Showdown at the Hometown Buffet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ginmarie

Showdown at the Hometown Buffet

Post by ginmarie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:11 am

Went on a very, very rare real date with my honey this evening. Usually our dates are grabbing a hamburger and running errands LOL. We decided to splurge a bit and go to a restaurant we never get to eat at because 1) it's quite a distance and 2) our usual budget doesn't fit meal out over $12.00 total. Honey got to choose because I chose the entertainment part of our date. So that is how I found myself eye ball to eye ball with an (cue suspense music) all you can eat buffet! So much food, so many choices, such a stupid expectation(though not hubby's or mine thankfully) that one must pig-out to get the value of the price. S day or not, I was soo not wanting to go nuts. Ah, salad bar thou art my savior. Headed there first and then I used my dibby-dab method of handling a lot of yummy choices. A dibby of this, a dab of that and a heaping helping of veggies and fruit. That worked well, though upon finishing, I felt just a little over-full and then came...(more suspense music) the dessert decision. Hubs went to get his and I sat and thought about what was available and how I felt at that moment. I realized that nothing there was worth getting that nasty over-stuffed feeling for. I knew I wasn't hungry, dessert would have just been for my tongue as my tummy was definitely done. So I skipped dessert! Rah-rah-rah!!! Take that buffet-of-doom! Hah! :)

Now I have to confess, if it had been something amazing, like death-by-chocolate cake or Cheesecake Factory Key Lime, that would have been a different story. :)

BTW: We had a lovely time. :)
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:53 am

Ginny - Congrats on conquering that windmill, I mean, buffet! :D Glad to hear the date went well. Give your honey another thank you kiss today.

determined

Post by determined » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Ginny....what a victory! You battled the buffet and won!! Congratulations...you did wonderfully....

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Good for you!

What on earth was your husband thinking when he chose that place?

ginmarie

Post by ginmarie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:19 am

Who Me? wrote:Good for you!

What on earth was your husband thinking when he chose that place?
Ah, he was just thinking about how it used to be a favorite place of ours, so it was a treat to get to go. I love him the sweet guy. :)
05/14/11 - 165 lbs
05/01/12 - 142 lbs
No S Lifestyle For Keeps :)

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:37 pm

Yay, ginmarie!

I had my own close encounter of the buffet kind on Sunday. I managed to keep it to a reasonable amount, even though they had a dish I really like on the buffet. I felt resentful afterwards, but I did manage not to overeat.

NoSnacker

Re: Showdown at the Hometown Buffet

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:05 am

ginmarie wrote: I knew I wasn't hungry, dessert would have just been for my tongue as my tummy was definitely done. So I skipped dessert! Rah-rah-rah!!! Take that buffet-of-doom! Hah! :)
Congrats on how well you did...and I just love how you put the dessert dilemma to rest!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Congratulations...

My wife and I have realized that buffets aren't worth the price because we don't eat enough when we have gone. The last buffet we attended was the Italian Night at The Palms in Las Vegas.

I do remembering Home Town Buffet though, and digging the sliced roast beef.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Andie

Post by Andie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:50 pm

Wow that's great! I had a similar experience at a chinese food buffet this week (only one plate, half veggies, etc.), however I did sample some small dessert. Another reason why I love no s: dates are fun! I remember being on the south beach diet and going out with my husband, and feeling so deprived/angry at him/ resentful while he savored a piece of cheesecake that I couldn't even have a bite of on my "diet".
Back after a long hiatus.

SunCat

Post by SunCat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Good story - great succes :)

As usual, I feel like the fish going the other way, here. I love buffets now. I used to eat so little, they were never worth it to me. Since I started No S I can eat so much more than I used to be able to, I can finally enjoy them :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:36 pm

Andie wrote:Wow that's great! I had a similar experience at a chinese food buffet this week (only one plate, half veggies, etc.), however I did sample some small dessert. Another reason why I love no s: dates are fun! I remember being on the south beach diet and going out with my husband, and feeling so deprived/angry at him/ resentful while he savored a piece of cheesecake that I couldn't even have a bite of on my "diet".
:lol: Don't hate him because he eats cheesecake. That might be the line of the year.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79