Chronic Back Pain - Will Nos Still Work?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruthie71

Chronic Back Pain - Will Nos Still Work?

Post by Ruthie71 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:13 pm

I can't do any strength training due to chronic back pain. Will nos work? I plan to see a doctor and physiotherapist next week. Urban Ranger is still possible. I am fed up with trying to exercise and getting stopped in my tracks by pain. Then I medicate stress and pain with food :-(

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Urban Ranger, Shovelglove, and No S are all separate ideas -- you can do No S without any exercise at all, and at least your eating habits will improve. I'm sorry about the pain and hope they can find a way to work around it! Hopefully if you're eating well and walking, your back will become stronger and less stressed even without strength training.

Ruthie71

Post by Ruthie71 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Thank you. Life's pretty tough at the moment as I have a one year old who can't walk yet and a three year old. We have no help and can't afford babysitters etc. Consequently I don't get a break. So I eat as it is an escape, always has been. I just feel like I struggle through every day. Walking makes me feel good. Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. Back to the breakfast dishes.....;-)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:32 pm

It's so hard to get a break when the kiddos are really young!

Thalia's right (as usual). You can do No-S (or any of the other systems) as a stand-alone.

Hope that No-S works for you, and that you find ways to address your back pain. That's no fun at all!!

(And welcome.)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi and welcome. It depents what you mean by "work". I have known a number of people who have gained an enormous amount of weight while experienceing back problems and I would bet that NoS would prevent the worst of that. I don't know if you're likely to lose weight or not, if that's what you are interested in.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Welcome!

Can No S work with a chronic pain condition? Yes! Due to a chronic pain condition, I have to be very careful about the type of exercise I do -- nothing that puts major stress on my problem region or I end up with a major flare up -- so I walk everyday. That's it. To date, I haven't been able to incorporate strength training either, although, if it is at all possible, I'd love to get to the point where I can.

As the others have said, No S and exercise are connected but not mutually exclusive. I've been thrilled with the success I've had by doing No S and "just" walking.

It is tough to make time for exercise when you've got little ones at home. My DD is in elementary school now but, when she was small, I had to do a combination of getting up and exercising before the rest of my family, exercising at naptime, exercising after my kiddo went to bed, tag-teaming with the hubby so we both had a chance to workout and simply walking with kiddo in the stroller/in tow. It took some creativity but, with some effort and dedication, it was doable ... and well worth it.

I hope that you are able to get some answers and find some relief for your back problem!
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

daintycow

Post by daintycow » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:35 pm

@ Ruthie71,
I am so sorry for your pain. I know- I'm right there with you. I put on 30 pounds after a back and neck injury the last couple of years. I have been looking for something that could be done with or without exercise. I believe that it is entirely possible to do No-S successfully without exercise. I am just getting started on No-S (week 2) but this has been very doable. I can celebrate my success and not have it contigent on the physical part. On bad days- when I can't move- I can still have the power to adhere to No- S. Good luck on your journey. You are not alone.

;)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:32 pm

If you have to take medications that should be taken with food (as many painkillers should) at non-meal times, you might have to schedule mini-meals to accommodate that.

I've been doing No S but not exercising (yet). I've managed to lose weight.

I'm also a stress eater, and No S is great for us. You don't have to be able to tell the difference between stress and genuine hunger, as many other diets require you to do (I can't speak for other stress eaters, but when I'm stressed, I feel something that feels exactly like hunger, to me). With No S, though, the question isn't whether you're hungry, but whether it is meal time. If it's not, you don't eat, end of discussion. If it is meal time, you eat one plate of food, even if that one plate leaves you wanting more.

Ruthie71

Post by Ruthie71 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Wow, thanks! This is really helpful. This week has been an S week due to a cold. I really want to make nos a part of my life and the positive messages have helped.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:28 am

Ruthie..I went through a loooong period w/back issues too. I would think I had it healed, and the pain would flair up again. Walking was the best thing I could do for myself. For awhile, I would have to stop every 20 steps or so and stretch my back.... gradually , I could go farther and farther. I also discovered a very gentle yoga class and that really helped me. (I still try to get there once a week.) Be sure you are wearing the proper walking shoes for you. Support is very important! I also have started wearing an over-the-counter back brace whenever I think I am going to be doing something that might strain my back. Ice seems to help me more than heat. I know all about feeling bummed and turning to any food within reach..and then being mad at myself for doing that so eating again and on and on. No S gives you the plan and the support! It is a life planfor healthy eating habits. Welcome and good luck!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Sticking to No S will probably take away one issue of stress- the constant deciding all day long of should I eat this or not? Is it breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Yes. Is it not one of those? NO. That's it! exception for the medication issue. I have found this to be calming and confidence-boosting, after the initial and intermittent hissy fits.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:27 am

"8 Steps to a Pain Free Back". I've never had back pain, but my husband has and so I took some time to do some research and found this book. I changed my posture and it had a great impact on me.
Kathleen