Totally off topic...(long)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Älskling

Totally off topic...(long)

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:43 pm

But here goes anyway.

Right now I'm really, really frustrated over an incident with a contractor. The incident is over but it left me feeling uncomfortable.

Here's the deal. I hired a landscaping company a year ago to design the front of my house. I prepaid for six hours and was told that I would get a computer rendering and a detailed plan showing where the plants would go and a list of the plants. The owner assured me that the design would not take even close to six hours to complete and in the contract it was written that we would review once we got to that point.

The designer came up with two preliminary designs and we chose one. Since we desperately needed a new walkway and front steps we hired the company to do the work for the hardscaping only (because we only had enough money for that.) In the meantime all we got for our design money was a computer rendering and an e-mail about what some of the large plants were.

The company came in September and did the hardscaping. While they were there we decided to have some large trees installed so that was done. The trees that were in the designers plan were not available so a few different ones were put in.

After the job was done I asked the owner when I would get my final design and he said he would have the designer call me. We never got in contact until a couple of weeks ago where I was informed that I had already used up my time and that they would charge me for any more time.

After having a little, b*tchy e-mail exchange with the designer I called the owner. He proceeded to tell me that I used up 11 1/2 hours of design time because "of all the changes I made." I didn't like two of the trees that the designer put in the plan so I asked her put different ones in. He then went on to say that my argument was "pissing him off" and that I always "push and push", that "I'm confused", that I signed off on this or that, and that it wasn't worth it (financially) to him to do anymore work for us. This is coming from a man who laid it on really thick about how his company was in it for the long haul with the customer.

On his own (after I decided and told him that I just didn't want to discuss it anymore) he decided that he would send me a large scale drawing of the design with a complete plant list so I guess I should feel happy, but I'm upset. I'm upset because in the course of his rant he basically made me out to be some sort of shrew that nitpicks everything. Am I wrong for wanting what I paid for or to get my money's worth? I'm not the type to breathe down someone's neck when they're working at my house but I want to know what's going to happen before the job is done because I don't like surprises. I admit that I'm not a passive person. When I go to the doctor I ask questions and do research. I always do research about all large purchases and I ask a lot questions which is why I'm really thrown for a loop by not getting what I thought I paid for.

I would really like to hear a guy's point of view of this (in addition to any women), because, I hate to say this, but I can't imagine him saying the things he did if he were speaking to a man.

Maria

P.S. Sorry to be airing this here but I sort of feel like it's related to No-S because I'm trying to avoid eating my way through this.
Last edited by Älskling on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:58 pm

I have no experience with this kind of thing, but i think that was totally unprofessional of him. If i may ask a personal question? are you single? sometimes these people will try to take advantage of a woman alone because they think the woman won't know anything or won't go against what is told to them...anyway, it may be that you need to contact a lawyer and ask for some legal advice. in the meantime be sure you keep any paperwork that you have on this to show to your lawyer.

just my two cents. :)
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi Maria, I'm sorry you are upset and that guy was so rude and unprofessional to you, but he isn't a Nobel Peace Prize winner, he is a contractor.. And worse, a landscaper... I worked for a handful of those, and let's just say, I wouldn't imagine that too many of them go to self improvement workshops or sensitivity training seminars..
Don't take it personal.. Even though he is aiming his comments at you, those comments are a projection of his reality and who he is...
(He probably gets pissed off all the time!)
LOL..

If you know in your heart that you weren't ill mannered with him then you really need look nowhere else for anyone elses input..
If they don't give you satisfaction, theres always small claims court if you feel he misrepresented the deal and didn't give you what you agreed upon.. It costs very little to you, and it would cost him a whole day of work and lawyers fees..
Not to sound sexist here, but I would say maybe let someone else in your life (hubby, just for convenience sake, since he is there with you, not because he is a man) help out with negotiating with this semi bottom dwelling contractor..
Why put anymore of your energy to waste in a position which makes you feel vulnerable to harm..
Walking away is sometimes the best choice...
Don't you go binge now! Okay? :wink:

Hope this helps.
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

PS... At the bottom of the BB there is an Off topic section, just fyi...

3aday

Post by 3aday » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:21 pm

I would report him to the BBB.
You don't sound like you did anything wrong.
Normally, contractors and designers appreciate people who are involved in the design process.
Also, word of mouth is the best form of advertising so I would let it known that they are not customer oriented at all.

navin

Post by navin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:13 pm

I guess I have mixed opinions here. It does sound like the guy was rude and probably a bit harsh in dealing with you. That being said, most contractors really don't like anyone to "micromanage" them, so to speak. And, of course, it should be expected that making changes midway through will cost more.

That tends to be the tradeoff you make when hiring somebody - they do the work, but you lose a bit of control.

My experience has been, in the case where you really do want every single detail exactly right, why not do it yourself? Be your own general contractor, and hire your own subcontractors for the hard stuff or for the things you can't do on your own, and do everything else yourself. Of course this takes longer, but then you have complete control.

Just my opinoin. Though if you saw my own yard you probably would want to take any lanscaping advice from me with a grain of salt. :lol:
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:32 pm

After re-reading my post I realized that it sounds like I made a lot of changes. Those were his words (I edited the post.) Nothing was actually changed while the work was being done (there was no micro-managing or changes done midway), I simply didn't like two of the trees that the designer put in the rendering so I asked her to change them. The work that was done was fine and I have no complaint about that. My complaint is that I was told I would get a nicely drawn design with a list of plants and after nearly a year of being told that the design was on it's way, I suddenly find out that I used up 11 1/2 hours of their time. I had two separate contracts with the company, one for a design and one for actual work. I just find it suspicious that after I paid for the hardscaping job that I never got my initial plan.

Anyway, I'm not looking for legal advice or anything like that. The owner is sending me the plans anyway so in that sense I "won." I just felt that I was personally attacked because I made the guy work a little to get my business (by asking too many questions, I suppose.)

Thanks for all the advice.

Oh and sorry about posting here. I didn't know about the Off-topic section. Thanks Deb!
Maria

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 am

Hi Maria,

I had my own set of troubles with landscaping people, only the people I hired were definately crooks and did a terrible job of what they did!

I'm glad they're sending you the plans. That something at least. Did they also do a good job of the bits they did finish? That's also something.

Sometimes these things are hard to deal with and it's very difficult to tell who is 'right'. My major mistake was not to get everything in writing beforehand, in sufficient detail as to guarantee the job would be done properly. Oh well. Live and learn, eh?

Good job on NOT heading out to visit the bottom of the cookie jar on this one.

C.
CaroleJo