Read while you eat

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

Read while you eat

Post by gk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 pm

I know, I know.....that's the first thing the experts tell you not to do. Might as well be on the couch shoveling food in your mouth, because you're so caught up in what you're reading that you're not paying attention to what goes into your mouth, and before you know it, your food is gone.

Well, I've always loved to read when I happen to be having lunch or a snack by myself. And yes, in the past it had that exact effect. In fact, I'd eat more and longer because I'd get into a good story and wouldn't want to stop at the good part.

But, I've put a new spin on it and it's actually helping me now....

I've started reading my health magazines (i.e. Self, Shape, Health, etc.) while I eat. I incorporate my other new habit (slow eating, putting fork down between each bite, pay attention to taste/texture, etc.) And during my pause between each bite, I read about all these success stories, healthy food ideas, exercises that actually look interesting, and in general, optimistic info on keeping healthy and fit.

So, if I was actually craving a greasy meal or some sweets at the start of my meal, I find that by the middle of it I'm content with my plate of healthy food and by the end I'm actually more psyched about dieting than I was just a short half hour ago. It's like getting a pep talk from a coach while you eat.

Plus, I don't have to give up my indulgence of reading while I eat. :D
Last edited by gk on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Well, y'know, most of the danger people are worried about with reading while you eat is that you're presumably going to eat too much without noticing. NoS helps with that, since (if you're following the one-plate guideline) you're deciding in advance how much you're going to eat. If you're strict about that, reading or doing other stuff won't lead to mindlessly eating too much.

I'm pretty much always doing several other things while I eat, up to and including rock climbing (no, not really), and I haven't found it to be a problem.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:10 pm

I LOVE reading while I eat. Although I'm sure it's true that it keeps me from experiencing and appreciating my food as fully as I should, it's such a relaxing pleasure to me that I can't see giving it up.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Thalia wrote:I LOVE reading while I eat.
Me, too. Although if I'm eating something particularly glorious, I don't want to be distracted from it.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

kittymom

Post by kittymom » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Reading while I eat slows me down for sure. I find I eat less when I take time to taste and think about what I'm eating.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:04 pm

I read while I eat alone. I'm pretty comfortable with that, because I've plated the food first, and can't have seconds, anyway.

I HATE health and fitness mags. They've got all the scientific integrity of sewer rats.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:08 pm

I don't like to read or do anything involving while I eat anymore. I feel like there's a part of my mind that is keeping track of eating enough or enough variety by sight alone, and if I don't see it go into my mouth, that food does not get counted. and that part of me wants more. My mouth feels it, my stomach feels it, and *I* know it, but a silent part of me doesn't know what it didn't see.

If I looked at every bite while reading or watching a movie, I'm sure it would be different, but I don't.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm a word junky: I read for a living (I'm a freelance book editor) and I read for pleasure. I also live alone. This means that I don't always have somebody to share a meal with. So yes, I read while I eat. In this way, I combine my two greatest pleasures: stuffing my face :oops: and stuffing my brain. (More elegantly put: feeding body and mind.)

Reading at the table is still a much better alternative, to my mind, than eating in front of the TV.
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

gk

Post by gk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:24 pm

NoelFigart wrote:I HATE health and fitness mags. They've got all the scientific integrity of sewer rats.
LOL. I just love how you word your opinions. :lol:

debable

Post by debable » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 pm

I read message boards while I eat, it slows down my eating, I have to pause to scroll the page, and since my food is pre-plated I am not overeating.

I used to eat huge bowls of popcorn while reading a novel :oops: so this is a great improvement.

btw, I started no s 2 weeks ago today(all green/yellow) and I lost 6 pounds. :D For now, I will keep reading while I eat, my laptop lives on the dining room table :wink:

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:00 pm

gk wrote:LOL. I just love how you word your opinions. :lol:
*grin* Thanks. Being a writer, it's always nice to hear stuff like that.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:02 am

I don't read while I eat, because I find that if I try to do both, I don't concentrate nearly as well on my book, or on my food.
I'm glad it's working so well for you! :D

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:33 am

I've never been able to understand why watching TV/reading/whatever and eating at the same time have to be mutually exclusive. Contrary to the popular opinion, it always slows be down BIG TIME. And dividing your attention between the plate and book/screen isn't that hard either. Take a bite or two, then read a page. Repeat.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:42 am

I, too, love to read and eat at the same time. Especially message boards (a challenge keeping my computer screen clean!, since the salad dressing seems to fly.). I live alone a lot of the time (share a house with people who are gone a lot) and since trying to eat more healthy, it takes so long to chew a large salad, so I do best if I can be absorbed in something I'm reading and not gettig all bored with how long it's taking to finish my meal. I don't think I get more enjoyment out of the taste or anything if I "only" eat, I enjoy my food pleny in any case!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:10 am

Imogen Morley wrote:I've never been able to understand why watching TV/reading/whatever and eating at the same time have to be mutually exclusive. Contrary to the popular opinion, it always slows be down BIG TIME. And dividing your attention between the plate and book/screen isn't that hard either. Take a bite or two, then read a page. Repeat.
I think it's because in many cases, especially snacking situations, you eat a lot more. Most folks don't put a serving of popcorn, or potato chips or chips and salsa on a plate and eat until it's gone. They take a big bowl of popcorn or the bag of chips and eat until it's gone. Less attention is paid to how much is being eaten.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gk

Post by gk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 am

osoniye wrote:I do best if I can be absorbed in something I'm reading and not gettig all bored with how long it's taking to finish my meal.
I don't think I've EVER had the problem of being bored with how long it takes to finish a meal!! I'm always sad when it's over and already looking forward to the next meal! Gee......I wonder why I need No S.....:D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:30 pm

gk wrote:
I don't think I've EVER had the problem of being bored with how long it takes to finish a meal!! I'm always sad when it's over and already looking forward to the next meal! Gee......I wonder why I need No S.....:D
I actually don't think that's a problem. In fact, I think it's pretty normal. It's anticipation of something pleasurable.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."