trying to promote no s is not always easy

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jellybeans01

trying to promote no s is not always easy

Post by jellybeans01 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:57 pm

I have several friends, Mom and Mil, who will in no time be telling me about their current diet they just started blah blah blah. And judging what friend or family member is telling me this I can almost estimate how long it will last. Although, I do always encourage healthy changes. So I always bring up my no s diet. I ususally gain their ear because by their estimation I'm the more thin one of the group. So I it is easy "NO snacks".....and there it is, a glaze passes before their eyes and I know I have lost them. They just can't get over no snacks and then the questions come "what about healthy snacks?" "don't you need to eat every 2-3 hours to lose weight?" "will I go into starvation mode?"(like anyone in the states know what true starving really is) and so on. The thought of releasing snacks for some people is so troubling, I just don't get it.

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:43 pm

It's funny isn't it? Judging from the posts on this forum for a lot of people who stumble across no s, myself included it seems to just click, it's almost an 'oh yeah, duh!' moment, yet others seem to have a very hard time getting to grips with the no snacks thing. Have you tried giving them a copy of the book and just letting it do the talking?

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Me? I keep my mouth mostly shut on this subject. I've mentioned to my immediate coworkers that I don't eat sweets or snacks on weekdays, and they pretty much looked at me like I was insane.

I was raised in a no snack household, which was difficult because I have a very speedy metabolism.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Same here, a co-worker has spent literally hundreds of dollars so far this year for weight loss supplements, Jillian Michael cleanses, stuff at the GNC shop, etc. yet she is heavier than she was at Christmas time. Know why? Her trashcan is full of Thin Mints boxes, she eats about every hour and she is too busy to exercise because she spends every moment away from work attending some various event her three boys are involved in.

She is always offering me some goodies, I just say no thanks, I don't eat between meals . She just looks baffled. :shock:
Berry

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:10 am

I don't talk about No-S at all unless I'm asked. Unfortunately, that approach doesn't help spread the word. :( It does keep me sane.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 pm

I am with you wosnes because the few people I have talked to do not seem to get it...or believe it..or whatever. Even my well meaning friend did not get it when I just refused the weight watcher desserts she encouraged me to try on a weekday...
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:14 am

r.jean wrote: Even my well meaning friend did not get it when I just refused the weight watcher desserts she encouraged me to try on a weekday...
I'd refuse a weight watchers dessert on an S day! :lol:
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:46 am

Maybe it just sounds too simple? I haven't done this too long, but I did get very odd looks when I just had a glass of tea at a meeting and turned down the cookies.
Lisa, mom to 7

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:13 am

I think this is one of those areas where us menfolk have it easier (I also think I've said this before somewhere on the boards). People comment on my size, ask me how I do it, agree that it sounds sensible and then don't do it. A week later, I have the same conversation with the same person, who obviously assumed I was a liar or an idiot and that my extra weight loss must be because of the exercise I do rather than the diet.

I think someone mentioned on another thread that being on No-S doesn't feel like doing anything, which might also have something to do with people's reluctance to accept it. There is a pervasive notion that one must be busy to be productive.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Joyofsix wrote:Maybe it just sounds too simple?
That could be part of it.

No counting calories, carbs, fat grams, or points. No weighing or measuring. No complicated formulas. No special products or drinks. No elimination of certain foods or food groups. No shopping for special foods. No need to spend extra money. Just 3 (okay, 2-4, depending on your situation) meals daily, no snacks and no sweets except on S days.

Duh.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:59 pm

I think we're such a part of "diet culture" that we've gotten used to having to be told what to eat and how to micro-manage it. Filling a plate with "whatever" probably seems a bit out of control and scary sometimes.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:01 pm

wosnes wrote:
r.jean wrote: Even my well meaning friend did not get it when I just refused the weight watcher desserts she encouraged me to try on a weekday...
I'd refuse a weight watchers dessert on an S day! :lol:

:D
Berry

Andie

Post by Andie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:32 pm

I try to "evangelize" too, but I usually get the same glazed over eyes response. Interestingly enough, the naturally thin people seem to get it more than overweight people do. I was at a function the other day, and was offered a cookie by the naturally thin coordinator, to which I replied "no thanks, I'm trying not to eat sweets on weekdays". She said "oh, you're setting up some personal boundaries. That's good".

One of my good friends who is also trying to lose weight was sharing her plan with me, so I shared no S. She had no comment what so ever! Just a blank stare... as she microwaved her lean cuisine meal...
Back after a long hiatus.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:22 am

To Andie
Wow. 26 lbs is a great 6 month loss!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:02 am

Selling No S isn't always easy? I think it's rarely easy. I think people don't trust themselves. They just can't believe they will stop wanting to eat so much without more specific limits. They are also used to the idea that if you get very hungry, you have to overeat at the next meal.

I've done a lot of sharing online here and on sparkpeople about No S, but I actually don't talk about it much to others in "real" life unless they ask about my weight loss. People have to be ready for any habit change message. Most of them aren't even ready when they do try a new diet.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 am

I'm going to thank those who mention no s. I first heard about it in a home education board. That's pretty far from dieting as a topic. You just never know who is listening.
Lisa, mom to 7

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:41 am

I know, people that I have talked to think I'm crazy, we must eat every 2-3 hours, no snacks even healthy ones. I interviewed a thin friend of mine who said she eats 3 healthy squares most days of the week and a little less rigid on the weekends.

I have a friend that has 10lbs to lose and sees the sanity with No S, but must lose the last 10 first and then she'll try it. I see her struggle day in and day out trying to lose the 10lbs beating herself up because she had 1600 cals for the day...1600 cals is not bad. The insanity of calorie counting :)

I'm enjoying the sanity, in time I'm sure the weight will follow.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8