Partners' Participation

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Who Me?

Partners' Participation

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Robb and I were talking about the changes in my eating habits, and he told me that merely by not eating sweets when I don't eat sweets, he's been able to lose enough weight to fit into pants that he couldn't a month ago.

Anyone else have a significant other participating in No S? How's it going?

(Also, why is weight loss so much easier for men, dang it all?)

Andie

Post by Andie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 pm

My husbands on board and has started adopting some of the habits (he now only drinks pop on the weekends) and he is slowly but steadily losing weight. He doesn't agree with the no snacks rule though, and he still has an apple or a piece of cheese as a snack mid morning and mid afternoon. He has more natural self discipline than I do though. He's the kind of person that can have treats in the house and only eat a tiny bit each day. I however, would just keep picking at it until it's gone. (before the structure of no s)

*sigh* I think it is easier for men to lose weight. They burn more calories because they have more lean body mass usually. He lost 10 pounds just by switching to black coffee.
Back after a long hiatus.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:22 pm

My other half refuses to do NoS :lol: Mind you he doesn't need to lose weight - he lost a couple of stone pretty much just by switching to pepsi max from full fat pepsi (men are proper bastards sometimes....)

He snacks a fair bit between meals but he works out quite often and is trying to put ON muscle, so he needs to eat more. He has gone from snacking on biscuits to snacking on yoghurt which I suppose is better, and eats less crap now we don't keep much in the house.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:36 pm

My husband is another one of those loathsome men who need to put on weight -- he asks me for advice about what he should eat to gain.

Marcie

Post by Marcie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:51 pm

My partner's participating casually in NoS--treating it more as a framework than a solid rule system. I do most of our meal planning, and we cook together, so our eating habits tend to overlap pretty substantially no matter what.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:01 pm

If I switch to black coffee, can I lose 10 pounds too? Oh...I forgot...I don't drink coffee at all....drat.

Determined
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:11 pm

My husband has seen me try so many things over the years that this to him is probably another one of those diets. I explain it is not. He found a diet on the internet and plans on buying the book and was trying to convince me to listen to him and I wouldn't..told him I'm done with eating certain foods, counting, weighing and snacking during meals, cutting out carbs, etc..

Anyhow, I guess he might consider once he witnesses success.

:mrgreen:
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:58 pm

I've dropped six pounds while doing my action research on No S which doesn't sound like a lot but I was at a high end of the BMI and now I'm at the middle. That hasn't convinced DH though.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:57 pm

My husband knows about it, and has seen me be successful on it. I am not sure if my son (age 10) has clued in. He knows I don't eat desserts during the week, because I've said that. ("Are you going to have some, mom?" "No, I don't eat desserts during the week. You don't need to have dessert every day." He doesn't agree - at least not for himself.)

But it's kind of low-key at our house. Sometimes I mention something about how I like it, but that's it.

The biggest influences are that...
- I'm a stickler for regular meals, even on weekends and vacations.
- I discourage snacking in general, though I don't absolutely forbid it (talking about the little guy here - the big guy gets to make his own decisions).
- I bake on weekends. :) They like that.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:37 pm

My husband knows about it, but I doubt that he even knows what it is called. He is not overweight, and he runs 40-50 miles a week so he can eat whatever he wants. He snacks and he loves his sweets.

Sometimes he still offers me sweets or snacks during the week even though he has to know by now that I do not eat them. He scoffs at the rules and says things like "one will not hurt you..." However, my response is that I am sticking with the rules and he cannot argue with the results. He has finally started to get it, and he has not offered me anything for awhile.

On the other hand, he also has never criticized my weight, and I have always felt that he accepts me the way I am.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:57 am

My hubby is doing it with me, right from when I first decided to do No S he thought it sounded like a good idea. He's not as strict as I am but he does try to follow it, and as we no longer buy 'snack food' that alone makes it easier.

I don't know if he's had a big weight loss with No S but he does like it, and thinks its a very sane and healthy way to eat and approach food so he's happy to continue doing it, he also agrees that treats taste better if you have to wait for S days to have them.
When nothing goes right...go left.

Naebird

Post by Naebird » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:41 pm

My hubby doesn't follow no s at all. He pretty much lets me do what I want without complaining though.

He did want to go out for ice cream though last monday and I told him I couldn't since it wasn't an s day. So he said that that was okay he would just call it "smonday" from now on and then we could go out for ice cream. :roll:

I told him to forget it. I am not a big ice cream eater anyway so no big deal if they all wanted ice cream.

Pfft, smonday. What a doofus. :D
SW - 220 (started July 21, 2011)
CW - 208.4
GW - 165ish

5'11, 35 year old, girly girl

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
Aristotle

Naebird- Getting healthier everyday!!

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 pm

My husband was already trying to cut down on soda, so he joined me on No S. As he is very overweight, I am motivated to keep No S because when I fall off the wagon, so does he.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Nicest Husband doesn't do No S. He tried for a while, but went back to his old eating habits. He does do the Nine Inch Mod with me, though (we eat off 9-inch plates on my N days). He's very supportive of my being on No S, though- if I tell him I can't do something because it's an N day, he usually says, "okay". Ever since I told him I was on No S, he has not tried to talk me into breaking the rules.

The closest we've come to anything like that was when we had some chicken in the fridge that I was planning for after the weekend (we were going to do something he likes more than I do, so I wanted to have something I like better on an S day), but he wanted to use it up. I ended up winning that argument.

He was less cooperative, though, when, pre-No-S, I wanted to start cooking in smaller portions. He thinks something's wrong if there aren't leftovers. I don't push him on that, though, especially since "no seconds" takes care of the problem of eating too much.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Thalia, tell your husband if he wants to gain weight to limit his calories enough tomake him feel cranky and preoccupied with food for a week or two and then let go and gorge for a few weeks. Then repeat the cylce several times. It's worked for millions of dieters; it should work for him.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 pm

oolala53 wrote:Thalia, tell your husband if he wants to gain weight to limit his calories enough tomake him feel cranky and preoccupied with food for a week or two and then let go and gorge for a few weeks. Then repeat the cylce several times. It's worked for millions of dieters; it should work for him.
:D
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:35 am

I wasn't kidding, but it is worth :)-ing over.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Clarica

Post by Clarica » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:30 am

I totally laughed. :)

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:46 am

oolala53 wrote:Thalia, tell your husband if he wants to gain weight to limit his calories enough to make him feel cranky and preoccupied with food for a week or two and then let go and gorge for a few weeks. Then repeat the cylce several times. It's worked for millions of dieters; it should work for him.
That's very funny (and tragic at the same time)!

gk

Post by gk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:23 am

My husband is the type that can eat whatever he wants without gaining weight. However, he often chooses to eat a piece of fruit or veggies instead of snack/sweets because he prefers them. (That's just weird.)

The other day I was rummaging through my "fat clothes" looking for something to wear to a wedding, as everything else was too small. Ten minutes later he comes up and is rummaging through his closet for smaller pants because everything was too BIG.

I tell ya, it's just plain annoying.
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.