

Post by audiomama » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:37 am

Everything that milliem said!

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:21 pm

Food is pretty essential, both as a source of pleasure and to, you know, keep us from DYING -- I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about it! I think if we as a society thought about food more and gave it the respect it deserved, we would probably spend less time driving around eating junk out of a plastic bag and more time planning and eating real, delicious, satisying food. A nation that has embraced GoGurt, Vitamin Water, and nutrition bars is a nation that could use a little more thought about what it eats.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:01 pm

What on earth is GoGurt?!

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Flourescent-colored highly sweetened yogurt in a tube. So you don't need a spoon, two hands, or any working sensory equipment to eat it.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Thalia wrote:Flourescent-colored highly sweetened yogurt in a tube. So you don't need a spoon, two hands, or any working sensory equipment to eat it.
At first I thought that "tube" was a typo or something. Then I read the rest. Sounds as if it should actually be called YuckYurt (except yacks are useful beasts, and I still dream of living in a yurt, however impossible it may be)
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:25 am

LOL! Must be something in the air, Noel! I, too, have been feeling very tempted to throw in the towel and say what the heck? on several occasions this week. I even cheated a bit by having some candy after dinner last night and I've been eating more starchy foods than usual (so much for my low fat venture, huh? - whenever I make a conscious decision to do such and such it NEVER works out. Pays not to overthink it!!) This evening, again around 8 pm I got tempted and felt like having a snack or dessert... but amazingly I managed to abstain. I feel better now that the cravings have subsided. I hope I can do a better job next week since I am now up 2 lbs to 172.
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:18 am

Wow, I thought this was just normal, at least subconsciously. I have fleeting thoughts like this a lot. I'm not sure what it means, but I know now I'm going to ignore them. Talk to me in three months.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Thalia wrote:Food is pretty essential,
both as a source of pleasure
and to, you know, keep us from DYING
-- I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about it!
I totally agree.

And, the temptation to Quit...even for a brief time..is common to us all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3gPS2dXbU
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Noel, I know where you're coming from. Man, why doesn't my body just want food when it needs it, so that I could just eat whenever I felt like it?! What's it like to live like that?

And, now back to our program. I hope.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 am

Hi Noel,
Hang in there, I know you will. Nice thing about a lifestyle, is that it's more stable and deep rooted than a "diet" or any other fad. We're in it for the long haul, eh?
Best wishes,
Sonya
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".