Weighing

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jenny72

Weighing

Post by jenny72 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:43 am

Hi

I have done my first 21 and now going for the long term day by day!! I have sent myself a goal of giving it a go for a good year. Its a long term goal but I feel it could take that to see results in lots of ways.

In my first 21 days I found that getting weighed really effects my emotions. Normally I have not lost as much as I would like and this sends my on a rollacoaster of thoughts, giving up and trying a quick fix diet (which have never worked but when I am in these moods it feels like a good idea) I now weighing myself weekly is not the best thing to do but that is much better then before when I did daily!!!!

So I am thinking not to weigh myself for a year so I can break this bad habit and the feeling I get as I think it has been VERY harmful for me in the past and focus on how I feel.

Does any one else have this problem. I am doing so well then weigh myself :0(

Jenny

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:56 am

This is one of those things where so many different things work for different people.

I never weighed myself at all for about 3 years a while back, then discovered I was about 20 lbs heavier than I thought I was.
Since starting No S, I've veered between weighing myself either once a aweek or every day, I decided not to weigh myself for a month, but cracked and jumped on half way through.

A year seems like a long time. I understand why, but are you setting yourself up to fail? Monthly might be easier to start with maybe. There was a really interesting thread on here not long ago where someone always thought in lbs so switched their scales to show KGs, so they could keep track but it wouldn't affect them so much. Could you try that?
When nothing goes right...go left.

planner lady

Post by planner lady » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:16 pm

I tried weighing myself once a month but couldn't do it. I weigh myself every morning and write my weight down on a chart. The daily numbers don't usually upset me because I try to look at the average. Plus I have lots of fluctuations due to hormonal issues I'm dealing with. I would rather know what the scale says than not know so I've learned to keep the number on the scale in perspective.

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:41 pm

I weigh myself whenever I want to but I only record it once a week. And I allow myself to jiggle on the scale to see if I can get it to say something lower on that day if I want to. (usually I don't, but I'm allowed). It'll always be within some amount of what I "actually" weigh that day, right?

Sometimes I weigh every day and grit my teeth that it's not moving like I want it to. Sometimes I just weigh once a week and write it down without much reflection. The number is just a number--happiness can happen at any size. (So can self-doubt and criticism, unfortunately).

Most scales aren't that accurate, either, not that that's much consolation if you're fixated on hitting an ever-decreasing series of numbers without any back-and-forth fluxuation on the way.

Some people move to measuring somthing else, like with a tape measure, or different units, that they aren't as emotionally invested in. Or a specific item of clothing as a "reference".

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi there! Just wanted to add my 2 cents : I too have problems with the scales in that it would seem they have no trouble going up but have a heck of a struggle coming down!! Whilst I think No S is THE best plan out there, even so I get frustrated at the lack of weight loss/gains and my (now sometimes) ott S Days. Still working on those.

I often wonder if ignorance is bliss as in the case of the poster who said she hadn't weighed in 3 years only to discover she was in fact 20 lbs heavier. (Apologies since I can't recall the poster's name!) It makes me wonder how much impact that extra weight had on her body - I guess physically as well as mentally.
The scales definitely do me in ! Often as not, I've been compliant with No S or any other diet for that matter, then I get disappointed after standing on the scales and getting no loss or a gain. In a flash, my upbeat mood can change to a deep depression! If I could I would avoid the scales for as long as possible but there's always that niggling worry that if I do so for long enough, my weight will spiral out of control. I think the once a month weighing for that reason is the happy medium. If ONLY I could follow my own advice.....sigh!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

SunCat

Post by SunCat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:49 pm

The scale is a problem for me as well. In fact, that's something I plan to address in my one month update on my blog.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Ladyj! Look forward to reading it. Have a great week!!

jenny72

Post by jenny72 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:57 pm

I think reading everyones post that monthly would be a good thing to aim for. Doing it once a year I am setting myself upto fail.

I think this would be a good idea to help control my mood swings relating to weight maybe one day it will not be so important to me.

Thanks everyone.
Jenny

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 pm

I hate that the scale has so much power to make or break our day. I usually weigh about once a week, I sort of got this from my old Weight watcher days. I think if you want to go without weighing yourself that is fine, clothes are a good judge also.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:41 am

It was me :D who didn't weigh for 3 years and discovered the 20 extra lbs. To be honest I wasn't affected too much physically or mentally by the extra weight. I had a physically active job, a good relationship, went out a lot and was very confident. What drove me to Slimming World was more the way I ate, binge eating, than anything else. I knew I didn't eat 'like a normal person' Slimming World retaught me how to have a healthy relationship with food, and No S is continuing the progress.
When nothing goes right...go left.

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 am

I find that a good way to avoid excessive weighing is not to have scales in the house. I am too lazy to go and buy some so the only time I ever use any is at my brothers house if I happen to be curious, and then I don't really believe what they say due to being fully clothed and often having just eaten! This does mean that I don't have a very reliable way of judging success or failure other than how my clothes fit, however it does effectively bypass my obsessive nature!

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:49 pm

I too become scale obsessed! I was only weighing myself on Friday mornings, but that was when I was dieting. Doing No S, I think I'm gonna switch to every other or 1 a month just to keep it in check. It does have the ability to make or break your whole day, well morning any way. Especially for us impatient people that wanna see results right now!

Years ago someone told me to keep yourself from weighing yourself everyday you need to put your scale in the trunk of your car and park at the end of the driveway, cause your not gonna walk out there naked to get it:)

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:47 pm

LOL! I like it!!

Skykitty: thanks for your response re. the 20 lbs. Good for you in that you didn't let it 'consume' you (no pun intended) and let it get in the way of having a good time. That indeed is the way it should be, after all! Sometimes I get annoyed with myself and my constant worry/obsession over my weight! It seems to go in cycles with me; sometimes I'm more aware of it than at others, but on the whole, it pretty much takes up/blights my life and my happiness. I remember having some extra weight on as a young adult, dancing at a discotheque and instead of enjoying myself, all I could think about was what was I going to do about my increasing weight? Nothing fit me and I was getting more worried about it by the second. However I did suffer from BED (unbeknownst to my self at the time since there wasn't much data going around on bingeing or even the more 'well known' anorexia at that time). Looking back now, yes I do still have weight woes, but to let it interfere with my happiness in the prime of my youth when I should have been out there enjoying myself...?? Crazy! I always used to envy my friends, non of whom had a weight problem and the key perhaps - food being the furthest thing from their minds!

In summing up, if I could I would steer clear of the scales. I definitely think they're not my friend.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:03 am

I find I'm weighing myself daily and have come to accept the fluctuations which in the past I would freak out.

I used my 10lb weights to make sure it was accurate and go by my numbers.

I don't know what it is, but I feel fat (which I am currently :)) or I feel like I gained weight so I jump on, mostly it is in my head and I'm fine..not losing, but not gaining. That is a start.

But for sure numbers can wreck a great start to a day. I might consider once a month, starting with August 1.

Good luck, as I know most of us totally understand...
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:55 pm

I weigh each night and morning, out of habit, often I don't even remember what it says :D I was scale-less for a couple months because the battery died. I decided to see if I could tell my weight without the scale by my clothes. By the time I got a battery (to do my one year check in), I figured I weighed 145 - my goal weight - as my clothes fit perfectly.

I weighed 144, pretty good huh? Now I can tell before I step on the scale what I will weigh, down to the pound. I usually weigh 3 or 4 pounds less each morning, without fail. Fun to watch but it doesn't change how I will eat or exercise for the day unless my weight would begin to get too low and then I would have to add food. That hasn't happened this year although it did last year. I am where I want to be and hope to be able to maintain.

Always the hardest.
Berry

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:34 am

The scale has always been my downfall too. I used to get so depressed with the fluctuations. For the first 6 months of No S I made myself stay away from the scale and only do monthly weigh ins. However, this month I have been stepping on more often as a motivation tool. I am struggling to get through summer, a time of year that I usually gain. Stepping on the scale makes me work a little harder to at least maintain my current weight and not go backwards. Strangely, I am not upset by the summer struggles but rather encouraged by it. If I can make it through the summer without abandoning No S then I can keep it up forever.

I will still only write down my monthly weights. I will officially weigh on the 20th. It looks good right now. I have not gained and may have even lost a little.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:27 pm

r.jean, I'll say it again,
Wow, thirty pounds in six months. You must really notice the difference in how your body feels and moves.

Congrats on all your hard work :wink:
Berry

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 pm

I haven't been on this site for a while and it seems every subject has hit its target with me. I just decided today that I was only going to weigh myself once a year because the scale has to much power over me.

I will be able to tell by clothes if I'm gaining or losing and I know I will feel more satisfied with my life by being in control over mealtimes.

Very interesting ready today between this post and another (can't remember the name) but it was very inspiring. NOS has worked for me better than any other way of eating, so why did I stray.........

Marcie

Post by Marcie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:10 pm

I don't weigh myself, and I don't plan to start: I've found that associating diet and exercise with weight in my head is a quick ticket to starvation and overexertion, at least for me. "Well, if X is good, X-1 must be better! If walking six miles is good, what if I just do it again? And run this time?" The momentum builds frighteningly fast, and I've learned from habit that it's not something I can control.

So, I try to frame diet and exercise in terms of wellness rather than weight. If I lose weight--which I'll admit that I'd like to; more size than weight, I guess--it'll be a secondary effect of eating better and being more active.