Beware: "Embrace snacking" campaign

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

emj383

Beware: "Embrace snacking" campaign

Post by emj383 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:05 pm

I've been seeing these Special K "Embrace snacking" commercials and I just have to laugh. Basically, they show females sneaking "bad" foods like doughnuts and greasy chips, while rationalizing to themselves why it's okay. In comes Special K to save the day (sarcasm) with their supposedly healthy substitutes. For the salt cravings, they are pushing their pop chips and for the sweet cravings, they are pushing their fruit crisps. While these snacks are lower calorie, they're of course full of chemicals so I wouldn't deem them as healthy as the company would like us to think.

At the very end they urge us to "embrace snacking" and turn to the Special K options instead of the junkier stuff. Had I not been doing No S for two years now, I'd probably try out some of these snacks and eat them between meals during the week and/or weekends. I am so glad these ads don't sway me. With No S, I have found that snacking has lost its appeal because I truly enjoy being hungry for a regular meal. Snacks end up ruining my appetite now. So even on S days I no longer have this pull to "embrace snacking," though that took a long time to naturally occur I will say. When I see these commercials, I think of Reinhard pointing out that of course companies push us to buy snacks, after all, they can't sell "no snacks." It's all about making money - sad, but true!

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:12 pm

If one were on the "Special K Diet", they would need to embrace the snacking, as they would probably be starving!

Thanks for sharing - I have not seen the commercials yet.
Eileen

emj383

Post by emj383 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:23 pm

Good point! :D
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

keriamon

Post by keriamon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:20 pm

If one were on the "Special K Diet", they would need to embrace the snacking, as they would probably be starving!
I was thinking the exact same thing!

If you look at the calorie restrictions that most diets advocate, it's 1,200 calories--regardless of your age, sex, height, weight, or activity level.

A woman of my height, weight, and age, who is working a desk job needs approximately 2,051 calories a day to maintain weight. Daily exercise (such as standing all day and/or walking to and from work) ups it to 2,499, with absolutely no less than 1,720 calories a day recommended. Anything less than 1,720 calories runs the risk of resetting your metabolism and causing you to hoard fat. And even 1,720 is not suggested for long-term, or the same thing can happen. (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm).

So, yeah, can you imagine how hungry I would be if I was eating 1,200 calories a day when I need about 2,500 to maintain? That's just under half my daily calorie needs! Yeah, I'd be snacking too!
Current size: 18 U.S.
Goal size: 14 U.S.

keriamon

Post by keriamon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:50 pm

I'll add a funny ad I saw on 20 Habits that Make You Fat (http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis ... ke-you-fat). Oh, the irony!
SNACK YOURSELF THIN! It can be a challenge to find snacks low in sugar and high in protein and fiber. Our list of the 50 Best Snack Foods in America will help keep you lean and full all day long!
Current size: 18 U.S.
Goal size: 14 U.S.

Nicest of the Damned

Re: Beware: "Embrace snacking" campaign

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:31 pm

emj383 wrote:I've been seeing these Special K "Embrace snacking" commercials and I just have to laugh. Basically, they show females sneaking "bad" foods like doughnuts and greasy chips, while rationalizing to themselves why it's okay. In comes Special K to save the day (sarcasm) with their supposedly healthy substitutes. For the salt cravings, they are pushing their pop chips and for the sweet cravings, they are pushing their fruit crisps. While these snacks are lower calorie, they're of course full of chemicals so I wouldn't deem them as healthy as the company would like us to think.

At the very end they urge us to "embrace snacking" and turn to the Special K options instead of the junkier stuff.
Note who is advocating snacking in this way, and why. The Kellogg Company, which makes Special K, does not care if you are fat or thin. What they care about is that you buy their product. They don't tell you to eat their product because it is healthier than the alternatives, but so they can make money. Of course they're going to advocate snacking, and lots of it- they sell snack food!

I'm skeptical of any dietary advice given by anyone who makes money selling food, because at least part of their motivation is going to be to sell more food.