An Orange Before You Sleep?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lilzui

An Orange Before You Sleep?

Post by Lilzui » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:51 pm

I've read somewhere that if you eat a orange before you sleep it burns more calories. This is due to it being hard to digest therefore your body has to work twice as hard while your sleeping thus burning more calories! So does this count as a snack? And how shortly before you sleep, say 20 mins or so?
'Please God, if you can't make me thin, make my friends fat'!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi Lilzui..
Firstly, your prayers have been answered (from quote below) because you are amongst some fat people now.. LOL...
But we're all getting thinner!
So.. Your question..
First... it's a horrible habit to eat before sleeping.. Why would you want your body to have to work twice as hard to burn food?
You want your body to be processing food in the way it is most efficient and easy on your system..
Digestion takes the most energy of pretty much, all the physical functions of the body... It's hard enough..
Secondly, I wouldn't worry about how to burn an orange twice as fast, so much as
1. Building healthy eating patterns (and frankly I don't think that theory has much merit since our bodies really don't want to process food while we sleep.. Theoretically it might take twice as much effort, but most likely, that's only some theory and probably the reality is that it will just sit there in your stomach and give you some kind of citrus flavored dreams! LOL..)
2. not getting side tracked with loads of other diet warnings..
Try NoS as planned.... Three meals a day... No snacking.
Include that orange at dinner for your dessert if you want it..
If you really want to burn calories before bed, skip the orange and just do some exercise! :wink:

Hope you have fun!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Lilzui

Post by Lilzui » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:46 pm

Hey!

Lol! Thanks for the adivice. I know it's not wise to eat just before you sleep. But sometimes you can get really peckish later on in the night. And what better to eat than something that is healthy for you instead of junk? Then again its not really in keepin with the guidelines of No S! :oops: Will do my best to stick to No S, only on second day though, hmm..... :?:

Night Night (ha)
Suzanne
'Please God, if you can't make me thin, make my friends fat'!!!

navin

Post by navin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:20 pm

I've kept the nighttime eating thing under control a couple ways.. first is to eat a decent dinner at a decent time. If I eat nothing but a PB&J at 5pm right after I get home from work, that becomes trouble later on.

That and I try to have something good and interesting for breakfast. SO even if I go to bed a little hungy, I can just look forward to a nice, tasty breakfast the next day. (In fact I will be doing that tonight... there's still some pumpkin bread for tomorrow... mmmm..)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:20 am

If, say, your schedule is wake up at 6, eat breakfast at 7, work 8-5 with lunch at noon... then you probably eat dinner before 6 pm.

If you can, eat lunch at 1 and you can eat dinner at 630 or 7. Then if you go to bed at 10, you probably won't be hungry. Putting all of your meals 4-5 hours apart is hard when you are awake for 16 hours.

This can be applied to different times ^_-

The thing about oranges is they are slightly harder to digest than, say, fat, and so you get less "net calories" from the orange than from equivalent calories worth of, say, butter. But it's negligible overall in your day, so don't even think about it. Eat the orange at the end of dinner, I've even been managing to put mine on my plate (my measurement device) although I take it off to eat my hot food and peel it.

The tasty breakfast thing works great until you run out of your tasty breakfast food, so stay stocked on staples you... st...eat a lot.
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"