Snack Compromise

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Remmurf

Snack Compromise

Post by Remmurf » Tue May 03, 2011 3:42 am

I have been doing this diet for about 5 weeks. There are some times when I really feel the need to have something in my stomach, like when I am about to go work out and I haven't eaten for 4 or 5 hours. At those times, I eat a large spoonful of plain, non-fat yogurt, which I feel okay with because 1) it's non-fat and has hardly any calories and 2) I hate it, so it doesn't feel like a treat or like I'm cheating, even though technically I am.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 am

Yogurt has a very similar makeup to milk. The Indians mix it with ice, water, and sugar for a drink; Iranians, with ice, water, and a little salt. (They like the tangy flavor.) It's your choice to have a mini-meal, in any case.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue May 03, 2011 4:31 pm

I use a protein drink for the same situation just so I'm compliant with the drink part. I think the idea of throwing a spoonful of yogurt in a shaker cup with water is a good one. You'll get hydrated too, which is important for working out. The older I get the creakier I feel if I don't have something to drink before exercise

As for the non-fat, low calories, disliking it, etc, just because food is "healthy" and not a temptation doesn't make it any less non-compliant for a snack. A healthy snack is still a snack. The snackiness of a food is a different issue than if you need it before a workout. I find it best to be very, very clear about this with myself. Otherwise, you get into all sorts of rationalizations and over thinking of food and that leads to Diet Head.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue May 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Maybe you could adjust your mealtimes and/or workout time so you aren't going four or five hours without eating before a workout?

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Tue May 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:I use a protein drink for the same situation just so I'm compliant with the drink part. I think the idea of throwing a spoonful of yogurt in a shaker cup with water is a good one. You'll get hydrated too, which is important for working out. The older I get the creakier I feel if I don't have something to drink before exercise

As for the non-fat, low calories, disliking it, etc, just because food is "healthy" and not a temptation doesn't make it any less non-compliant for a snack. A healthy snack is still a snack. The snackiness of a food is a different issue than if you need it before a workout. I find it best to be very, very clear about this with myself. Otherwise, you get into all sorts of rationalizations and over thinking of food and that leads to Diet Head.
I'm like you; I have to be careful not to rationalize things and make excuses for myself. I don't EVER snack, no matter how "healthy" the food supposedly is, because once you start to make exceptions, it can quickly become the rule.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 11, 2011 12:42 am

I'm strict. So much so that in the beginning I made a pact with myself to tolerate hunger even if it were uncomfortable between meals.

Why?

Because I'm weak-willed and incredibly good at fooling myself. That just made it easier and I'm kind of lazy.

I'm not saying it works for everyone, mind. But it is what worked for me. I don't really think about eating between meals these days unless I'm REALLY cranky or bored.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Wed May 11, 2011 12:45 pm

I have a protein shake from time to time after a gym workout if it's in the middle of the morning or afternoon... not close to a mealtime. I use skim milk and add some protein powder. I don't beat myself up about it thinking is this a snack or a sweet (because it is chocolate flavored). It's not every day.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain