Reinhard tried to warn you re: diet soda!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SpiritSong

Reinhard tried to warn you re: diet soda!

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Interesting study, although with older adults and no definitive explanation of the results (is there ever?).

http://www.buffalonews.com/life/health- ... 493438.ece

keriamon

Post by keriamon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Not the first study that's found that correlation. People blow it off, saying if there are no calories, you can't get fat, but that assumes a direct, straight-line correlation between calories and weight that does not exist. There's this thing called metabolism that affects the outcome of the equation. Also, the body can turn calories into energy or muscle or fat (fat in food does not often turn into fat on the body, as the French like to point out)--how it selects what to do with the calories is still a mystery.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that consuming something like the chemical compounds of artificial sugar could cause your body to turn other things you eat into body fat, mess up your insulin, etc. It can also adjust your metabolism, so you burn calories less effeciently. And then there's the simple idea that the more sweets you taste, the more you want to eat (yes, they are addicting!), and that diet drinks can cause you to crave other sweets--including simple carbs--too much.
Current size: 18 U.S.
Goal size: 14 U.S.

yoozer

Post by yoozer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Alternatively, this news report could be doing the classic thing of confusing correlation with cause. Because, who drinks diet soda in the first place? Overweight people, mostly.
It's like saying WeightWatchers makes you fat (although, come to think of it...)

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Mm the reporting is a bit iffy - as yoozer said - correlation does not mean causation.

I googled around for the research article, and they definitely don't try and say that there is a direct causal link between diet drinks and increased waist size.

The authors actually do say that there are a number of probable reasons for this correlation that are not about 'diet drinks make you fat', it is about who is drinking diet drinks and why. People who drink diet soda may be more concerned about weight gain anyway, and it just doesn't help.

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:03 pm

I certainly agree that correlation does not equal causation, however there are many studies that find significant correlations between drinking diet soda and numerous weight related issues (take your pick-increased obesity, increased weight circumference, increased blood glucose).

If someone can point me to true health benefits to diet sodas (in light of all of these reported associations), I may consider starting them up again. In the meantime, because diet sodas offer no apparent good and some potential bad, mine will stay on the shelf for the time being.
Make the Better Choice

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:40 pm

There's definitely a lot of correlation, but I agree causation is unclear.

It is clear that there is no health benefit, however, for me the benefit is something other than water to drink. For this reason, I do drink one a day (and occasionally two). I don't like tea and get nauseous from more than a tiny bit of coffee. That only leaves calorie heavy juice or milk (or regular sugar soda) or artificially sweetened things like diet soda or crystal light. I drink 16-20 cups of water a day so I'm definitely getting that in, but it's hard to drink nothing but water. Sorry to hijack, but would love other suggestions and since it's kind of come up, I thought I'd ask. :)

Julie

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm sure diet soda is bad. I do occasionally allow myself a diet dr pepper now and then..not too often though. I think just like coffee was bad for us at one time, or wine, or butter, etc. they come up with no coffee is good, eggs are good, etc. etc. I use splenda in my coffee, and I truly like it better than sugar, sugar has a weird taste to it..

I opt for an occasional treat of diet soda. :)

p.s. I see you selected the Buffalo News, I'm from Buffalo.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:38 pm

thtrchic wrote:It is clear that there is no health benefit, however, for me the benefit is something other than water to drink. For this reason, I do drink one a day (and occasionally two). I don't like tea and get nauseous from more than a tiny bit of coffee. That only leaves calorie heavy juice or milk (or regular sugar soda) or artificially sweetened things like diet soda or crystal light. I drink 16-20 cups of water a day so I'm definitely getting that in, but it's hard to drink nothing but water. Sorry to hijack, but would love other suggestions and since it's kind of come up, I thought I'd ask. :)

Julie
Julie, sometimes I have water with just a bit of juice in it. That way I get some flavor without the full calories of juice.

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:42 pm

I have been drinking H2Oh, a carbonated water with just a hint of natural flavor. No sugar, no sweetener. It fits a need.
Make the Better Choice

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:30 am

I drank h2oh while out of the country a couple years ago and really liked it but I have never seen it in the stores here. I will have to look for it again!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:15 am

I'll look for h2oh too. And consider slightly juiced water, or maybe slightly juiced sparkling water?

Thanks for the suggestions.
julie

Andie

Post by Andie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:55 pm

I find diet pop really addictive. I started drinking it in high school, and consumed it very heavily (at least one can a day, maybe more) for the next ten years. I gave it up during both of my pregnancies, but started drinking it again after my first. It seems like I'm unable to just reduce my consumption, if I have it in the house I'll drink it every day. It has never helped me lose weight, in fact I think it does personally make me hungrier. I've finally given it up for good now, and I haven't had one in about 3 months. I do feel better and more in control of my eating, and I feel like it's helped me lose weight. I will drink regular pop now and then, but I don't enjoy it as much as diet cola. It seems more filling and makes me feel a little ill (maybe all the sugar?)
Now I drink low sodium club soda, which gives the bubbles but nothing else.. it's a good substitute.
Back after a long hiatus.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Yes, I was researching this recently ... Diet Soda is supposed to trick your brain ... you have the sweet taste but no calories, so your body is confused and this leads you to want to eat more, usually sweets !

I cut down a lot on Diet soda for 2-3 weeks now. I used to have one 2 L. bottle per week and now it's one per month. I just drink water most of the times instead.

Marc ;-)

39 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 204-205 Pounds