other readings

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kariev34

other readings

Post by kariev34 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:54 pm

I was wondering if there are any other good books out there that are similar to no s? any recommendations

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu May 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Not really. The closest I've found is the 9inch Diet. Some here have found books on intuitive eating helpful, but I like the structure and boundaries of No S.

That said, there are several books which complement No S. Mindless Eating by Brian Wasink. In Defense of Food and Food Rules by Michael Pollan. There is a book by an Italian Grandma, Clara... I forget the name. I'm sure Wosnes can help there. The End of Overeating by David Kessler and Fat Land by Greg Critser are both well written with solid (though not infallible) research behind them.

gk

Post by gk » Thu May 12, 2011 1:22 pm

I thought "The Life You Want" by Bob Greene was a good read in combination with The No S Diet. It deals more with the emotional side of it. Plus, lots of success stories for good motivation.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barabara Kingsolver is fascinating.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 pm

It's Clara's Kitchen by Clara Cannucciari. Great little book -- not a "diet" at all, but an example of how her family ate (and she continued to eat and cook) during the Great Depression.

I agree with the books mentioned above and I'll also cast a vote for French Women Don't Get Fat. I'm also interested in The Martini Diet, though I still haven't read the book. I like the three rules:

Martini Diet Rule #1: Eat Only the Very Best
Martini Diet Rule #2: Eat Somewhat Less of the Very Best
Martini Diet Rule #3: Only Eat the Best at Mealtime
Last edited by wosnes on Thu May 12, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu May 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Any diet with martini in the name has to be good! The rules sound very sane.

I remember when I was a girl hearing about businessmen and the two martini lunch, whatever that was. Of course, showing up back at work w/ two martinis in you would be immediate grounds for dismissal in most jobs today.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Someone here has posted about The Martini Diet previously; that's how I found out about it. That person had some confusion about portion sizes on the diet. I found an example of what they should be today.
Each constituent in a meal must be able to fit into a 3 oz Martini glass. As an example when serving a meal of salmon, brown rice and asparagus the portion of each food should just reach the top of the glass.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu May 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Here are the books that I think complement No S philosophically:

My Life in France, Julia Child -- at one point she talks about how she and her husband stayed thin, even while she was testing recipes for her books: walk a lot, skip desserts, don't eat huge portions. They never once did a "diet."

Honey from a Weed: Feasting and Fasting in Calabria, Patience Grey -- I know I have the subtitle wrong. She talks about the food in three peasant cultures where she lived with her sculptor husband. People had huge, lavish feasts for certain holidays, interspersed with religious fasts (meaning sparse vegetarian meals, not refraining from eating), and she talks about how the structure of not eating everything all the time in huge quantities made the feasts special and meaningful. If every day is a feast, then there is no pleasure in feasting.

Another vote for French Women Don't Get Fat, Mireille Giuliano, although she's unbearably smug.

Volumetrics, Barbara Roll -- Although I think following her specific diet recomendations isn't really necessary (especially since she's very anti-fat and includes two snacks a day), she talks a lot about her research into eating behavior and how environmental cues make you eat more or less. Also, if you want to really fill your three plates with stuff that will tide you over to the next meal or you're worried about getting hungry, Volumetrics has some good suggestions about what to choose.

OTHER READING ABOUT FOOD AND WEIGHT THAT'S NOT NO-S RELATED:

Losing It: America's Obsession with Weight Loss, Laura Fraser -- I think this book is about 15 years old, and the things she describes have only gotten worse.

Rethinking Thin, Gina Kolata -- if you ever thought "of COURSE diets work, if those disgusting lazy fat people would just stick to them and of COURSE fat is a horrible death sentence and besides fat people deserve to die because they're yucky," this is an eye-opener. It's also a great encouragement to look at something like No S and Urban Ranger for the benefits they offer that have nothing to do with weight.

Health at Every Size, Linda Bacon -- focus on healthy behaviors, not the scale.

Food Matters and The Food Matters Cookbook, Mark Bittman -- A more applied approach to Michael Pollan's food concerns, plus Bittman writes awesome recipes. The Food Matters Cookbook is in heavy rotation in my kitchen right now!

Perfection Salad, Laura Shapiro -- if you want to know how American food got the way it is, this book is fascinating!

The Art of Eating, MFK Fisher -- to see how much we miss if we think of food as an enemy or a drug.

Climbing the Mango Tree, Madhur Jaffrey -- what eating looks like in a culture with well-established traditions about what and when to eat.

Any real cookbook (not diet, not "semi homemade" or "101 Ways with Canned Soup") -- I am convinced that cooking real meals with real ingredients is the single most important change we can make to the way we eat!

Best Thing I Ever Tasted
, Sally Tisdale -- very entertaining musings about food in America, with a little bit of everthing: nostalgia, social science, personal anecdotes, food politics.

Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain -- Just because it's fun.
Last edited by Thalia on Thu May 12, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kariev34

Post by kariev34 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I love reading about health, nutrition, and exercise and was looking for other books to compliment no S. Thanks again.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Fri May 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:Not really. The closest I've found is the 9inch Diet.
I like this one. I do both the 9 Inch Diet and No S, and they work rather well together. I use 9" plates on N days, 10.5" plates on S days.
Some here have found books on intuitive eating helpful, but I like the structure and boundaries of No S.
I've never tried intuitive eating, but I suspect I'd do very badly at it. One of the things I love about No S is that it doesn't require me to be able to tell if my feeling of hunger is genuine, or is stress, boredom, or something else. If it's meal time, I can eat. If it's not, I need to ignore the hungry feelings as best I can. If I've finished what's on my plate, I need to stop eating, even if I want more food.